x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Printing a handheld PC

« Prev ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... Next »
ionbladez Page Icon Posted 2021-01-23 8:51 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Sticking with the topic though, having a dedicated device, besides the phone, laptop, etc - that has been repurposed is quite different than you two are suggesting, lol.

Although I'm no expert on this stuff, I'm sure even a simpleton like myself can piece together something.
It's all like legos isn't it? I think my soldering is pretty decent. If it doesn't blow up, it must be a good thing right?
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-01-23 9:56 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

haha.

well there's more ideas you can get inspirations from like this video on YouTube.

Top of the page
_dev-null Page Icon Posted 2021-01-23 2:30 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Hi!
I completed printing all the case parts. I got all required electronic parts, except the keyboard, from local sellers or Amazon. The only thing i did not get anywhere in Europe was the keyboard ... had to order it in China.

Stefan

Edited by _dev-null 2021-01-23 2:42 PM

(IMG_20210123_134414.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_20210123_134414.jpg (195KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-01-23 2:36 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Hi Stefan!

Nice picture!
I look forward to it being completed.
 Top of the page
ionbladez Page Icon Posted 2021-01-25 1:35 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Well, I bit the bullet. However, same-day amazon delivery is amazing.

I have [most] of the parts I've ordered for this little project. I'm going to do my best to figure this out as I go.

Besides the 7" LCD I ordered, I have just about what I need. (paid for expedited shipping 2-5 days)

Pictured parts (in no particular order):

NanoPi Neo Air-LTS

This has 8GB flash storage, 512MB RAM, WiFi/BT, SD slot, and plenty of GPIO. I did mention I ordered a raspberry pi zero 2 and trinket m0, but may end up not using them because of this. It has everything combined into one, besides the display connector. Not sure how I'm going to handle that -- as there are no MIPI HDMI boards. I can't find a single one. There are VGA boards, but no HDMI. It claims there is HDMI on board but also says it has no display interface. Will check into that or I'll have to return it.

Most likely going to solder the GPIO using wires. Headers will never work.

3700mAh 3.7v battery

This battery was more expensive than a 6000mAh one, but I went with this because it's long and not so wide.
It is a bit thick though. Might tuck it into the old battery case...

The next 2 parts came as a package deal so I just ordered the set. Why not? Also, to be clear, I ordered two kinds of battery charge controllers, because I wasn't sure about what I want to stick with yet. I just couldn't find these parts in 1

MakerFocus 2A 5V Charge controller with protection (6 pieces)

and I had to get one with USB-C because it wouldn't be right if I didn't at least try...

Diymore USB-C 5V 1A Charge controller (5 pieces)

Let's start with the keyboard

The red is just me highlighting the non-connected wires. If anyone has any knowledge at all about this keyboard, I would love to hear what you know. I'm a noob when it comes to this kind of stuff.

The larger connector, on the far right looks to be either ground or VCC? Ground loop?

I know I can do this manually, but if anyone knows, I'm all ears.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-02-08 11:56 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

This appeared on my radar.

https://www.cnx-software.com/2021/02/08/lisperati1000-lisp-portable-...

https://twitter.com/lisperati/status/1357029088343506944?s=19

Seems like it was featured on Hacker News and a kit is being funded online.

Edited by stingraze 2021-02-08 11:57 AM
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-02-16 9:00 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I thought this RS-232 Serial Terminal was really cool.

If this was connected to a H/PC to display text from Twitter etc. would be interesting...

More about this:
https://hackaday.io/project/176175-6802-serial-terminal

Edited by stingraze 2021-02-16 9:00 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-02-16 9:46 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I think you might struggle getting Windows CE to talk to the Twitter API due to the SSL problem
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-02-16 10:27 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I think that can be avoided by making it receive tweets via a server, (can be modern Linux or Windows etc.) then download those tweets to Windows CE and show that through serial from Windows CE to the terminal.

Edited by stingraze 2021-02-16 10:27 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-02-16 10:30 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Trouble is that things like that start to get a bit Rube Goldberg-esque

Perhaps _del_null's distro efforts can save simplicity. It'll certainly support SHA2, plus printing to serial is a doddle from bash.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-02-16 10:34 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Yeah true.
But isn't all H/PC related things in 2021 a bit Rube Goldberg-esque?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-02-16 10:38 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Not if Stefan starts selling the 720 flash ROM and comes up with a way to reload the OS onto it

No pressure Stefan
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-02-16 10:51 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Yes!

Edited by stingraze 2021-02-16 10:52 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-02-16 11:05 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

In theory the SA-1100 supports 4x banks of 128MB in its address space, so if the chip density exists on DRAM or ROM, it could be pushed higher
 Top of the page
robertojones Page Icon Posted 2021-03-10 8:33 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Update on my 3D printed 'HPC' project:

I didn't want to post anything on this until I was a good bit further along as I seem to have developed a bit of a habit of not quite finishing these...

I've now about 95% finished the CAD work and started to build the machine. As discussed previously this is the first of two - One Raspberry Pi based and the other based on an x86 single-board computer (Hackboard 2).

It's broadly similar to the previous Raspberry Pi based machine with a few changes:

• Higher resolution screen, still 7 inches but 1920 x 1080 resolution. Handily it also contains a speaker amplifier and decoder so I can run the speakers in the lid straight from the HDMI signal.

• I'm using the Asus EEE PC keyboard with a little Arduino-compatible USB controller.

• I'm connecting the trackball via USB rather than the GPIO - This means another Arduino-compatible board, which appears to the OS as a USB mouse. I've also added left and right mouse buttons and I've even set it up to switch between functioning as a mouse or as a 'scroll wheel'. Trying not to get too carried away adding extra features - Arduino programming is fun!

• I've managed to fit a little USB camera into the lid - Looking to incorporate either a hardware off switch for it or at least a shutter - I know a lot of people are mistrustful of webcams.

See photo below for my assembly progress so far.

(IMG_20210310_1525535.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_20210310_1525535.jpg (95KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 13