x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Printing a handheld PC

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Next »
mikeschn Page Icon Posted 2016-11-16 11:52 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Printing a handheld PC.

So I figured I'd better start a new thread if I am going to print a handheld PC.

I am hoping to print something that I can slip into my pocket of my dockers pants.

It's obvious there are boards to choose from... https://www.96boards.org/

Next I'll need to find a display, and a keyboard... but isn't the size of the display going to be driven by choice of GUI versus TUI? 200LX vs Jornada?

And it appears my choices of operating systems are Linux, and Android.

So many questions...

Mike...

Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-11-17 11:25 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Mike, why not just use a Android smartphone...or is it the keyboard you want to have? If that is the case then just use a USB keyboard with it.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2016-11-17 11:43 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

You're being an H/PC party pooper again, Rich.
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2016-11-18 2:31 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Rich Hawley - 2016-11-18 2:25 AM

Mike, why not just use a Android smartphone...or is it the keyboard you want to have?

Last time I installed BlueStacks onto my PC and tried to use keybpard instead of mouse I found that Android's keyboard interface is, ahem, deplorable.

Edited by Alt Bass 2016-11-18 2:31 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2016-11-18 2:34 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek - 2016-11-17 11:43 PM

You're being an H/PC party pooper again, Rich.
It's all that inappropriate content he has been watching on his HDMI Stick. He probably hasn't been out in a while
 Top of the page
mikeschn Page Icon Posted 2016-11-18 6:45 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Well, I do have an iPhone. But I don't consider that a real PC. I probably wouldn't want to do a spreadsheet on it. (thinking about the 200LX with Lotus 1-2-3) And for that matter, I probably wouldn't want to do Android OS... Although the options are at least as good as what we had on the Jornadas.

I'll probably run some kind of linux, which would make it a real PC. Then I just have to size it so that it's handheld! Yes, I want the keyboard. I want the clamshell factor!

I'm thinking about a 7" tft display. I'm not sure that'll still fit in my pocket, but the next smaller size is 3.5", and that's just too small for my eyes.

Remember all the talk about Moby 1? That was supposed to be an open source linux based handheld PC. The technology has arrived, but everyone is gone!!!

Mike...

Edited by mikeschn 2016-11-18 6:46 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2016-11-18 7:00 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Speaking of these x86 HDMI sticks, have you considered ripping the guts out of one and building around something like that? They're often USB powered, so 3.3v, provide the display and sound output through the HDMI port and USB for general IO connectivity. On-bard WiFi usually too. You would just have to find a HDMI spec capable screen to build it around. Given that your starting position will be long, fairly flat you could probably squeeze some battery around it into a reasonable chassis.
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2016-11-18 7:29 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

C:Amie - 2016-11-18 10:00 PM

They're often USB powered, so 3.3v,

Isn't USB power at 5V?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-11-18 7:54 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

And many of the HDMI sticks are Linux based.

Also. HDMI touchscreen lcd

http://www.adafruit.com/products/2260

They also have the same thing in 7" size.
 Top of the page
mikeschn Page Icon Posted 2016-11-18 11:05 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Rich,

Unfortunately the 5" models have an HDMI port coming out the side, that totally messes up any potential for a handheld clamshell design.

Here's what I have so far... see att photo! Thinking the keyboard should be a touch bigger, maybe the ekimi
https://www.amazon.com/EKIMI-Keyboard-Wireless-Bluetooth-Touchpad/dp...

Mike...

Rich Hawley - 2016-11-18 2:54 PM

And many of the HDMI sticks are Linux based.

Also. HDMI touchscreen lcd

http://www.adafruit.com/products/2260

They also have the same thing in 7" size.

Edited by mikeschn 2016-11-18 11:34 PM

(IMG_1348e.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_1348e.jpg (55KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-11-19 12:30 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

If you want a larger 7" screen, then whats the difference between a netbook and what you are trying to build. As far as the connectors coming out the right side, you simply use a flex hdmi ribbon cable or simply solder your contacts directly.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2016-11-19 7:53 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I have the same wireless keyboard, mikeschn, only my tablet(s) has been reflashed with Windows Embedded Compact 7 (CE 7.0).
 Top of the page
mikeschn Page Icon Posted 2016-11-19 10:08 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Indeed, what is the difference between a netbook and a handheld PC?

From Wiki, a handheld PC, or H/PC for short, is a computer built around a form factor which is smaller than any standard laptop computer, and the first hand-held devices were compatible with desktop IBM personal computers of the time.

So this thing I am printing is smaller than a standard laptop. But the lines blur! Could this be called a Netbook? Probably, since it's similar in size to the EEEPC which also ran Linux. (Incidently, the current Netbook EEEPC E202 is 11.6" and runs Windows 10!) But Handheld PC makers of the day also made devices that were larger than what was originally considered a handheld PC. Think Nec MobilePro 900C with it's 8" screen.

So what makes this a Handheld PC, and not a Netbook? You guys have to tell me. ???

Mike...

Edited by mikeschn 2016-11-19 10:34 AM
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2016-11-19 12:38 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I think that the HPC is a PC which has biggest possible keyboard given that it cam be held by hand and operated by another. It should also have extended peropheral availability because this is what a workstation has.

Whether a device with 7" screen can be handheld depends on the design and aspect ratio.

What I do not like about that beyboard which you photographed is a touchpad which steals keyboard space.

Edited by Alt Bass 2016-11-19 12:46 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-11-19 2:57 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Luv the 900c!

Almost bought that eBay auction of 19 units for $400. That's only $23 each if you include shipping.
 Top of the page
« 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.281 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 9