x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

CE 6 netbooks... reliable ones still available?

markfptuson Page Icon Posted 2017-01-01 9:53 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

I've been wanting to play with one for a while, just because I wondered how they'd tally with the CE 1/2/HPC2000 devices I've got/had - but now, when I've finally got enough money that I could buy one, it seems they aren't available from anywhere except Alibaba now. Is there anywhere that anyone knows about where they're still being made? I did have one secondhand once, but it was broken from the start - I ended up giving it to my friend's daughter as a toy so she could play at being a programmer like her dad.

So, yeah. I know they're not going to be much use. But is there anywhere that's better to go than elsewhere? Or am I just as well off ordering from Alibaba?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2017-01-02 12:06 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Top of the page
markfptuson Page Icon Posted 2017-01-02 11:10 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Was thinking of buying new - also I'm in the UK. A lot don't ship here (cheaply) and of course there's power supplies. I'll keep my eyes open anyway. Thanks.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2017-01-02 9:53 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

All the new ones I've seen have Via 8880 processors, and I'm not aware of any Windows CE ROM images supported by that processor. The most recent CPU I know of supporting CE 6 was the WM8650.

What about one with WEC 7? That's supported on both the 8650 and 8850. Maybe an 8850 will turn up somewhere.
 Top of the page
markfptuson Page Icon Posted 2017-01-03 8:11 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Top of the page
ferret7463 Page Icon Posted 2017-11-28 11:51 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I got one just to tinker with as well. It has lousy internet ability, but it's small and very portable. The stock battery only gives you about an hour and a half of use. I however was able to wire in a full 6 cell laptop battery and now i get over 24 hours of constant use. I use it for the most part for word processing. I'd like to know if any of you know where i can get a paint program for this little beast. I've tried all of the ones on this site and no luck. It runs a OS from "Poodwaddle" and the processor is a WMT, ARM-WM8505 Sylvania made them for a money grab i believe. Thank you for any help
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2017-11-30 2:25 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I for one would very much appreciate a posting of a picture of your device with the 6-cell battery. Did you actually get that into the machine and the lid closed after it? Or is the battery more of the external kind?

Jake
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2017-11-30 3:49 AM
#
H/PC Elite

ferret7463 - 2017-11-28 5:51 PM
I'd like to know if any of you know where i can get a paint program for this little beast.

You can try this bundle of software i put together a few years ago. Pretty sure there are a few paint programs in it.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/6nevdpphfsrjv9y/winCE6freeware.zip

Cheers
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2017-11-30 7:55 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

RTFM! Good to see you back

What are you hacking these days?

Jake
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2017-12-01 12:32 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Hey Jake -

Not a whole lot any more really. Got married in February, so my solo evenings spent tinkering don't happen as often as when i was a bachelor...lol.
However, i picked up a few more older PowerPC and early Intel Mac machines and have been building a lot of current software via macports for them.
Mainly just updating some of the older core system stuff like bash, ftp, ssh, dhcp, etc, to help aid in security for these abandoned machines, some
SDL games, and console apps like pianobar and midnight commander.

I still check in here quite often, i just don't "log in" 95% of the time.
Hope all is well.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2017-12-01 2:02 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Well, it sounds as if you're splitting the difference, just like a good husband should, and congrats on the nuptials.

I've been playing with the GPD Pocket--its first-second generation hardware can be tricky, but the form factor can''t be beat. I was recently bequeathed a Psion Series 7 and actually found a new battery for it. Given its inability to get on-line and its magnificent keyboard, it's the closest thing I have to an electronic typewriter.

It's all fun,
Jake
 Top of the page
ferret7463 Page Icon Posted 2018-08-28 4:45 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thank you RTFM, The software works great. Hey Jake, I can't seem to post pics here of the device, but i use it a lot as a portable word processor and now with the paint software i create grafics for my work. If you'd like just email me and i can send you the pics that i have just use the subject matter as SYLVANIA pics or something like that. ferret7463@hotmail.com

Edited by ferret7463 2018-08-28 4:52 PM
 Top of the page
WinCE5Opera Page Icon Posted 2018-09-05 8:40 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

ferret7463 - 2017-11-28 11:51 PM

I got one just to tinker with as well. It has lousy internet ability, but it's small and very portable. The stock battery only gives you about an hour and a half of use. I however was able to wire in a full 6 cell laptop battery and now i get over 24 hours of constant use. I use it for the most part for word processing. I'd like to know if any of you know where i can get a paint program for this little beast. I've tried all of the ones on this site and no luck. It runs a OS from "Poodwaddle" and the processor is a WMT, ARM-WM8505 Sylvania made them for a money grab i believe. Thank you for any help

I use one at work for remote desktop to server
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.233 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 11