x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Creating a registry hive

SwizzleDude
SwizzleDude Page Icon Posted 2016-03-20 9:04 AM
#
Hello,
I love wasting my time by playing with embedded devices, so I bought a dish receiver with Windows CE 5.0. I got my hands on the firmware image, the classic NK.NB0. I disabled the startup of the default interface, and set the shell folders to a USB stick, then I flashed the image onto the thing. Boom! I'm now able to browse the web and write text with wordpad. Unfortunately all registry changes are undone after a reboot.
My question: Is it possible to create a hive registry file by modifying the ROM registry? If so, how?
Thanks in advance!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2016-03-20 7:04 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

If there is, I'd love to hear about it. At least a couple of my CE 5 devices do this: the MintPad and the Delstar DS-700. Fortunately both are suspendable, meaning I don't have to shut them down completely, but I have to save the registry using a registry editor (I actually use Total Commander and copy HKCR, HKCU, and HKLM as separate .reg files) so it can be restored in the event the battery runs down.

Where did you get the ROM image? (There are several versions of nk.nb0, for more than one version of the ARM926 processor.) What processor name is given in the System applet in the Control Panel?
 Top of the page
SwizzleDude
SwizzleDude Page Icon Posted 2016-03-20 7:10 PM
#
I can post the image here, it's the original one. The processor is a NXP (Philips) PNX8950EH. It's MIPS.
http://www.mikrocontroller.net/attachment/111731/reflash_wince.rar
It's the WinCe1.nb0 file.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2016-03-20 7:47 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Whoa, MIPS. Haven't seen that with CE 5 outside of those personal media players like my Cowon P5 and Viliv X5. (Those use the more common Alchemy Au1200 processor, though.) I assumed it was ARM-based, possibly with a Samsung S3C series or even Jade Z228, the latter having other ROM images available. I'd have to stick with my previous suggestion, for lack of a better one.
 Top of the page
SwizzleDude
SwizzleDude Page Icon Posted 2016-03-20 8:13 PM
#
Okay, I think the receiver doesn't have a suspend feature. . or what does it look like? When I click suspend in the start menu, there's just a clicking sound from the power supply and i turns off.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2016-03-20 10:14 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Most of these CE 5 and later devices don't have a sleep mode where you can just turn it back on instantly by pushing the power button and resume right where you left off. On those devices, if you click on Start -> Suspend (or use a suspend app) the device will power off completely. My guess is that's how your device works. No one here has been able to change that setting on any device thus far, even though there are supposed to be registry keys addressing it.
 Top of the page
SwizzleDude
SwizzleDude Page Icon Posted 2016-03-21 6:53 AM
#
Hm, that's somewhat annoying. I've heard of third Party programs which manually initiate a suspend or even shut down the devices like on full Windows. Do these really exist?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2016-03-21 9:20 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Well, again, they just call functions that are already enabled on the device.
 Top of the page
SwizzleDude
SwizzleDude Page Icon Posted 2016-03-22 6:46 AM
#
Aw bummer, at least I can edit the registry directly from the nk.nb0 and flash it onto the device. Thanks for yout assistance anyway
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 8