x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

oski Page Icon Posted 2005-07-21 11:32 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hi,

I am still looking for alternatives to put new life in my z50, specially a browser.
Tried NetBSD and is promising but the browser Dillo still has issues to handle cookies and being accepted in many websites like msn and hotmail. Firefox is to big, but I will try it again when I can afford a 4GB Microdrive

I know that Linux vr is not active, and I did not manage to find the reccommended bootloader, install kernel, and kernel (the websites indicated are inactive), but can be an interesting option to be used to load something like Puppy Linux on top of it.

Any comments will be much appreciated

oski
 Top of the page
oski Page Icon Posted 2005-08-22 5:12 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hi,

I am sure that some of the wise men (and women!!!) there will help a newbie as happened before.

From http://pc1.penuts.gr.jp/~kei/install.htm I downloaded cyace(bootloader) a kernel (compiled for z50) and a miniroot.

1. Installed cyace+kernel in the dos partition of a CF, and miniroot in an ext2 partition. I used an old box saved from the tip, where I installed Debian.

2. When running cyace I get an error: "lost 2148 pages". I think I have properly configured cyace. What is the problem ??????

3. Assuming problems with cyace, I tried hpcboot that I used successfully with NetBSD, and booted the kernel!!!!!! but.... I got this kernel panic: "I have no root and I want to scream". The root is there but hpcboot can not find it!!!!

Any suggetions how to progress wit linux-vr???

Or directions on how to install lin ux in a MIPS? I envy the ARM guys that can have Debian!!!!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-22 10:44 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

ask Snappy!, he should be able to have ideas on your problem (he's already had experience with netbsd on a MIPS machine)
 Top of the page
oski Page Icon Posted 2005-08-22 4:00 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hi,

I finally managed to boot linux-vr!!!!!!!!

Was only a matter of giving hpcboot where to find the root.

I booted with two different roots: one indicated as Linux-MC and the other as RedHat 6.1.

Next step is to get the LAN working
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 9