x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Socket LPE Ethernet PCMCIA card - no DNS

nicmalone Page Icon Posted 2016-08-04 1:49 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hi all

I have a Socket LP Ethernet PCMCIA card in my Jornada 720. The J70 recognises the card and brings up the Socket IP info window when it is inserted. It says I have an IP address but the DNS and secondary DNS fields are blank and IE complain about no DNS if I try and web browse.

If I manually add a DNS via the J720's Network applet in Settings, remove the card, soft reset.....still no DNS reported in the Socket IP info window. Weirdly, if I check the Cisco adapter properties in the J720's Network settings, it also lacks DNS entries but my Aironet 350 WiFi card works just fine.

Socket LPE is widely reported to just work 'plug 'n play', so what am I doing wrong?

Nic
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2016-08-04 11:19 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

What did you type in as your DNS IP address? Your local router or like Google DNS (8.8.8.8) or other?

Edited by stingraze 2016-08-04 11:20 PM
 Top of the page
nicmalone Page Icon Posted 2016-08-05 11:22 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

I tried both Google DNS 8.8.8.8 (secondary 8.8.4.4). Tried my router's too. Neither worked.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2016-08-05 11:47 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Are there LEDs on your Ethernet card?

If so, are they blinking?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-08-06 1:02 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I tell you, on my LP/E cards I just plugged it in...it automatically used the NDis drivers and connected. Did you try it on any other HPC? Can you verify the card is functional?
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2016-08-07 11:19 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Can you ping local or remote hosts at all? Your gateway, for example.
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2016-08-07 11:21 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Unfortunately I cannot remember any good pinging tool.
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2016-08-07 11:23 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Try this address in your Jornada's browser: http://74.125.232.192 - this is Google.
 Top of the page
nicmalone Page Icon Posted 2016-08-07 11:09 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Well I figured this out. The Socket card I have did not come with the original dongle. I know some of these things are proprietary but for £5 on eBay, I thought I'd take a chance. I connected the card to a GlobalVillage dongle I already have (never got that ethernet card to work with anything!) with the imprinted arrow on the dongle facing up - the obvious orientation, right? Correct for the original GlobalVillage card but it turns out it should be the other way around for the Socket LPE card. The little proprietary crenellations in the card's connector port do not 100% match those on the dongle but are close enough to allow insertion.

On the J720, I can now surf the net plug 'n' play on a wired network (rather than a bridged WEP network, the security of which I am a little concerned about).

Cheers for the help!
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 9