x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

be300.org is dead :(

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... Next »
renrut Page Icon Posted 2018-04-24 5:34 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi guys! I was an Admin and helped developing the BE-300 on the BE300 Advancement Society. As far as I know, I have a lot of the website`s files saved on my old computer. The most common Operating Environment was BeShell. It basically turned the BE-300 into Pocket PC. Near the end of the development, someone sent us a file that allowed us to re-flash the BE-500 to a BE-300 and back again. I had a BE-500 and flashed it to a BE-300.

Mutant Cheese was the developer and owner of the site. It was getting hacked by SPAMMERs and people posting very inappropriate junk on the site. He closed the site to new members then eventually took the site down. As far as I remember, the BE300 Advancement Society was well over 4 Gig in size and was a bit to maintain.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2018-04-25 5:19 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Nice to hear from you again, renrut. I figured out MC's role in the final site when I did historical searches via the Wayback Machine, as I hinted in my earlier posts. As I mentioned earlier, I've hit a dead end looking for some of the earlier OEs, like EpodMX (before XPod and eXpod), Bee 1.0 and 1.1, and the early versions of CButters' EpodXP (1.0 through 1.4). (I seem to recall that Goofather didn't start using Platform Builder 3.0 files until after EpodMX.) The BE-300/500 conversion file would "BE" nice to have too, though. (I'm even still bothered that Casio never released, as folks on the BAS called it, the "CE.not downgrade," just cuz I wanted to see what might be possible hacking-wise with the newer OS version.) I also don't have the BAS_BeShell .bin or .dat files, and lost that OE from one of my growing collection of BE-300s after it got stuck in the boot process before I made a backup of it. (What exactly were the differences between it and Dic's original 0.9b8 version?)

I also found that you can boot the original core ePods shell on it just fine with coshell.exe taken out of the startup queue in HKLM/init, thereby saving a little more memory. I even tried Geared2003's shell transformation pack for H/PCs on one BE-300 flashed with XPod 5.0, and it looks perfect.

Funny how we don't miss things until they're gone . . .
 Top of the page
Mac102004 Page Icon Posted 2018-04-29 2:29 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Former BAS member here. Picked up a couple BE's recently, one "used" but might as well be new, even still had the cover over the connection port on the bottom and original stylus, the other is literally NEW still in the box untouched. I spent $25 on them less shipping, sure are cheaper then they were 15+ years ago lol.
Picked up a couple PalmOS PDA's to play with as well but had no PC to run any of them. So I bought a Samsung Q1u tablet. What a neat thing in itself. Unfortunately despite the auction saying it had Windows XP on it, it arrived with Windows 7. Can't find any drivers to connect the BE to it, actually gives me a BSOD instantly when I drop the BE into it's cradle *sigh*. So they really aren't getting along and I need to try and get XP back on it. Hopefully then I can connect to the BE. I can't remember anything about messing with the BE's so it's pretty much all a new experience.

I've spent some time searching the net for old BE software and managed to find a few things. Would be nice to find a CF backup file of some alternative shell so I can install that without using the PC for now. Would love to see a BE related archive site just with old files on it but I suppose the few that would be interested in that are all here in this thread lol. Maybe if person could put everything on a thumb drive and throw them up on eBay for few bucks.

Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2018-05-02 8:34 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I just started a very small archive site to store apps for BE-300 / BE-500. http://www.superai.online/be-300-be-500/
I only have one zip file here, but will update time to time.

If you guys happen to be able to create your file dump, I'll upload it on my server... :-) I think it will benefit all those people without proper support.

I found this app called TOMBO, a notepad with blowfish encryption option. CASSIOPEIA BE-500(l'agenda) is confirmed to be working.

https://www.vector.co.jp/soft/other/wince/se243548.html

Edited by stingraze 2018-05-02 8:42 AM
 Top of the page
renrut Page Icon Posted 2018-05-02 5:23 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I'll see what I can find on my old computer, when I get the time. As far as I know, I should have a copy of each Operating Environment, numerous apps and the file that allows you to flash the BE from a BE300 to a BE500 and back. I just don't know about any of the How-To's. I wrote a lot of them for BAS but I'll have to see if I saved them on my computer.

I'm very busy this time of year so it may take me a bit to find everything. For now, getting my boat ready for the summer, getting my garden planted, getting the pool set up and lots more are on my list of things I need to get done this spring. I may see if I can find one of my old BE's to make sure everything works before I make them available.
 Top of the page
MutantCheese Page Icon Posted 2018-05-02 10:42 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi, My name is Shane, aka MutantCheese, the founder of The BE300 Advancement Society. Renrut and I along with a few others started the BAS during the BE-Wars, a contemptuous time during the BE300 evolution, with infighting and hatred spreading across all BE websites, I decided to make a safe place for all to discuss their love for the BE300....thus was born the BAS. It's nice to see the old BE300 is still alive and well in some form. I did keep the BAS open as long as I possibly could but hackers and software issues with the forum made keeping it live a task to large to bear since most everyone had moved on from the BE300.

I do have some good news. I still have the site on my servers, the domain is just long since been taken over by others not associated with the BE300. I do have the entire site backed up, which is 1.36GB of data in Gzip. I'm uploading it to dropbox as I type.

Like most I've moved on from the BE300 and currently daily drive a Samsung Galaxy Note 8, doing thing with the stylus that I could only dream as possible during our days with the BE300.

I hope you all can find some useful data in the backup, as I said, it's an entire site back up and one could actually rebuild the BAS if they so chose. I just don't have the time. If anyone is interested in the back up, let me know and I'll send you the link. I just don't want to post it in a public forum for all to download.

Thanks,
MutantCheese

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2018-05-03 3:42 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Wow, look what I started.

Looking forward to seeing the collections of files. And, stingraze, we have Tombo here in the SCL. It's a classic.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2018-05-03 12:13 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

lol - tombo is here! good to know!

tombo means dragonfly in Japanese, just in case you didn't know.
 Top of the page
renrut Page Icon Posted 2018-05-03 1:26 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I was just searching on the Net and was curious about seeing if there was anything on the BE300 and found this site. When I saw there was interest, I contacted Shane (Mutantcheese) and let him know about this thread. I'm downloading the file of BAS now and will be browsing it. We had a lot of fun back in the day developing the BE.

Like Shane, I have moved on and have a very busy life now.

I finished downloading BAS and see all the various operating Environments and other various files. Over 24000 files
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2018-05-13 1:55 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

With the help of a friend here (guess which one ), I was able to procure a BE-500 with the silver color and the Japanese version of Top Menu. Strangely, though, it won't connect with either PC Connect or ActiveSync through any of the BE-300 cradles I have. I notice there are silver cradles in Japan for the BE-500, but I've been assuming that the hardware is wired identically on both. Am I wrong?

Because of this, initially I wasn't able to reflash it to another BE-500-compatible OE because I had only found PC Connect (.bin) versions of BE-500-compatible OEs. But a deeper Web search yesterday turned up one Japanese page still live with a download link for a backup.dat version of eXpod 6.1 for the BE-500. I tried it, and it flashed fine, and I was surprised to find that the desktop and Windows Explorer are both in English (though the dialog boxes and SIP remain Japanese). However, even with this OE installed, I still can't connect to either ActiveSync or PC Connect.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2018-05-13 8:55 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

haha, I wonder who....

I actually happen to have the cradle. Are you interested in it?
I don't have a good reason to keep mine for now.

Edited by stingraze 2018-05-13 8:56 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2018-05-14 2:33 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

It may be a hardware problem - I'm getting the same issue with one BE-300 as well. The physical connection on the motherboard looks fine on both, though.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2018-05-14 8:59 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Hmm... yeah, it could be a pin problem on the connector?
 Top of the page
MutantCheese Page Icon Posted 2018-05-14 5:39 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Well, it's been quite a while since I cranked her up but looks like my BE is still working. I'm not even attempting to fix that date.

-MutantCheese

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jVSHrJXkUnbzu28n1

Edited by MutantCheese 2018-05-14 5:39 PM
 Top of the page
renrut Page Icon Posted 2018-05-14 5:46 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Oh come on MC, that date thing was always a problem and factory restoring it would fix it. Do a backup, factory restore to fix the date then restore the backup.

As far as the cradle people are talking about, I didn't use mine even when my BE was working. I would copy the files from my PC to the card then put it in the BE. Clicking on it would run the install. We had all the DAT files (I think that was the file extension) for all the operating environments. We also had quite a bit of programs (Apps) for the BE too.
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 11