x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

nagual Page Icon Posted 2016-12-20 1:49 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Where I can find AEGIS Client for my Psion Netbook PRO ?

Because I can't established WI-FI Internet connection using Cisco Aironet 350 Series with upgraded firmware to 5.60.21 and driver 2.72....
Of course, I have latest WinCE upgrade (k295q) and spent a LOT of time trying connect to Internet.

My router has WPA2/PSK encryption, I can find a same encryption type on driver, but, no matter what I'm doing, no connection at all

I found here on Forum AEGIS client, but seems like is only for NEC MobilePRO 900 and WinCE 4.1, because when I start it on Psion NetBook PRO an error has occured - "This file is not a valid Windows CE setup file."

So, any idea, comments, link will be more than helpfull and welcome :-)

Merry Christmass and Happy New Year to all Forum members !
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-12-20 7:28 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

This is just one opinion and solution.

It is such a pain in the butt to get Aegis client to work with all the different 802.11b wifi cards. Most of the time it doesn't. And everything is "iffy" at best. I was able to make it work with my 900C and my Skeyepad, but none of my older CE.NET 4.1 devices. My CE6 devices already support WPA. I finally gave up and came up with a much better solution.

My normal home wifi router is a cheapo Tenda 802.11N device. It is all set up for WPA2.

But plugged into one of the ports of the Tenda is an old Netgear WFT624 802.11b wifi router. It is set up with WEP security, which is supported by nearly any old HPC. Most of the time the Netgear is turned off, but when I want to use wifi with an HPC, I turn it on. That way I don't worry about anyone trying to piggyback on my wifi stealing my bandwidth. Though to be honest, in 20 years no one has ever tried to do that.

The signal is so weak, that even if I leave it on all the time, once you step outside my residence you lose the signal anyways.

In the old days I used to disable broadcasting my SSID, but with Win7 it doesn't do any good, just like enabling MAC addressing. It just keeps the honest people honest.

So in summary: HPC - use WEP and forget WPA.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2016-12-21 12:42 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

nagual - 2016-12-20 5:49 AM

I found here on Forum AEGIS client, but seems like is only for NEC MobilePRO 900 and WinCE 4.1, because when I start it on Psion NetBook PRO an error has occured - "This file is not a valid Windows CE setup file."

When you get that message, it means that the file is an installer meant to be run on a host PC rather than on the Windows CE device itself. Doing that should generate the CAB file you need.
 Top of the page
nagual Page Icon Posted 2016-12-21 10:22 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

@Rich Hawley

I agree with you, but problem is on my router - it's an router from my ISP and he actually don't have a good WEP support :-(((
Try coniguring router with WEP encryption - so many problems and I quit (router actally refuse to work properlly, encryption was too low !)
So I need to solve my problem, one way or another:-))

@CE Geek

Install file is actually CAB file, not an EXE, and I can't start him as setup file from within Windows (Windows XP SP3 as VmWare image run on Windows 7 64-bi SP1) using ActiveSync 4.5....

Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-12-21 5:41 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Manually extract the cab file contents using wince cab manager and copy them to your netbook.pro manually.
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2016-12-21 5:52 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

nagual - 2016-12-21 1:22 PM

Install file is actually CAB file, not an EXE

IIRC this error can occur if the architectures does not match or if target versions not not match.

Edited by Alt Bass 2016-12-21 5:55 PM
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2016-12-21 5:56 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

By the way, was AEGIS ever supporting WPA2?

There is a "mixed WPA/WPA2" setting on many routers.
 Top of the page
nagual Page Icon Posted 2016-12-21 9:24 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Alt Bass - 2016-12-21 5:52 PM

nagual - 2016-12-21 1:22 PM

Install file is actually CAB file, not an EXE

IIRC this error can occur if the architectures does not match or if target versions not not match.

I don't know, I download actually AEGIS for NEC MobilePro and WinCE.NET 4.1...
 Top of the page
nagual Page Icon Posted 2016-12-21 9:28 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Rich Hawley - 2016-12-21 5:41 PM

Manually extract the cab file contents using wince cab manager and copy them to your netbook.pro manually.

Thank You very much for tip :-)

I did it, but.....can't start AEGIS client - .NET Compact Framework 4.00 is missing ???
As far as I know there's no .NET Compact Framework 4.00...

Or ?

Getting a little frustrated :-))
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2016-12-22 5:10 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
My two cents: wifi extenders, those jobbies that plug into an actual wall socket, have an ethernet jack. That's how I get on-line even with CE 2.0

It's not exactly wireless, but it is mobile, as long as you're near a wall socket.

Since these extenders have to be programmed--via the desktop--to the router/ISP, I haven't quite figured out how to travel with them.

The coolest thing would be a proprietary wifi extender directly mapped to your Verizon, Comcast, etc acct--you'd be able to plug in at someone else's house and there'd be your own wifi/ethernet.

Jake

Edited by Jake 2016-12-22 5:12 PM
 Top of the page
nagual Page Icon Posted 2016-12-23 9:45 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

@Jake

Good idea, but, unfortunatelly,I don't have an Ethernet card:-((
And Psion Teklogix don't have an ethernet connection:-((

So, I must found a way how to connect on Internet with my Cisco Aironet 350....

This become a nightmare...:-\
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2016-12-23 10:34 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I don't have a Pro but I think it does have an ethernet slot (16-bit). As for the cards, they're cheap. I picked up a SoHo last year, 10 USD new, and it used the ROM's generic driver to get on-line, even CE 2.0.

Are you certain there's no slot?

Jake
 Top of the page
nagual Page Icon Posted 2016-12-23 10:46 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

There's a slot for PCMCIA card (16-bit)...

But my suplier said that only ONE card works properly - Dacom Goldcard 56k/10mbit netglobal.

And, of course, I found just one on Ebay, but without cable (worth nothing !) with silly price:-(

I really don't know if any other 16-bit Ethernet card working properly with NetBook PRO, but, generally, I like wired Internet, more then Wi-Fi :-)

There is a list of compatibility devices for Netbook PRO, so I need a little time to look through document :-))
 Top of the page
nagual Page Icon Posted 2016-12-24 7:17 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I think I found solution - USB to Ethernet adapter, ideal solution for me (if works, of course !), I found couple of generic chipsets supportd by Windows CE behind USB to Ethernet adapter, so , will see :-)))
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2016-12-24 7:38 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Well done, and look for that wifi extender. Works great with any flat surface b/c any flat surface is near a wall outlet.

Jake
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9