x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Printing a handheld PC

« Prev ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... Next »
robertojones Page Icon Posted 2021-04-13 11:50 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

mikeschn - 2021-04-13 10:50 PM

Do you have easy access to your µSD card, or are you booting from an SSD? For this build I am planning on using the µSD, but it would certainly be easy enough to add an SSD above the RPI. Yeah, I'll keep that in mind as I work on the design.

Mike...

I have a cutout in the case base big enough for µSD card + fingers and then a 'plate' inside the case so you don't lose the card when you're trying to insert it - I'll try to get a photo that shows this. Also a removable cover over the cutout but I'm still deciding whether this should be held on with a screw or magnetically. Probably could go without but I do seem to like creating extra work for myself...
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-04-13 11:58 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Sorry for the interruption, but I just had to share this design.

More photos at:
https://imgur.com/gallery/Md9PeQs

Edited by stingraze 2021-04-14 12:01 AM

(cyberdeck-black.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments cyberdeck-black.jpg (56KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-04-14 12:06 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

mikeschn - 2021-04-14 7:42 AM

Stingraze...

There certainly lots of RPI options out there... Jeff Geerling has the CM4 with a PCI card and a gumstick in it... (Gumstick = M.2 NVME SSD)

I notice you have a RPI4 with the Ice Cooler on it. Nice. I have one as well. But it needs a case. Maybe you should print something like this...

https://www.instructables.com/DIY-Raspberry-Pi-Desktop-Case-With-Sta...

Or since you have an M1 Mac, maybe a little brother to go along with it...

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3895747

Mike...

Thank you for the Raspberry Pi Desktop Case With Stats Display! I really liked it! I wanted to build something like that so I can sort of offload data / ssh into to the device via WiFi or RJ-45 Ethernet.

The Power MacPi is something I never thought of. I think my high school had one of those (the real Power PC Mac).

Edited by stingraze 2021-04-14 12:07 AM
 Top of the page
mikeschn Page Icon Posted 2021-04-14 12:51 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Okay, so here's where it gets ugly... I've put in all the fittings... and they are huge. Then I thought I'd better throw in some wires just to get an idea of what needs to be packaged. And so unless you guys have some really tiny fittings and tiny wires, I really don't know how to route these 3 wires nicely...

And two of them are power, because the display takes Micro B and the RPI takes type C.

The 3rd cable I am going to try to get in one of those flat HDMI cables...

Mike...

Edited by mikeschn 2021-04-14 12:55 AM
 Top of the page
mikeschn Page Icon Posted 2021-04-14 1:04 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

stingraze - 2021-04-13 6:58 PM

More photos at:

That is so awesome... I'm drooling!
 Top of the page
mikeschn Page Icon Posted 2021-04-14 1:10 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

robertojones - 2021-04-13 6:50 PM

mikeschn - 2021-04-13 10:50 PM

Do you have easy access to your µSD card, or are you booting from an SSD? For this build I am planning on using the µSD, but it would certainly be easy enough to add an SSD above the RPI. Yeah, I'll keep that in mind as I work on the design.

Mike...

I have a cutout in the case base big enough for µSD card + fingers and then a 'plate' inside the case so you don't lose the card when you're trying to insert it - I'll try to get a photo that shows this. Also a removable cover over the cutout but I'm still deciding whether this should be held on with a screw or magnetically. Probably could go without but I do seem to like creating extra work for myself...

Back in the old days magnets were a bad thing. Get them too close to a floppy diskette, and poof!

But now everything is solid state, and magnets are cool again. So use those really tiny magnets for your µSD door. Let me see if I can find the ones I bought...

ah, here you go... https://www.amazon.com/Magnets-200pcs-Magnet-Miniature-Little/dp/B08...

Mike...
 Top of the page
mikeschn Page Icon Posted 2021-04-14 11:51 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

More photos at:

The cyberdeck idea is starting to grow on me! It would take care of the thickness problem I am having with the UMPC.

Mike...

Edited by mikeschn 2021-04-14 11:59 AM
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-04-15 6:55 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

mikeschn - 2021-04-14 8:51 PM

More photos at:

The cyberdeck idea is starting to grow on me! It would take care of the thickness problem I am having with the UMPC.

Mike...

Cool! Looks like fun!
 Top of the page
robertojones Page Icon Posted 2021-04-16 5:35 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

mikeschn - 2021-04-14 12:51 AM

Okay, so here's where it gets ugly... I've put in all the fittings... and they are huge. Then I thought I'd better throw in some wires just to get an idea of what needs to be packaged. And so unless you guys have some really tiny fittings and tiny wires, I really don't know how to route these 3 wires nicely...

And two of them are power, because the display takes Micro B and the RPI takes type C.

The 3rd cable I am going to try to get in one of those flat HDMI cables...

Mike...

I had very similar issues with my project, I ended up making up most of my cables (partly because of this but also unusual connector combinations, needing specific lengths and of course passing cables through the hinges. There are some fairly compact solderable connectors you can get quite easily. If you don't fancy all that soldering (I wouldn't blame you) there is also usually quite a lot of plastic you can cut away from these plugs without hitting the wires - You can tidy up / protect it with a bit of heatshrink afterwards.

I do like that cyberdeck design stingraze posted with the screen that 'folds up' though - it does seem to make for easier cable management than 'clamshell' style housings.

Either way I'm enjoying watching your progress, thanks for sharing!

Edited by robertojones 2021-04-16 5:36 PM
 Top of the page
mikeschn Page Icon Posted 2021-04-16 7:32 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

So I took a quick detour... fewer wires to worry about in this design...

I have the battery under the keyboard... and the RPI is in the back with the display and display card.

It's tedious to get to the µSD card, so I am booting off a M.2 NVMe. I'm looking for a place to put that gumstick!

I have the main body printed... it looks a little bit like a cyberdeck... the keyboard part won't be finished until morning. The Pi cover with the fan should be done soon. I'll have some photos in a bit...

Mike...
 Top of the page
mikeschn Page Icon Posted 2021-04-16 7:54 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Here ya go... More photos tomorrow when the other parts are done...

Mike...

Edited by mikeschn 2021-04-16 7:55 PM
 Top of the page
mikeschn Page Icon Posted 2021-04-18 2:16 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

okay, the main body is done printing...

Mike...
 Top of the page
robertojones Page Icon Posted 2021-04-18 7:11 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Mike - Your pace of progress is really putting me to shame here! I've hit yet another power-related issue on my project - Basically once again my battery management board can't handle the Pi 4 running flat out + peripherals - Under heavy load it just cuts out. Max. output is 3A, which should have been enough, but as I've added a secondary USB hub, a camera and some thin wires (by necessity, to pass through the hinge) I assume I'm dumping enough current along the way to way to put me over the limit. New battery management board is on the way with max. output of 8A (@5V) - This has to be enough!

Envy aside, I'm really happy to see your progress here - Can't wait to see the finished machine.

Edited by robertojones 2021-04-18 7:12 PM
 Top of the page
mikeschn Page Icon Posted 2021-04-18 9:24 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Roberto,

Yeah, I have had issues with a 3A power supply not being enough... Bigger is better in this case...

@Everyone!

Here is the finished result. The NVMe M.2 is 1TB I'm looking for something smaller!

Mike...
 Top of the page
robertojones Page Icon Posted 2021-04-26 11:53 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

mikeschn - 2021-04-18 9:24 PM

@Everyone!

Here is the finished result. The NVMe M.2 is 1TB I'm looking for something smaller!

Mike...

Looks great Mike! How are you finding it in use? What sort of battery life are you getting from it? Thanks again for sharing.

I'm once again back in design on mine - I have to redesign the case base (mostly make it thicker) to allow me to fit the new battery management board. So not likely to be finished for a while yet!
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 11