x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

SSH client CE 3.0

1 2
netcat Page Icon Posted 2017-04-10 1:52 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hi,

I am new to the forum, so please forgive me for stupid questions that may arise.

I am looking for an SSH client for CE 3.0. Can anyone recommend one? I've seen the commercial ones in the software collection section, are they any good? Not sure if I wan't to pay $49 dollars for it.

Also looking for a C compiler for CE 3.0 as I am interested to write network applications for the HP Jornada 720.

Any tips or hints appreciated.

Dennis

Edited by netcat 2017-04-10 1:52 PM
 Top of the page Quote Reply
SwizzleDude
SwizzleDude Page Icon Posted 2017-04-11 12:38 PM
#
Not sure about an SSH application but you should use eVC 3 or 4 for writing programs for Windows CE in C
Dave Wurm Page Icon Posted 2017-04-11 8:46 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hi netcat,
I have not done any programming, but I have attempted to use SSH on the Jornada 720, so far unsuccessfully. (If it makes any difference for the discussion, my J-720 has a J-728 ROM/RAM board.)

The two compatible programs available from the hpcfactor software section are: sshce1pro (freeware) and vxHpcPlus (a trial version). The description says registration of vxHpcPlus is $49.95. However, as far as I can tell, Cambridge Computers no longer registers or supports this product. They have not responded to my inquiries. This is the kind of dead end that haunts old technology, like the Jornada 720. Of the two programs, vxHpcPlus has more features, and even a set of instructions (a separate download).

In the past, there were a couple of VPN or PPTP programs available for WinCE. These required registration for a fee. As far as I can see, these companies have either disappeared or abandoned their old products.

When it comes to setting up secure connections, I really don't know what I am doing. But I have successfully used Putty on my Windows XP computer to access an SSH site (sdf.org), for testing purposes. I have tried both of the WinCE programs above. But both get stuck with a blinking cursor in the top left corner of the terminal window, and no command line prompt. Apparently, both programs fail to complete the secure connection. Most likely, I have missed a few setup steps, which are required under WinCE, but which are handled automatically by Putty under WinXP.

What are you wanting to do via SSH?
What sort of network applications are you wanting to create?

Originally, I was hoping to setup some kind of secure tunneling for email and limited web browsing with the J-720.

As for browsers, I have IE and Opera 8.65 (works under RedGear) available on my J-720. Both have SSL capability, for https connections. Unfortunately, almost all secure sites reject them. I have experimented a little with Jlime (Linux) on the J-720. In theory, the available Linux browsers are more recent. But the ones I have tried are also rejected by most https sites.

The Jlime repository does include versions of Putty, OpenSSL, OpenSSH, OpenVPN, and other similar programs. So, you might find a solution by running Linux on your J-720. However, running Linux from a CF card is a bit slower than running WinCE from RAM, and you won't have access to the regular WinCE programs while doing so. Being a bit discouraged by my experience with Linux browsers available for the J-720, I have not tried Putty or the other potential security solutions under Jlime.

If you are successful with SSH / SSL on the J-720, please let me know what you discover.

Thanks,

Dave
netcat Page Icon Posted 2017-04-12 4:02 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hi,

Thank you very much for the fast reply. Can you tell me more about where to get eVC 3 or 4 for writing programs for Windows CE in C?

It all started with writing backdoors in C back in the days. All written from scratch (with books in my shelf as reference) and all command line controlled. I never spread them in the interned and it turned out that the best feature I've ever build in was the file transfer. It's based on the client - server principle and will run on any device that understands TCP/IP and is able to handle sockets. As it is written in C all I need to do is porting the code to the target system and it will work. Means the HP Jornada 7xx can act as file server and you can easily put things on to it or pull it of as you like. It's works similar as netcat, if you ever had a play with it, but is a lot more comfortable than netcat as this is working completely in the background and can be controlled via client cli program.

I would love to use the Jornada as a Serial interface to access my switches and firewalls (as I am coming more from a networking background) to make more use of the Jornada.

Dave Wurm, can you tell where to get a full version of Opera 8.65 from? All I could find is the trial one and it looks very interesting!

Thanks again,

Dennis
Dave Wurm Page Icon Posted 2017-04-12 7:36 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hi netcat,
You can find eVC 4 in the software download section of this site. Type "evc" in the search window (without the quotes).
You can find eVC 3 and other tools in the same place. Type "embedded visual" in the search window.

Regarding Opera 8.65, I purchased registration from Opera about 10 years ago. Their current browsers are offered free. I suppose you would need to contact Opera, to see if they will register this old version. You can find other old versions (probably demos) at http://get.opera.com/ftp/pub/opera/winmobile/

Edited by Dave Wurm 2017-04-12 8:27 PM
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2017-04-13 7:58 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

netcat - 2017-04-13 1:02 AM

Hi,

Thank you very much for the fast reply. Can you tell me more about where to get eVC 3 or 4 for writing programs for Windows CE in C?

It all started with writing backdoors in C back in the days. All written from scratch (with books in my shelf as reference) and all command line controlled. I never spread them in the interned and it turned out that the best feature I've ever build in was the file transfer. It's based on the client - server principle and will run on any device that understands TCP/IP and is able to handle sockets. As it is written in C all I need to do is porting the code to the target system and it will work. Means the HP Jornada 7xx can act as file server and you can easily put things on to it or pull it of as you like. It's works similar as netcat, if you ever had a play with it, but is a lot more comfortable than netcat as this is working completely in the background and can be controlled via client cli program.

I would love to use the Jornada as a Serial interface to access my switches and firewalls (as I am coming more from a networking background) to make more use of the Jornada.

Dave Wurm, can you tell where to get a full version of Opera 8.65 from? All I could find is the trial one and it looks very interesting!

Thanks again,

Dennis

You must be a power-user of network devices as you know how to use netcat!

After a quick search, this site came up:

https://www.devarticles.com/c/a/Embedded-Tools/HTTP-Requesting-with-...

It might help you.

Also, as for C compiler, although it is a shareware, PocketC seems to be a good choice.
http://www.orbworks.com/pcce/download.html

-stingraze

Edited by stingraze 2017-04-13 8:03 AM
Dave Wurm Page Icon Posted 2017-04-14 5:25 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

netcat,
Just so you know... I have successfully opened an SSH connection on my Jornada 720/728 with PocketPutty. The version that worked for me is for PocketPC2002, it requires RedGear and the 22KB Aygshell.dll (which you can find at http://hpcmonex.net/izemize.htm Scroll down to the aygshell collection). I also used Executability Checker to set the program file to CE 3.0 (rather than 4.2). The program is pretty slow when loading SSH pages. It is much quicker in the plain Telnet mode.
I found the PocketPutty software on the WayBack Machine, at https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20071011005207/http://www.pocketput... Also, at http://pocketputty.aleq.cz/download.html (The 'stable' PPC2002 file.)

I could not get the WM2003 version to work reliably.

The older version (v .1) worked with RedGear (but did not need an Aygshell.dll). It is slightly quicker, but is a bit more buggy. It has very few user adjustable parameters (You can enter the server address, and choose between SSH1, SSH2, or None. That's it.)

Edited by Dave Wurm 2017-04-14 5:35 AM
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2017-04-14 5:37 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Why would you need to change the OS version on a Pocket PC 2002 file? That's based on CE 3 already.
Dave Wurm Page Icon Posted 2017-04-14 6:55 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Oops! As you said, the PPC2002 version was already CE 3.0. So, there was no need to change that.
(After a lot of head scratching, I confused what was attempted on the various program versions.)

The WM2003 version did require OS change from 4.2 to 3.0. Also, Executability Check said it was unhappy with the original coredll.dll (Actually, with that coredll, PocketPutty WM3 would load, but got stuck immediately.) There were several coredll.dll variations (from the izemize site), which did not show problems under E.C. I tried all of those (assigning a new name, and rewriting the file name to the .exe file with E.C.). But PocketPutty WM3 would not even load with those. The window came up briefly and then vanished. (The PPC2002 version was happy with the original coredll.dll, just needed RedGear and an aygshell.dll)

By the way, compared to PocketPutty PPC2002, vxHpcPlus allows more user configuration options. Of course, they are of no benefit, if the program won't do the job. Apparently, vxHpcPlus does not have current security capabilities. If the server will accept SSH1, it might work. (The same limitation applies to sshCe1.)

Thanks for the correction.

Edited by Dave Wurm 2017-04-14 7:06 PM
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2017-04-15 10:31 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Perhaps someone would like to create a zip file with the exact bits necessary and some instructions so that we can add it to the SCL?
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2017-04-17 4:58 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Thanks to Dave who has written that up for us. I've dropped it onto the SCL here http://www.hpcfactor.com/scl/details.asp?id=1039

There is a resources zip on the downloads tab as provided by Dave. If it works on other devices, please don't forget to up-vote it in the compatibility section to help other users.

p.s. if anyone has a clone of (or is able to clone) the SVN for it, please could they drop it over as well? The HTTP version is down and it isn't on the WBM.
netcat Page Icon Posted 2017-04-18 1:30 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thank you very much!

I've just downloaded the file from the SCL and will give it a try as soon as I got some time for it as my kids are keeping me busy and there is no way escaping them at the moment

I've downloaded eVC 3.0 as well but running into issues when installing it onto a virtual drive in wine, again just a matter of time to get it sorted. Thanks again for the links.

I never used RegGear to get anything running as I am more then happy using nPOPuk for my emails (via SSL) and gave pretty much up on browsing the web with a 2G card. A text based web browser would be nice at some point. I know NetFront is offering such functionality but I wasn't really impressed with it and I didn't get a license from them directly so I probably leave the browsing thing. I know there is Opera for 865 which will also run with RedGear and I might give it a try.

I will update you as soon as I achieved something.

Thanks again,

Dennis

Edited by netcat 2017-04-18 2:27 PM
netcat Page Icon Posted 2017-04-18 6:09 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Do the two RedGear cab files need to be installed in a particular order?
Dave Wurm Page Icon Posted 2017-04-18 7:29 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

I think you only need one RedGear cab file... the one for your native operating system. For the J-720, this would be RedGear_1_0_2_300_ARM.cab
At least, that looks like what I installed on my system, a long time back, before it was freeware.

I don't know what the Redistributables file contains. I don't think it was included in the package that I installed.

Once you get RedGear running, you will probably discover that while some programs won't run without it, others may not run with it turned on (others are happy either way). To remind myself of which is which, I have renamed the links to some programs, adding "RedGear' or "No RedGear" to the name (eg., "Opera - RedGear", "Margi Presenter - No RedGear"). Often, if you try to open a RedGear sensitive program, with the wrong RedGear environment (on/off) the system will hang and a soft reset will be needed. Both types of programs can be run in the same session. You just need to make sure that RedGear is in the appropriate mode (on/off), at the time that you start each program.

By the way, while experimenting on other things, I had to do a hard reset on my J-720.
After doing so, PocketPutty no longer likes the 22 Kb aygshell. It works better with the 16.8 Kb and also one of the 7.5 Kb versions.
With the "wrong" aygshell, when you open a connection, the terminal window opens and appears to connect, but the window has no toolbar or external buttons. Without those buttons, the only way to close the program is with a soft reset.

Also, although PocketPutty is billed as a port of Putty, it does lack some important features. For example, I don't see a way to use SSH to tunnel other applications through a local port on PocketPutty. It may be there, but I don't know how.

Dave

Edited by Dave Wurm 2017-04-18 7:40 PM
netcat Page Icon Posted 2017-04-19 5:48 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I was able to SSH in to my Juniper firewall today. Strange enough it worked best with using none of these shells. I'll will try to serial in to it as soon as my RS232 gender changer adaptor is getting delivered by the end of the week.

Edited by netcat 2017-04-19 5:58 PM

(_20170419_175250.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments _20170419_175250.JPG (73KB - 9 downloads)
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 53 - Executed queries : 28