x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

The perspective of a Couch Potato

takwu Page Icon Posted 2004-11-08 2:29 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Ever since the Couch Potatoes are introduced to the Internet, we have had a big dilema: the Couch or the Internet?

For years, the Couch Potatoes (CPs) attempt to eliminate such dilema. The most obvious solution is to bring the computer to the Couch, or vice versa. That is not pretty.

A desktop computer is huge, extremely noisy, and very cumbersome. The closest you can get is setup a desk beside the Couch, which means the computer is a step away. It's way better than a hallway away, but it still breaks the CP's code of never leaving the Couch unless absolutely necessary.

The next obvious solution is to bring a laptop to the Couch. Wow, what a difference. You don't have to leave the Couch, excellent... for two hours maybe three. Worse if you go wireless. Nice personal warmer in the winter too, but a gift from the devil during the summer. Leaving the laptop on the whole time and only using it for a fraction of the time, is a bit inefficient in converting battery power to heat. If it could only be turned off and on instantly, like a...

PDA! Yeah, they are handy little things. Lately you can get wifi on them too. Looks like you're all set. Let's bring up google. No, not youy1e.cunn. g-o-o-g-l-e. Ok, next, let's go to [insert your favourite site]. What do you see? the side menu. Fine; scroll right to the contents. And do that twice for every line you read... ARGH! I'm going to post a new thread to voice my frustration... on second thought, remember youy1e? I'll do it on the desktop, when I'm off [the Couch].

How about something between a PDA and a laptop? Of course, the Handheld PC. But wait, isn't that for "business people"? How does that connect to us Couch Potatoes? Who cares! For a price somewhat less than a laptop, you get a device to surf the web on your Couch, all night long. The Couch and the Internet. Now isn't that a dilema eliminated.
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2004-11-08 4:42 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

LOL

Now all someone needs to say is "but we need a new web browser", and we're back to the most hotly debated topic on this board
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 8