x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Anyone still use a Jornada 690 in the Year 2016

shanc20 Page Icon Posted 2016-03-16 2:58 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Just curious to see if anyone still plays around with the vintage tech and what you have installed on your Jornada.
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2016-03-18 11:34 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I had a J720 but the display cable and the headphone socket connection were becoming quite flaky, so I sold it.

Had some fun with it, using Opera with the RedGear layer and an Orinoco wireless card, playing Squares (bundled with Microsoft Plus), experimenting with TCPMP (media player). But these days I have little room for auxillary gadgets in my life.
 Top of the page
H.S.G Page Icon Posted 2016-03-18 6:44 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I do a fair amount more than just play around with my HP Jornada 720, it's my primary portable computing device, I carry it everywhere I go and I still use it on a daily, nay, hourly basis! It's equipped with a 32GB Compact Flash card and so serves not only as a device for business and productivity, but also adequately as a multimedia device. It holds somewhere near three-thousand songs, and a good few thousand of images to boot. At some point in the future, it is my intention to scale down and compress a feature-length movie and load it onto the Jornada, although I'm yet to get around to doing that.

Not counting leaving it wired up to the car stereo to play music, much of my time spent using the Jornada is spent writing, this is why I chose to condemn my iPad to the attic and switch to a Jornada in the first place, to write on, and it certainly does not disappoint, working with RTF files from my PC is a breeze. Writing aside, now I may surprise you here, I spend a good amount of my time painting on it... Yes, you did hear that right. I've never enjoyed much success working on a high-resolution canvas, I tend to spend an awful lot of time planning the painting, worrying about every tiny little detail, and not a lot of time painting. A low resolution canvas, 640x240 of course, I find far less intimidating and I enjoy working on far more.
 Top of the page
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2016-03-19 12:00 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Wow! That's cool that you get that much use out of your Jornada. Especially the writing....I can just barely touch-type on my Jornada, with more errors than on my other handhelds (and I have skinny fingers). I love my handhelds, but I struggle with their relative lack of connectivity. I'd use them more if I could sync them with my live.com calendar.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2016-03-19 2:22 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Has anyone other than the original poster noticed the title (and location) of this thread?

I still have a 690, though I haven't played with it much lately since I've been giving more attention to CE 5 and later devices. Porting .NET Compact Framework 1.0 SP3 to CE 2.xx has broadened the software choices a bit, though all the apps are pretty old:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=12404&po...
 Top of the page
SirThoreth Page Icon Posted 2016-03-23 10:41 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

CE Geek - 2016-03-18 6:22 PM

Has anyone other than the original poster noticed the title (and location) of this thread?

Maybe?

I still have a 690, though I haven't played with it much lately since I've been giving more attention to CE 5 and later devices. Porting .NET Compact Framework 1.0 SP3 to CE 2.xx has broadened the software choices a bit, though all the apps are pretty old:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=12404&po...

I've thought about picking up a Jornada 680 or 690 for writing, to replace my 620LX, but my 620LX has the upgrade to HPC Pro, which includes a RAM upgrade, so the only thing I'd really be gaining is the better keyboard. I still carry mine, but I'm more inclined to get a better Bluetooth keyboard for my phone, which runs Windows 10 Mobile than to replace the 620LX at this point.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2016-03-24 12:12 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Actually, I think the 620LX/660LX has a decent keyboard too.
 Top of the page
ski_pilot Page Icon Posted 2017-03-10 1:58 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

As with H.S.G, I use a Jornada 720 on a daily basis. She is named Diane, after Special Agent Cooper's dictaphone in Twin Peaks, and I take her with me everywhere I go. I've expanded her memory with a 4GB CF card and she didn't even blink. Pretty fkn insane for hardware this old to still hold its own against current devices, and even exceed them in quite a few respects. Durability being one of them.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 12