x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

markfptuson Page Icon Posted 2016-12-23 12:22 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Wondering about this, thought I'd ask before shelling any money out.

I've been doing my Jornada up again, thinking I could use it for my work (as a novelist) when I'm out and about. I've seen threads on here saying you can use upto 32GB in a CF card (if you do the reg fixes/blah, which I'll look into), which is awesome - I bought a 4GB MicroDrive which - of course - is CF type II, so it doesn't fit other than in an adaptor in the PCMCIA slot. So, I'm thinking, if I can get a bigger CF card I can put the MD into my 820, in which it fits without an issue.

A big part of it, though, is that I'd like to be able to transfer stuff to/from my desktop without having to take the CF card out, so I was thinking of getting a USB adapter to leave in the PCMCIA slot. There are some that sit in flush, and some that stick out like an old-school WiFI interface. Problem is, I don't know if it'll work - and if it does, if I'll be able to mount a thumbdrive to it.

Does anyone know...? I'm not going to start getting upset if nobody knows or if it won't work, I can take the card out (obviously) but was just trying to avoid it.

Danke schon
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-12-23 1:02 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

There has never been a confirmed 16 bit USB pcmcia card that will work for an HPC. They are all cardbus (32 bit) and not supported by HPCs.

Your best alternative:

(s-l500.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments s-l500.jpg (114KB - 2 downloads)
 Top of the page
markfptuson Page Icon Posted 2016-12-23 2:17 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

I didn't think there would be. I would have gone with WiFI, but of course HPC2000 doesn't support WPA2. Then again I don't know what I'd do if I got it working, as there's no Dropbox/OneDrive for it. Maybe set up a private FTP site up at home or something.

Oh well. I'll maybe investigate IrDA in that case. I've got adapters for CF, was just hoping to see if I could avoid having to take the card out when I want to move data/docs around. Obviously I can, but it feels too much like taking the hard drive out of a computer to look at it. Maybe you're right though; a small CF and the PCMCIA adapter just for ferrying.

I have a PPC2002 storage question too actually - should I post that elsewhere?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2016-12-23 10:41 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

This has been a favorite topic of discussion here among 720/728 users. This is what you need:

https://www.cnet.com/products/ratoc-cfu1u-usb-adapter/

It's been out of production for some time now, and it's hard to find on eBay or elsewhere. (There aren't any there right now.) I snagged one a few years ago, but I'm keeping it.

You can post your Pocket PC 2002 question in the Off Topic section.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.160 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 9