x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Help connecting HP 320 LX to PC

gsm_dealer08 Page Icon Posted 2017-02-06 10:08 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I have added a brand new HP 320LX to my 'museum of obsolete technology' as my friends like to call it and I would like to connect it to the PC. I know nothing about how to do this so please excuse my noob request. What program do I need? Would it work on windows 7? Would it work with a RS232 to USB convertor? ( I don't have a serial port). I would like to transfer some programs or games,maybe. It is a pretty awesome device. I only have the power cable and was thinking of buying the serial cable. What is the easiest way to connect it?
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2017-02-06 12:20 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I believe easiest way to transfer file is via a Compact Flash card to PCMCIA card adapter.
Insert the Compact Flash to the PCMCIA adapter after copying some files to it.
Then insert the PCMCIA adapter with the Compact Flash inserted into your HPC 320LX.

If FAT32 doesn't work on your device, try formatting the Compact Flash to FAT16.

Have fun! :-)

-stingraze

Edited by stingraze 2017-02-06 12:25 PM
 Top of the page
gsm_dealer08 Page Icon Posted 2017-02-06 12:27 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

stingraze - 2017-02-06 12:20 PM

I believe easiest way to transfer file is via a Compact Flash card to PCMCIA card adapter.
Insert the Compact Flash to the PCMCIA adapter after copying some files to it.
Then insert the PCMCIA adapter with the Compact Flash inserted into your HPC 320LX.

If FAT32 doesn't work on your device, try formatting the Compact Flash to FAT16.

Have fun! :-)

-stingraze

Will I be able to install programs from the card? (if I manage to get it recognised). Thank you for the suggestion BTW!

Edited by gsm_dealer08 2017-02-06 12:27 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2017-02-06 1:05 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

You will need to copy from your desktop the proper .cab file to the cf card. The file should be for CE version 2 or 2.11 depending on your 320LX and must be for sh3 processors. There are lots of tuturials on this site explaining manual installation of programs.

Start out here

http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/s/0047.asp
 Top of the page
gsm_dealer08 Page Icon Posted 2017-02-06 1:39 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I will give it a try when the adapter arrives. I think this one has the original CE 1.0 on it. Thank you again!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2017-02-06 9:32 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Then you won't be able to use the CAB files, since CE 1 doesn't support CAB installers. But a serial-to-USB adapter should work because the support files required are on the PC end. (They may or may not be installed on the PC, but the adapter usually comes with a CD with the necessary files.)
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2017-02-06 9:37 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

But one can just copy the .exe for SH3 file to the Compact Flash.

-stingraze

Edited by stingraze 2017-02-06 10:30 PM
 Top of the page
gsm_dealer08 Page Icon Posted 2017-02-06 10:25 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Ok,another noob question. Will the device recognise a SD card into a Compact Flash adaptor into a PC card, if I format it Fat16? I do not have a Compact Flash reader and would be more convenient to transfer the files onto the SD card then connect it to the HP trough those 2 adaptors.

Edited by gsm_dealer08 2017-02-06 10:25 PM
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2017-02-06 10:34 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Sorry, I tested the game link above, it didn't work on Windows CE 1.0 so I deleted it.

I'm not sure about the SD card working or not via a CF to SD card -> PCMCIA card. I have all the gear, but I can't find it right now...

I'll report back to you if I manage to find the right PCMCIA to CF card adapter in my house.

Theoretically it might work, but there are compatibility issues sometimes so, you might as well just try and see.

-stingraze
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2017-02-07 10:58 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

It does work, however, it has to be a SD card of 2Gb or less, not an SDHC 4Gb or larger. And you are correct in the idea that you can extract the .exe file on host desktop and copy that to the memory card for transfer.

The caveat here is the some programs require that they be installed into specific folders on the handheld and may have registry entries that may need to be manually input.
 Top of the page
gsm_dealer08 Page Icon Posted 2017-02-07 11:16 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

That is great news! I have ordered today a Type I CF with SD card slot, I have a bunch of 128MB micro SD cards that I'm gonna use so it's gonna be 128MB microSD>SD adapter>CF adapter>PCMCIA>HP 320LX. I have also found an archived website with loads of programs and games for CE 1.0. It will take a while for the adapter to arrive, it comes from China. This reminds me of this image:

It's gonna be something like this,minus the MiniSD adapter

Edited by gsm_dealer08 2017-02-07 11:30 PM
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2017-02-08 8:19 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

For a second, I thought you really found a way by the photo's method! lol

It's good news you found a archived site.

Edited by stingraze 2017-02-08 8:21 AM
 Top of the page
gsm_dealer08 Page Icon Posted 2017-02-18 4:56 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Ok so the adapters arrived and after trying several SD cards, the device recognised the PC card. I have found about 20 games for CE 1.0 but only a couple work by unziping the SH3 file on the card, the rest have desktop installation and require the device to be connected to the PC. Is there a way to make those games work on the HP using only the CF card? I would really want to have Blox and Poket Chess installed from here http://www.oocities.org/aeons/hpc/hpc_web.htm
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2017-02-18 10:23 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Both of those games are available here. Browse our Software Compatibility List:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/scl/
 Top of the page
gsm_dealer08 Page Icon Posted 2017-02-20 7:44 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thank you all for the help! I managed to put about 20 games on it. Not alot out there for CE 1.0 but still happy for the result.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9