x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Yet Another 7" Computer

1 2 3 4
jupps Page Icon Posted 2017-01-13 2:38 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hello fellow enthusiasts. I humbly present my latest find, from Walmart, no less.

This is the RCA Voyager 7. It is an Android 6.0 tablet that transforms into a clamshell, which reminds one of a NEC MobilePro 780/790. It measures about 7.6" long, 4.75" wide, and about 0.75" thick. The screen is 7" diagonal, with a a resolution of 1024x600.
RAM is 1GB and storage is 16GB, around 11GB of which are available. There's a Micro SDXC slot, a headphone jack, a mini-USB port (which doubles as a charging port), and a dedicated charging port.

With the availability of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint, a dedicated Windows CE vet will feel right at home. Add to that a plethora of Android games apps, which include games, utilities, and emulators, JLime is effectively moot.

I have played with it for about a week now, and so far everything is snappy, save for some apps which expect heavy resources.

The best part, it is available today for $43 from Walmart. The pen in the picture is for reference only. This unit does not include a stylus.

link to wallyworld

Edited by jupps 2017-01-13 2:46 AM

(20170112_212002_small.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20170112_212002_small.jpg (54KB - 2 downloads)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2017-01-13 4:03 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

LOL @ the Windows CE desktop wallpaper. You had me all excited for a moment.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2017-01-13 9:31 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

$43?? Man, the price is very affordable!

I wish we had Walmart here in Japan.
 Top of the page
markfptuson Page Icon Posted 2017-01-13 12:40 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

CE Geek - 2017-01-13 4:03 AM

LOL @ the Windows CE desktop wallpaper. You had me all excited for a moment.
Yeah, me too :/ I still haven't found anything promising in the CE6 department, and for a moment I actually thought someone had started making them again...
 Top of the page
SwizzleDude
SwizzleDude Page Icon Posted 2017-01-13 4:59 PM
#
Man it's a shame that there are no consumer orientated modern CE devices anymore. And buying an elevator or a milking machine for fiddling with Windows CE isn't as practical either
 Top of the page
jupps Page Icon Posted 2017-01-13 7:35 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Ok, i have to ask. Why the wait for a modern Windows CE device? This RCA tablet has the form factor, a close to bleeding edge software library that Windows CE can only dream about, Bluetooth/Wifi/USB, IPS 1024x600 LCD, 1GB RAM, expandable storage, and it's dirt cheap.

The only thing missing is the stylus, but the screen is capacitive touch.

So again, I must be missing something here. What's so special about Windows CE, aside from nostalgia?

Edited by jupps 2017-01-13 7:41 PM
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2017-01-14 6:34 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

True... Waiting for a modern Windows CE device will probably not become a reality anytime soon or in the distant future.

But we ramble about such a device because we all love this platform one way or the other.

The reasons why I like Windows CE:
Instant On
One big factor I like about it... Sure, you can make Android tablets sleep and it will turn right back on, but it will drain battery from all the system calls, and forgetting to leave the WiFi off.

The fun of tinkering with old device.

It's like being an archeologist. We dig up Windows CE programs from the deep, and uncover its many mysteries. We sometimes discover hidden gems.

For example, a few years ago, I managed to run very early version of Linux on Sigmarion 3 which has 400Mhz StrongARM using BOCHS. It was a very refreshing experience, thinking that it only takes a few taps to install apps today.

It will be interesting to see what others have to say about their love of the Handheld PCs / Windows CE devices again in 2017.

Edited by stingraze 2017-01-14 6:35 AM
 Top of the page
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2017-01-15 9:09 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

My reasons?

- Instant on
- Portability
- Battery life
- Narrow focus - meaning that I use HPCs for their PIM functions and light word processing, and that's it. When I use an HPC, I'm not being distracted by the internet, or news feeds, or FB, or any of the other shiny things you find on a modern tablet or handheld. My HPCs are great when I want to work on goal-setting, or plan out the next month, because I can focus and work more effectively.

Also, I have yet to find a calendar app for Win10, Win Phone 10, or Win RT that lets me see a full month of appointments on a single screen. With CE Agenda on a MobilePro 890, I can see 5 weeks of appointments at a glance and scroll forward or back a week at a time. That's huge for me, because it helps me plan ahead for upcoming events.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2017-01-26 6:18 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Interesting discussion... I am here again

First off, nice find jupps. I have seen these cheap tablets around here, but most of them come with those generic keyboard folio cases. this one you found with the attached keyboard is much nicer, and is usually the 10 inch size and much more expansive than that.

speaking of size, how is that keyboard?

As for CE... I have not been using CE for quite some time now. But when I did, it was because it had a near desktop/laptop interface in a mobile form factor - it was really like taking a computer everywhere you go, without a large bag.

Nowadays I just use my Win10 phone when I am outside, and use a Surface when I am at home. I am typing it on the Surface touch keyboard cover, through RDP to my desktop right now... so I don't need CE anymore.
 Top of the page
SwizzleDude
SwizzleDude Page Icon Posted 2017-01-27 1:16 PM
#
There are actually plenty of modern CE devices. They're just embedded into specific applances. One option would be a dev board.

I've seen quite a lot of modern CE dev boards around. One would just need to create a case for it.
They usually have CE 6 or 7, so outdatedness shouldnt be a problem

Edited by SwizzleDude 2017-01-27 1:18 PM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2017-01-28 10:02 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Thanks to jupps' heads-up, I picked up one of these things yesterday. I was about to pull the trigger on a GPD Win but just couldn't wrap my mind around a start-up's uncertain hardware, some shipping horror stories, and a keyboard that wasn't going to permit much input.

For 50USD, I'm very impressed with the Voyager and its Marshmallow OS. With External Keyboard Helper Pro (my all-time favorite Android app), I'm able to get around the drawbacks of a smaller keyboard and I was pleasantly surprised to see Softmaker HD install safely. The Voyager has an Intel Atom and I was under the impression that only ARM processors played nice with Softmaker.

The screen is sharp, you can now download Netflix movies/shows, and the device easily plays them.

I'm hoping that the battery is still calibrating itself b/c so far, battery life is only so-so. The wifi holds steady.

As for rooting, I won't. I haven't found a stock ROM--or even a custom ROM--and so an internal screw-up would not be fixable. That's too bad because Marshmallow does OTG USB OOTB and I *almost* have my usb modem connected. The log of the ppp widget 3 says I'm on-line but the widget needs to talk to the SuperUser app as a final step and that's a root step apparently.

Would love to find a modem alternative to the fine ppp widget series, but nothing so far.

It doesn't have the robust feel of a new HP J-720 and it's a 55-second boot or so, but hey, I paid 800USD for the Jornada. At its modest price, I can live with the Voyager hardware and it soothes my jones-ing for a new toy.

Thanks again, jupps,
Jake
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2017-01-29 1:25 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Jake - 2017-01-28 2:02 PM

Thanks to jupps' heads-up, I picked up one of these things yesterday. I was about to pull the trigger on a GPD Win but just couldn't wrap my mind around a start-up's uncertain hardware, some shipping horror stories, and a keyboard that wasn't going to permit much input.

For 50USD, I'm very impressed with the Voyager and its Marshmallow OS. With External Keyboard Helper Pro (my all-time favorite Android app), I'm able to get around the drawbacks of a smaller keyboard and I was pleasantly surprised to see Softmaker HD install safely. The Voyager has an Intel Atom and I was under the impression that only ARM processors played nice with Softmaker.

The screen is sharp, you can now download Netflix movies/shows, and the device easily plays them.

I'm hoping that the battery is still calibrating itself b/c so far, battery life is only so-so. The wifi holds steady.

As for rooting, I won't. I haven't found a stock ROM--or even a custom ROM--and so an internal screw-up would not be fixable. That's too bad because Marshmallow does OTG USB OOTB and I *almost* have my usb modem connected. The log of the ppp widget 3 says I'm on-line but the widget needs to talk to the SuperUser app as a final step and that's a root step apparently.

Would love to find a modem alternative to the fine ppp widget series, but nothing so far.

It doesn't have the robust feel of a new HP J-720 and it's a 55-second boot or so, but hey, I paid 800USD for the Jornada. At its modest price, I can live with the Voyager hardware and it soothes my jones-ing for a new toy.

Thanks again, jupps,
Jake

I went for this one, http://www.iviewus.com/index.php/unison.html it will be here monday...paid $159 from walmart...The REMIX OS intriges me.... If it works well i might move down to this one...https://www.walmart.com/ip/iView-2-in-1-Gemini-with-WiFi-10.1-Touchscreen-Tablet-PC-Featuring-Remix-2.0-Operating-System-Charcoal/54188795 $98 and now if they get smaller even more perfect but none so far.....However my eyes are starting to get a little fuzzy on anything less than 8 inches....

I am thinking about getting a asus chromebook flip to compare since it can run android apps now and those 4gb of ram sound awfully good...but the price is just still pretty high for something that's over a year old now

P.S. Chris, Give in to the android.....

Edited by thcrw739 2017-01-29 2:19 AM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2017-01-29 4:36 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

That's a nice find, thcrw739. Haven't seen an Android laptop close-up. Post back once you've put it through its paces; I'd be interested to hear your reactions.

Jake
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2017-01-29 5:26 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Will do....I was considering one of the new arm chromebooks with a touchscreen like the asus flip, but i saw these remix os 2 in 1's recently on a search and decided well it would pretty much be the same thing & cheaper.... I already tried the remix os on my desktop & i like it....So as long as the build quality isn't too bad they should work out great....wish they would of done something like this to those cheap 7" android laptops from years ago.. a touch screen & setting up android with a desktop ui that can window apps would have been great.

Edited by thcrw739 2017-01-29 5:39 PM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2017-01-30 3:31 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I'm using the K-9 Email app which is as close to nPOP as I can find.

Jake
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.269 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 13