x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Movable windows?

SwizzleDude
SwizzleDude Page Icon Posted 2016-03-30 7:32 AM
#
Hi all!
I'm not new to Windows CE, but I found something pretty cool (what you guys probably knew ages before me. . .).
You know, if you open explorer or internet explorer, as an example, there's that gray bar at the top, which lacks the option to drag the window around, to resize it, maximise minimise and so on.
But when I pressed F11, the a blue bar with the three buttons on the right appereared, and I was able to move the window around too.
Does anyone know how to enable that blue bar by default? After a warm boot it dissappears again.
Thanks in advance!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2016-03-30 8:24 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

All these CE devices in my house, and I never knew that - but I just confirmed it on one of my CE 5 devices. Cool!

I doubt there's a way to enable it by default, since it can only be applied after opening an application window (including Explorer, which is just a second instance of explorer.exe). Unless someone can figure a way to write the necessary function calls into another program. Someone has already done that with this utility:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=14778
 Top of the page
SwizzleDude
SwizzleDude Page Icon Posted 2016-03-30 8:41 AM
#
Thanks for the info!
I tried downloading FloatMe, but it gives me a 403 Access denied error.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2016-03-30 8:47 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

We have it here:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/scl/details.asp?id=665&page=details

I found a post by our most prolific member (cmonex) mentioning the F11 effect, a few posts down on this page:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=8725&sta...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2016-03-30 9:49 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It's an edit to the third parameter of the CreateWindow process that calls WinMain i.e. it's a hex edit of a 32-bit integer.

Although WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW is not supported in Windows CE, the functionality can still be achieved by obtaining a bitwise OR of the style flags WS_OVERLAPPED, WS_CAPTION, WS_SYSMENU, WS_THICKFRAME, WS_MINIMIZEBOX, and WS_MAXIMIZEBOX.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms908192.aspx
 Top of the page
SwizzleDude
SwizzleDude Page Icon Posted 2016-03-30 2:53 PM
#
Okay O.o
Is it only possible to resized the current window from where you executed the file (from explorer)?
Please tell me that I'm just too stupid for using this program
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-03-30 3:37 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Kind of sounds similar to the "Float Me" software....
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2016-03-31 12:08 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Yeah, Rich, FloatMe is very, very similar to FloatMe.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-03-31 12:53 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Geeezzz, I guess I should read the posts more carefully...okay, I filled my stupidity quota for this week.
 Top of the page
SwizzleDude
SwizzleDude Page Icon Posted 2016-04-01 7:34 AM
#
Guys, that made my day. . .
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2016-04-01 5:21 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I notice that the F11 effect is different on different devices. It does work in both CE 5 and CE 6, but does not work in any devices with Via processors (VT8430, VT8500, WM8505, WM8650). (That also means I can't verify whether it can work in Windows Embedded Compact 7, since I haven't tracked down a WEC 7 device that doesn't have either the WM8650 or WM8850 processor. Note, in any event, that Via-based CE devices also don't support display rotation.) And, unlike FloatMe, it doesn't work in every application where the title bar is missing by default. For example, I tried it with Total Commander open, but it had no effect.

Now, if we could just get the old pre-CE 3 "Windows CE" blue banner to show up on the Start Menu . . .
 Top of the page
SwizzleDude
SwizzleDude Page Icon Posted 2016-04-01 10:31 PM
#
I have to correct you there. On my 8505 netbook it does work, but you have to quit the myServe.exe process, it uses F11 and F12 to control brightness. I also ran CE 7 in an Emulator, and it worked!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2016-04-02 2:39 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Being strictly a user and not a programmer, I've always wondered what MyServe.exe is for on my Via devices. I always assumed it to be an essential process, since it loads by default after bootup, so I'd never tried disabling it. (And FloatMe works fine on those devices anyway.) I wondered if that process was also interfering with display rotation, so I tried disabling it (finding it was just another program loaded in the service tray) and then tried a couple of display rotation utilities. No luck, though - still no display rotation.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.219 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 8