x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Wndows CE 6.0 administrator account

srimanthadxb Page Icon Posted 2016-01-10 11:11 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Dear Friends,

Does anyone knows how to add an ADMINISTRATOR account and control access in WinCE6.0 ?

My requirement is to Access control the Flash ROM in a windows CE 6.0 based GPS device, specially when connected to PC it'll connect as Removable device. I need to stop this, but when ever I need I need to connect it as well.

I'm not a programmer, does any once tried similar before, and please guide me if any programmes available or by editing registry values etc...

Regards,

Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-01-10 1:10 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Please don't double post requests for help.

But to answer your question, Windows CE doesn't work like your desktop Windows. There is no Administrator account. Except for those configurations that are controlled by hardware, all others are specified in the "registry." The registry is very similar to a desktop registry, there are keys that specify how the serial/USB ports are to be handled. Sometimes the registry has the port (device) recognized as a mass storage device, which you have now. But sometimes it has it recognized as a standard serial port or a com: port.

The variations depend a lot on the CE operating system flashed by the manufacturer. They may intentionally limit access so the end user cannot accidently corrupt the device by making certain drivers nonavailable. They intentionally try to lock you out. So you may or may not be able to modify yours.

If you can boot to Windows CE, then you should be able to run a registry editor from the SD card. There are several here on HPCFactor within the software area...just do a search for registry editors.

Be sure to be very careful and know exactly what you are changing so that if it doesn't work, you can change it back. In the images below I used CapXXpro for my screen capture and the latest ARM version of Tascal Registry Editor. These are screenshots from my 7" Windows CE GPS.

(20080223004140.jpg)

(20160110154909.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20080223004140.jpg (130KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments 20160110154909.jpg (183KB - 1 downloads)
 Top of the page
srimanthadxb Page Icon Posted 2016-01-11 5:45 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Many Thanks. I will follow your guideline and try registry editor.
 Top of the page
srimanthadxb Page Icon Posted 2016-01-12 10:08 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi Rich,

I have tried your 1st method. and I did changed the Reg.value to '0'
but after restart everything will go back to original value, which is '1'.

but I didnt understand your 2nd way.

Do you think GPS suppler not allowing me to do any change?

If that the case, should I have to play around the firmware?
anyway I already got the firmware too.

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2016-01-13 7:06 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The second way tells your PC how to recognize the GPS when you connect it with the USB cable. If you change the entry from "-" to Serial_Class, then connecting it will open ActiveSync, and you can synchronize some data between the PC and the GPS. If you change it to Mass_Storage_Class, then it will show up like a USB flash drive on the PC when connected.
 Top of the page
srimanthadxb Page Icon Posted 2016-01-13 9:37 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks.
 Top of the page
srimanthadxb Page Icon Posted 2016-01-13 9:44 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Are there any ADMINISTRATOR executable s written by any of you/any developer, that I can use if for my WindowsCE6.0 GPS device, for access controlling to the device.
I did a search on internet but couldn't find any.
 Top of the page
srimanthadxb Page Icon Posted 2016-01-20 10:31 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Dear Friends,

When I edit registry as above 1st method (Current_user/controlpanel/comm)by changing 1 to 0, it will disable my Active-Sync but dones not disable Mass-Storage connection.

As the 2nd picture I have changed - to Serial_Class, even that nothing new happend.

Can somebody give me any more clue to , how disable Flash ROM connecting as Mass storage , when i connect this GPS unit to a PC.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-01-20 1:37 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

There is one other thing you could do that doesn't require any registry edits at all.

Purchase a simple USB extension cable and then simply open the connection for pins 2 and 3. These are the pins that carry the data. Leaving 1 and 4 intact will enable you to charge the unit. But you will get no signal connection.

You could either pull the pins out of the connector (kinda hard) or just open the cable and find the wires for pins 2 & 3 using a continuity (multimeter) checker and cut them. Or you might be able to just paint them with fingernail polish to insulate them from making contact.

Or if you are not cheap like me, you can simply buy a cable already made...see eBay auction picture below...

(usb-pinout-diagram.jpg)

(cable.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments usb-pinout-diagram.jpg (64KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments cable.jpg (95KB - 1 downloads)
 Top of the page
srimanthadxb Page Icon Posted 2016-01-21 10:09 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks for your new idea and pictures.

Actually I have thought about it and originally I planned to remove the Data contacts form the PCB micro USB mount. so it will not work at any cable even with other DATA connections.

But my requirement is, I need to connect by using USB some times. And other times I need to disable it. (I feel software control will be the best option)

Thanks to you guys , I 've started learning about RegEdit ,

but still i couldn't find any way to disable GPS connecting to teh PC as MASS-STORAGE

MY GPS, windows CE 6.0 Registry structure is very much similar to the above pictures.

I tried with ;
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\Profiles
- MountFlags"=dword:
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\USB\FunctionDrivers
-

if any one has any suggestion please help me.

Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-01-21 2:07 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

How about just getting a switchable cable then...much easier than making registry changes.

(switchcable.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments switchcable.jpg (137KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
srimanthadxb Page Icon Posted 2016-01-24 9:58 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks all for your ideas and support. I think I've found some way to block the mass-storage by playing with Reg-Edit and block active sync.

Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 12