x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jlime files for Jornada 720 are still available

Dave Wurm Page Icon Posted 2017-04-01 5:46 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hi to all,

I have read several threads about Jlime recently. Can't make up my mind where this belongs. So, please forgive another thread on the topic.

As mentioned elsewhere, the Jlime site is no longer around.
But the installation files and instructions are still available at http://www.acetolyne.net/Projects/node/17#JLime
As far as I can see, the hpcfactor software repository directs people to the non-existent Jlime site.

Perhaps, it would be worthwhile for a moderator to download the files from the above site, while they are still available.

A few years back, one of the hpcfactor members was selling a ready made Jlime CF.
See the thread: [FS: WORLD] Jlime Linux CF - Configured to Boot - Jornada 7xx

He sold a few copies. I would have bought one from him recently, but they are temporarily packed away, due to a move.

I was able to successfully put Jlime on my J-720/728, the hard way (using the files and instructions at the above site). However, those instructions are very confusing to a Linux newbie, and I believe there are a few errors in the process as described. (By the way, I successfully used a SimpleTech CF card.)

Was there a repository with additional software suitable for Jlime on the J720?
If so, it probably went away with the Jlime site. There is no link to one at the above site.

Whether Linux on the J720 is worthwhile has been debated. WinCe is much quicker. But I was hoping to get a browser with working SSL, for occasional use. We'll see...
 Top of the page Quote Reply
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2017-04-01 10:55 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If someone has a full clone of the repository for the 7xx, 6xx, MP900 and NBP, I'll re-host it
Dave Wurm Page Icon Posted 2017-04-01 5:47 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Wow! Talk about fast response!
Ask a question, and presto... The new Jlime repository appears.
(I'm sure it has been in the works for awhile, and represents a lot of effort.)

Thank you,
Dave
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2017-04-01 5:53 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Yeah, it got floated back in December over here: http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=18212

I had to find some disk space first
ntware Page Icon Posted 2018-11-16 6:42 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Instructions from that site gave me frozen "Freeing init memory: 84K" boot screen. I though it could be related to the filesystem since in this step Linux hand over to the filesystem to continue the boot process. So I tried different configurations on my ext2 partition and nothing. Finally I decided to use the plain system from the Mongo-08.07.08 image file and not update it with the 2.6.25 kernel and modules. The system crashed with a kernel panic saying it couldn't find the filesystem. I scratched my head again, and though that maybe the CF card to HD implementations could be sitting on the newer kernel. So I just updated the kernel (zimage) with 2.6.25, but didn't add the modules. Then the system booted! However, since I didn't put the modules in, it gave me a lot of errors about not finding module X Y Z. Apart from these error messages, the system seems to be stable. I launched the GUI and almost everything worked, except WiFi.

Time to try the modules again, to maybe see if my WiFi card will work. After a successful boot, I then took the CF off and added the 2.6.25 modules in. Now, same problem. It get stuck at "Freeing init memory: 84K" boot screen. My guess is that there is one module in that package that doesn't like my Jornada 720, so it hangs. The hard part is figuring out which module it is. Anyone else had similar problems?
Ethan720 Page Icon Posted 2019-09-19 6:22 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thank goodnes! I just ordered a jornada 720 and noticed the website was gone
hpcboy Page Icon Posted 2020-10-03 3:39 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-10-03 4:40 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Mike1978 Page Icon Posted 2020-10-07 11:53 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I would also suggest taking a look at Stefan’s page he hosts the repository for jlime all the files are available on his wiki, running the update scripts at the end of the acetone instructions will update it further along than those downloads

http://www.sp-net.at/wiki/

He also has some more modern alternatives with the work he’s done using Devuan

Stefan is on here as dev_null

It’s what I’m doing with my 720 when I get the time.

Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 44 - Executed queries : 32