x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Any newer HPC's?

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... Next »
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2016-08-22 8:11 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

OK, I get it now.......

Thanks!
 Top of the page
psifi Page Icon Posted 2016-08-26 10:57 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

CE Geek - 2016-08-13 3:46 AM

It might be a good idea to write up a CESD on how to unlock the Sharp Brain. The pages linked above are in Japanese and don't seem to translate well in Chrome. The English translation is pretty hard to comprehend - and on top of that, with the dictionary interface also in Japanese on the device, it's hard to navigate the instructions if you don't read Japanese. The selections on the device may have to be identified by their icons. (Also, I'm surprised they don't mention changing the boot sequence in HKLM/init [to boot explorer.exe instead of the dictionary interface] once you're in Windows Explorer or ceOpener. Why shouldn't that be possible? )

I would be interested if you can get this to work I couldn't. See my thread titled ... Sharp Brain pw-A7000 electronic dictionary..

Allan
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2016-08-26 8:08 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I got hold of a PW-A9000 relatively cheap on eBay (about 80 USD), and stingraze helped me with the method. In order to access the underlying CE 6 OS, I had to create a folder with a Japanese name on a TF (microSD) card. (Unfortunately, this post won't display Kanji characters, unless another one of our staff here knows how to do it.) The folders for ceOpener and/or TestCE can then be put inside that folder, where they will be found by opening the app on the home screen that looks like an open box with a variety of objects inside (on my PW-A9000 it's the icon farthest to the right in the second row). They then show up on a list on the screen, and selecting one opens that app. Once you have that access, you can then use either ceOpener or TestCE to open explorer.exe, or you can use the Run dialog in either and browse for the app you want to run.

I should point out, however, that the core OS on the device has several limitations:

1) There is no native CE desktop nor a native CE taskbar/system tray, only the "My Device" file browser. In TestCE there is a menu selection to try to create a CE taskbar, but it only creates an invisible one, though you can open the native Start Menu by tapping on the area where the "Start" button would be. (And you can do the HKLM/System/Explorer/Shell Folders registry hack to create permanent shortcuts there.) ceOpener creates its own desktop and taskbar as well as a rudimentary replacement for the Start Menu, but that taskbar doesn't have a system tray.

2) It dumps any registry changes or installed files other than those on the card or in the NAND folders when rebooted; moreover, the NAND folders don't seem to accept any new files even though each one has quite a bit of space left. So every time you reboot the device, you go back to the Brain home screen and have to navigate through it as above to access explorer.exe again. I tried a registry flush app to save registry settings, but they still get dumped on reboot. Fortunately, the device is suspendable, either by pressing the power button or by folding the device closed (like some older H/PCs), so you can at least save your settings and pick up right were you left off as long as you don't have to reboot the device.

3) There are also plenty of files missing from \Windows, including lots of DLL files [even aygshell.dll is missing] as well as the files needed to make an ActiveSync connection.

The Brain does seem to run a long time on a pair of AA batteries. I must've put in an hour of use on it before the three bars on the battery indicator dropped to two.
 Top of the page
psifi Page Icon Posted 2016-08-26 9:25 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thanks for the reply is there anyway you can do a screen shot of the Japanese characters so I can have a look. I have a PW a7000 which is no too different from yours.
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2016-08-26 9:42 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

CE Geek,

Thanks for your update.....

As the Brain has no internet access, what do you use it for?

Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2016-08-27 3:40 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

psifi - 2016-08-26 1:25 PM

Thanks for the reply is there anyway you can do a screen shot of the Japanese characters so I can have a look. I have a PW a7000 which is no too different from yours.

Meant to also ask you (in post above...) what do you use the Brain for?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2016-08-27 8:21 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Just to tinker with, mostly. I want to see what I can get to work on it. Not being able to sync is a big minus, since the USB client function can be changed from None (power only) to Serial_Class to Mass_Storage_Class, and it does make a serial connection, but then doesn't know what to do cuz the files aren't there. (And, weirdly, changing to Mass_Storage_Class only allows access to one of the NAND folders, which as I said above you don't really seem to be able to do anything with. )

CE Geek - 2016-08-26 12:08 PM

(And you can do the HKLM/System/Explorer/Shell Folders registry hack to create permanent shortcuts there.)

It dumps any registry changes or installed files other than those on the card or in the NAND folders when rebooted; moreover, the NAND folders don't seem to accept any new files even though each one has quite a bit of space left.

Way to contradict yourself, CE Geek. Can't make the shortcuts permanent because the registry change doesn't stick. Duh.
 Top of the page
psifi Page Icon Posted 2016-08-27 8:57 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

The same tinkering. I got mine for £10 a couple of years ago in a junk shop and was quite impressed with the build quality. I found it quite useful as a mp3 player but not much else. So did a bit of investigation on the net and found a lot of (japanese) information on getting the CE6 side to work but the translation to English is very poor. I'm retired and so enjoy fiddling with ce and linux gadgets I'm the generation that grew up with Psion 5's and J720 and so enjoy keyboard devices.
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2016-08-28 5:38 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Thanks for all the info......

So, basically, a fun toy to tinker with......

Good to know...
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2016-09-07 2:01 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

A little off topic, but a little while ago (years) I mentioned that I wanted to build a "new HPC device". Now with 3D printing and super cheap parts through China, why not? We could put our minds together and make an "Open Source Handheld Personal Computer" that would run Linux or it's Android variant. Think, an NEC MP900 sized device with a high resolution display, bluetooth, wifi, GIGS AND GIGS of storage with the ability for anyone to make improvements to the design / software.

Also, on topic: The iRiver translator is being sold for close to 500USD on eBay and around 350USD on Amazon (1 offering). Just a tip if anyone is interested.
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2016-09-07 2:13 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

SOLIDUS - 2016-09-06 6:01 PM

A little off topic, but a little while ago (years) I mentioned that I wanted to build a "new HPC device". Now with 3D printing and super cheap parts through China, why not? We could put our minds together and make an "Open Source Handheld Personal Computer" that would run Linux or it's Android variant. Think, an NEC MP900 sized device with a high resolution display, bluetooth, wifi, GIGS AND GIGS of storage with the ability for anyone to make improvements to the design / software.

Umm, fun thought....however, it would be one to print the physical case for the new HPC device, but a whole nother thing to put all the real electronics into it and get it working.....

If you want to know what that's like, read up on the Pandora handheld and upcoming Pyra handheld project.....then let's talk....

https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/pages/pandora/

https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/pages/pyra/

https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/

It takes a LOT of TIME, ENERGY, and MONEY to make something that really works well......

Also, on topic: The iRiver translator is being sold for close to 500USD on eBay and around 350USD on Amazon (1 offering). Just a tip if anyone is interested.

Thanks for the tip.....
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2016-11-04 11:06 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

@ArchiMark, Pandora is making everything from scratch. I'm talking about taking already available parts from places like Alibaba and putting them together in a 3D printed case. I see some Android mobo's going for under 10USD, screens with touch input, keyboards etc.. I wish I had the time to mock one up with all the pieces in a 3D case to give you an idea.
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2016-11-04 2:01 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

SOLIDUS - 2016-11-04 3:06 AM

@ArchiMark, Pandora is making everything from scratch. I'm talking about taking already available parts from places like Alibaba and putting them together in a 3D printed case. I see some Android mobo's going for under 10USD, screens with touch input, keyboards etc.. I wish I had the time to mock one up with all the pieces in a 3D case to give you an idea.

OK, I understand now......

Thanks.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2016-11-05 9:44 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

I've found something that might be similar to what SOLIDUS has in mind...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZc5gUKcRZA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMkhRK2lV0E

Edited by stingraze 2016-11-05 9:45 AM
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2016-11-05 10:06 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

I've found a pretty neat Raspberry Pi Handheld which you can get the parts from adafruit and 3D print the enclosure.

https://learn.adafruit.com/mini-raspberry-pi-handheld-notebook-palmt...

Bonus: Found this humorous: http://www.instructables.com/id/KeyPi-a-Cheap-Portable-Raspberry-Pi...

Edited by stingraze 2016-11-05 10:11 PM
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 10