x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Printing a handheld PC

« Prev ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-10-18 3:37 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Question is....will that mouse work with a sigmarion 3? :-D
 Top of the page
AximUser Page Icon Posted 2023-10-18 2:50 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

stingraze - 2023-10-16 2:51 PM

I really like those tiny ball mouse. They used to be on older computers in a science museum in Yokohama long time ago, I think. With those Black and green display.

-stingraze

We had some retro laptops with the trackball like an AT&T (can't recall the OEM maker). Smaller trackballs seemed clunky and not great for tracking but some were better than others; they all seemed to require frequent disassembly & cleaning.

Microsoft Ballpoint Mouse was a bigger external unit that one clamped to the side of a laptop in the early 1990s; that was pretty good. Kensington sold a huge desktop track ball c.2000; that was great but all but ergonomics.

We also had some old IBM & Toshiba laptops with the pointing stick. I always liked this idea. However, usage required some concentration, particularly for moving the cursor a long way. IMHO, it didn't seem great for RSI.
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-10-18 3:13 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

I have a Toshiba Satellite 2595CDS that has one of the little nubs in the middle of the keyboard. I really like that thing for general navigation, especially on the go. Only real drawback is the drift it sometimes experiences. Of course it doesn't work well for games, but you can just plug in a USB mouse. I've never had a trackball mouse but I love the concept.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2023-10-19 1:33 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

AximUser - 2023-10-18 11:50 PM

Microsoft Ballpoint Mouse was a bigger external unit that one clamped to the side of a laptop in the early 1990s; that was pretty good. Kensington sold a huge desktop track ball c.2000; that was great but all but ergonomics.

I never seen a Microsoft Ballpoint Mouse before. It really gets conneted to the expansion port. Very interesting!
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2023-10-19 1:35 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

thenzero - 2023-10-19 12:13 AM

I have a Toshiba Satellite 2595CDS that has one of the little nubs in the middle of the keyboard. I really like that thing for general navigation, especially on the go. Only real drawback is the drift it sometimes experiences. Of course it doesn't work well for games, but you can just plug in a USB mouse. I've never had a trackball mouse but I love the concept.

I used to have a Toshiba Portege 650CT I bought in Akihabara for 6000 JPY used. I used to run an Apache web server on it. I remember it being accessed and you could tell it was being used because of the HDD noise.

Edited by stingraze 2023-10-19 1:35 AM
 Top of the page
AximUser Page Icon Posted 2023-10-19 3:25 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Microsoft Ballpoint Mouse

Edited by AximUser 2023-10-19 3:27 PM
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2023-10-20 4:06 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

This post on Stack Exchange is interesting too.

Which pointing devices were used by early laptop computers?
https://retrocomputing.stackexchange.com/questions/4861/which-pointi...
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-10-22 9:16 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

stingraze - 2023-10-19 8:35 PM

thenzero - 2023-10-19 12:13 AM

I used to have a Toshiba Portege 650CT I bought in Akihabara for 6000 JPY used. I used to run an Apache web server on it. I remember it being accessed and you could tell it was being used because of the HDD noise.

Haha I remember those days. That is a cool laptop- has a very similar design aesthetic to the Satellite I have.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2023-12-29 9:42 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Here's something I found looking through Google Image search.

https://github.com/brickbots/HandiPi

"Handheld RPI4 based computer with 36-key tactile keyboard and display"

Picture from GitHub by brickbots.

Edited by stingraze 2023-12-29 9:48 AM

(handipi.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments handipi.jpg (74KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2024-03-16 6:38 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Another cyberdeck. This is not "Handheld" but rather like a solution for disaster times. Includes loads of ideas to use COTS parts.

Another one I found is:
 Top of the page
goldfishdev Page Icon Posted 2024-03-18 3:48 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Junior)

I would argue that it doubles as a cyberdeck and a handheld. While not running a common handheld OS (such as CE), it's still a computer that you hold, just not in the classic style.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2024-03-19 3:09 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

@goldfishdev
Yes, I think you are right.

-stingraze
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 25 - Executed queries : 55