x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Windows 10 on really old hardware

takwu Page Icon Posted 2017-02-05 12:00 AM
#
H/PC Elder

How old or low spec have you tried running Windows 10 on?

I have a Panasonic CF-Y4 laptop, which is a Centrino system - a Pentium M single core at 1.6 GHz, and I have 1 GB of total RAM installed. Bought this way back in 2003 or something.

It came with Windows XP, which ran pretty well on it. I didn't upgrade it to Vista or Win7 as I didn't see any major change. Then when Win8 came out, with a low intro price for upgrade, I took the plunge... That didn't work as well as I hoped - it ran, but very sluggishly.

When Win10 came out I didn't bother to put it on this hardware, even tho it was free, thinking if Win8 was sluggish here would Win10 even work?

Boy was I wrong. I just found out the free upgrade was still available as of now (for certain uses, which you have to declare) so I was like why not. I upgraded it to Win10 and now it runs just as well as XP! Honestly I wouldn't believe it if I wasn't typing this on this 14 yr old laptop right now.

Now, I still have a Pentium 3 tower from 1999 with 512mb of RAM and a legit XP license... nah... mmm... hmm
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2017-02-05 12:17 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Cool!

I've never installed Windows 10 on old hardware, as I always thought it appeared to require rather modern devices.

I have a Windows XP Pentium 3 Vaio lying around (which I can't find the charger).
I remember back in Christmas I saw online they were selling $29 or so for a Windows 10 online code.
I didn't trust them so I didn't buy it but... (Retail price here for Japanese Win 10 Pro is like $106) I think the spec is too low for Windows 10 installation on my Vaio though, although it will be fun to try to install it... lol

I have a CherryTrail XMC10 Portabook that had Windows 10 on it, although it was good, I took the plunge to install Lubuntu 16.04 on it.
For its low spec-ness, Lubuntu 16.04 runs really snappily. I have to fix some things like getting integrated WiFi working on it etc. though.

1999 tower with Pentium 3 & 512MB of RAM? Nah, I bet it wouldn't run Windows 10...

Edited by stingraze 2017-02-05 12:17 AM
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2017-02-05 12:18 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I have a toshiba satellite laptop from 2013 ish if i recall correctly....It has a dinky e-300 apu, it runs windows 10 alright... haven't used it much just took advantage of the free upgrade...
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 9