x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Printing a handheld PC

« Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... Next »
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-04-13 10:38 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

robertojones, it's looking amazing. You should be doing more to publish your exploits! You need a (video)blog for it!
 Top of the page
robertojones Page Icon Posted 2020-06-16 10:38 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

C:Amie - 2020-04-13 10:38 AM

robertojones, it's looking amazing. You should be doing more to publish your exploits! You need a (video)blog for it!

I definitely need to document the process, even if only for myself, but I'm really not good at keeping records and organising. Also a little embarrassed of the state of my 'facilities'... But perhaps I can put something together once Mk3 is finished. It would be a shame not to have some record of how it's all progressed.

On the subject of finishing the latest prototype - I can't believe it's been two months since my last update. I've had quite an eventful time! I had a bit of a battle printing the parts as it turned out - One part in particular proved to be essentially 'unprintable' and had to be redesigned. I'd printed about half of the casing, however, when the heater 'cartridge' (basically the heating element that melts the plastic) in my 3D printer failed and I had to source a new one. As I'd bought a new mainboard for the printer I took the downtime as an opportunity to fit it, which of course was far more involved than I'd imagined, then when I got the new heater cartridge it was the wrong voltage variant and proved unusable (discovered after I'd soldered it to the cable, naturally). Finally I got the correct heater cartridge installed, got all the settings right on the new mainboard and got a few test prints done, only to realise I was missing a motor driver for the second extruder on my printer (needed for printing support material and of course required for my HPC project). So that's now on it's way, at which point I can finally finish building the thing. It's frustrating to have been this close for so long, but there's pretty much nothing left that can stop me now.

Pictured below is the bottom half of the machine - bar a few small parts this is what I've got printed so far.

(HPC Mk3 Bottom half printed.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments HPC Mk3 Bottom half printed.jpg (90KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
smb_gaiden Page Icon Posted 2020-06-17 5:32 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Looking Great!
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-06-23 10:41 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

I was scrolling through my twitter feed, and found this:

https://bb-madoshi.booth.pm/items/2149970

The person is selling a 3D data for 100JPY ($0.93 USD!)

Edited by stingraze 2020-06-23 10:42 AM

(raspberrypi-4-small-laptop.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments raspberrypi-4-small-laptop.jpg (53KB - 1 downloads)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-06-23 5:36 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

That amuses me.
 Top of the page
robertojones Page Icon Posted 2020-06-23 11:54 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

That's a really interesting form factor, kind of reminds me of one of the early-ish laptops, something like in the picture below. I especially like the extra hinge that lets you change the keyboard angle.

(Toshiba_T1200.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Toshiba_T1200.jpg (94KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-06-24 6:10 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

I never seen those before, I only have seen the Word Processors or "Wa-puro" as they call it in Japan.
Example of "Wa-puro" Word Processors - (Japanese Wikipedia: https://bit.ly/3fVHFzF )

They still sell those retro word processors in stores like Hard Off in Japan, quite pricey too.
(About 10,000 - 25,000 JPY ($93.84 - $234.60 USD))

This online shop in Japan sells lots of Word Processors, and this NEC one looks nice.
https://www.sagas.co.jp/item/811-48.html

I think some people like the fact that those word processors can't connect to the internet.
I've read there's some niche market for those security aware people, some like to use even typewriters!

Edited by stingraze 2020-06-24 6:16 AM
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2020-06-25 1:54 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

The T1100 was my first "real" personal laptop. Half VGA, funky "magic" angle for the LCD, etc.

That said, here in the US, one of the niche market are those that participate in a yearly "National Novel Writing Month" events (as well as more professional writers). The Alphasmart series of devices (really could be considered serial/USB keyboards with a rudimentary screen and memory) has a cult following. You worked away merrily and then (I had one of the later versions with a USB-A connection) when you plugged it into a computer, the computer accepted it as keyboard. Open a modern word processor, hit the send button, and get a cup of coffee as the Alphasmart "typed" your text. Neat way to transfer info.

Prior to the Alphasmarts, my family used NEC Mobilepros (various models) to try to get that "internet free" writing time. Smaller device that felt pocketable (and even was sometimes) but in reality usually lived in a backpack or portfolio case. Color screen was sorta nice (DTSN screen). Music and games challenged us with potential distractions. Pocket Word was nice but could cause trouble with remembering to save the correct (RTF or txt) format if the final computer didn't have the appropriate file converter. CF card just felt like tiny floppy discs. Had trouble with volatile RAM going away when machines reset due to poor batteries and user saved files there... Fun times.

Thanks for bearing with me on this journey down memory lane.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-06-25 9:48 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

I guess I wasn't even born when you bought your first laptop...

I didn't know that Alphasmart "typed" words to the connected PC, that is really innovative.
I searched again for another 3D printed laptop, and I found a pretty cool one, called Spellbook.

https://hackaday.io/project/164091-spellbook

Edited by stingraze 2020-06-25 9:49 AM

(spellbook.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments spellbook.jpg (65KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2020-06-25 8:44 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

We had those at work for a while, hmascience, but IIRC ours were infrared instead of USB.
 Top of the page
robertojones Page Icon Posted 2020-06-26 10:52 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Brief update:

The casing is now complete, so the 3D printing phase is basically over. I've done a basic assembly of the machine to get a feel of it and took the opportunity to get some photos, see below.

I've just got some cable assemblies to make up now, a little bit of soldering connectors on to the various boards and then it can go together permanently. After that it's just tinkering with the OS to get it to speak to the hardware, thankfully I can probably substantially reuse the little 'driver' I wrote for the trackball back when this was Raspberry Pi based.

(IMG_20200626_2232193.jpg)

(IMG_20200626_2232516.jpg)

(IMG_20200626_2234265.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_20200626_2232193.jpg (53KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments IMG_20200626_2232516.jpg (27KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments IMG_20200626_2234265.jpg (50KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2020-06-27 1:26 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

That's a beauty. I remember a couple of years ago or so I was laughed at when I suggested building a palmtop with the help of 3D printing. Glad to see it getting done, really fantastic work. Looking forward to seeing it complete and running.
 Top of the page
smb_gaiden Page Icon Posted 2020-06-27 3:22 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Amazing! Congrats! Not going to say how much envy
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2020-06-29 12:51 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Impressive work.

Looks great!

Top of the page
robertojones Page Icon Posted 2020-07-25 1:29 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Small project update:

Prototype Mk3 is now (mostly) functional. A few bits left to do and a few late changes to the design that came up during assembly and testing, but not far off altogether.

Working:
- LCD and touchscreen with brightness control
- Battery charging and level indicator (built in on the board and supported by the OS so no credit to me)
- Wifi (as above)
- Suspend-to-idle - less than ideal in terms of power savings but properly tied into the OS so it works from the power button and triggered by timeouts etc. I get around 24 hours in 'suspend' on a full battery so a long way to go here.

Not yet working:
- Internal speakers - Essentially I didn't do enough research and my original setup (i2s audio with individual mini DAC/amps per speaker) was not workable. I have a simpler (tested) solution in the works, just some wiring and slight mods to the casing to do.
- Trackball - Not wired in yet. Needs some research in which GPIO pins I can use and then a re-working of the 'driver' I wrote to use it on the RPi. I'm also toying with the idea of setting it up so the user can choose between using it as a 'mouse' type device and for scrolling, maybe even other functions.
- Proper suspend / deep sleep - This one is a little frustrating as the hardware is definitely capable of it, it even appears to go into suspend but gets 'stuck' there and cannot be woken. The 'wake' triggers work as the same ones are used to pull it out of suspend-to-idle. This kind of issue is usually some device or driver misbehaving, in my experience with Linux (probably other OSs too). One to address once all my hardware is working I think.

The OS I've gone with for now at least is Armbian. The version I've got is basically Ubuntu with XFCE as the DE - Lightweight and pleasingly simple for use on a small screen. I've tweaked a few settings to get screen elements like window controls nice and big for touchscreen use. It doesn't have real touchscreen support like drag-to-scroll and pinch-to-zoom, it may well be possible to add these but in the meantime my trackball will cover the cases where the touchscreen doesn't quite work.

I did play with Android a little bit - touchscreen support was of course excellent and the sizing of screen elements was much more suited to small screen use, but the latest version currently working on the Pine64+touchscreen is 6.0, which I find a little scary from a security perspective. The deal breaker however was that it rebooted every time I put it into 'sleep' mode and I could see no easy way to get 'under the hood' and adjust system settings or try to diagnose this. I also prefer a proper 'desktop' OS on this machine as I feel it's a lot more than a tablet with a keyboard attached.

Please see the picture below. This was taken in poor lighting so the screen looks quite 'washed out', in reality it's quite a high quality IPS panel, nice and bright with the excellent viewing angles you'd expect. Better photos to follow once the hardware is complete and I've stopped taking it apart.

(IMG_20200724_2057262.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_20200724_2057262.jpg (70KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 15