x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Netflix Downloading Possible with Rooted Android?

Jake Page Icon Posted 2017-04-17 8:15 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I'm still struggling to root my RCA Voyage Pro, but one thing that's come up in my searching is a complaint that rooted Android devices (Kitkat and above) are prevented from using the new-n-groovy Netflix addition of downloading Netflix video to watch offline.

Does anybody use a rooted Android machine with Netflix? Can this downloading problem be confirmed?

Jake
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2017-04-18 8:54 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Jake,

Are you sure you need to root the device? You can install custom firmware e.g. LineageOS without rooting it. You do not have to root it.

Netflix have always been pretty strict about device filtering, build.prop used to need some attention even on custom firmware. So for them to be checking for rooted devices would seem on-par with their historic activities.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2017-04-18 2:08 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Ah, I hadn't heard of LineageOS. That looks great. However, it would appear that LineageOS, while itself unrooted, does need device-rooting for actual installation:

http://www.androidbeat.com/2017/02/how-to-install-lineageos-android... [in the Prerequisite Section]

If I ever did get this thing rooted, LineageOS might solve the second problem of missing custom ROMs.

Thanks for the heads-up,
Jake
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2017-04-18 6:09 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Lineage needs a custom recovery, it depends on your device if that means root or not.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 8