x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

I hate moving...

1 2 3
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2017-07-18 8:25 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

For many, the only moves they have experienced has been across town. My mom and dad lived in the same city for 70 years.

I, on the other hand, have moved all over the world. Of course some of this was related to the fact that I was in the military for 21 years. But even after that, I moved a few times. Sometimes because of work, sometimes because I grew tired of the area, sometimes to be with the wife's family for a while.

Since 2001 I've lived in Michigan. And I've been here longer than most other places. I obtained my Bachelors Degree in central Michigan at CMU over in Mt. Pleasant. I then moved to Big Rapids where I got my Masters. After than I almost moved to Flint where I was offered a teaching position at a high school...thank goodness I turned it down. It wasn't even the water as much as the depressed slum conditions just didn't appeal to me.

Luckily another teaching job opened up in Evart and I taught there for a number of years until I got hired on as an adjunct professor at Ferris State University.

So where is all this going?

I AM SICK AND TIRED OF THE DAMN CAR RUSTING WINTERS!

I'm moving south...probably will live in Gulfport, Mississippi again, but may continue down to the Florida panhandle...I'm thinking Pensacola. You would think at 64 years of age that I wouldn't be doing this crap...but I figure I'd better do it at 64 than try it at 74.

Target date: End of November this year...but busy packing stuff up right now!

For those of you who have never moved...don't...it is a pain in the _ _ _!
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2017-07-19 4:57 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I have moved, a lot. It is a pain in the rear end! Ah, Pensacola. Nice place when I lived there in 91 through 95. I haven't been there since of course so things could have changed. But the beaches are nice! If you end up in Pensacola, I'll visit from Georgia. You can show me your collection of handhelds.

**Edit**
And a professor of all things. Always thought you were a magical PDA wizard that had a never ending supply of the things.

Edited by HPC:Fan 2017-07-19 4:58 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2017-07-19 5:55 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I'd expect the humid air in the South would rust your car pretty good too.

I'm a stark contrast to Rich, since I've lived my whole life in Southern California. Even today I live just over the hills from where I grew up. I've been in my current home for over 18 years now, since the days of H/PC Pro. That's the longest I've ever lived at any one address, though. I think moving would be a big task anyway, since I'd have to pack up all these CE devices (and find another place big enough for them).
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2017-07-19 1:52 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Actually cars in the south don't rust, even on the coast. Common to see a 30 y/o car looking like new. I mean drive it into the ocean...okay, but otherwise...now here in Michigan, road salt is like acid to cars. Check out used cars on Craigslist for Michigan, Indiana, Pennslyvania, New York, Ohio...those are the big rust bucket states.

Lol...ask me where I lived from 92-96 and I can tell you. But for CEGeek you have to say, "Where did you live from CE 1-CE 2.11?"

HPCFan...adjunct professor. Just means someone who has their MS degree but no doctorate that they can hire at half pay to save money...the tenured instructors at FSU earn about 150K per year and only carry a 12 credit hour workload each semester. When I was teaching full-time I was carrying a 15-18 credit hour workload...that is teaching 5-6 classes a week which is a killer schedule...and making less than 80K. I normally had two 3hr classes on Mon and Wed, same on Tue and Thur, and a 4 hr class on Fridays.

Do you know how much unfun it is to teach statistics to freshmen? Most can't even add or subtract...
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2017-07-19 2:19 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Rich, I bet you got a lot more knowledge into your students than you realize. That's the thing about good teaching, it doesn't show up until years later.

I moved to nine countries in 25 years. Granted, the US Embassy did my packing/shipping, but there were weight restrictions and various rules and always the danger of property loss in corrupt countries. We had friends who lost everything near the Philippians when the cargo boat sank.

So I'm glad to back in our small Maryland home. I'm done bouncing around, so my next move won't be until I'm going to a nursing home and I probably won't know that's happening, anyway

Mississippi should be a good place for you, if your town is on the coast and fishing readily available.

Jake
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2017-07-19 2:35 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

It is on the coast...Gulfport. Pattie and I already rented a house and will make the move towards the end of September. The house (cottage size) is about 1/4 mile from the water. Only 1 mile from the Gulfport Yacht Club where I plan on docking my sailboat (if I can talk Pattie into letting me buy another).

I share the moving hatred with you Jake. On one move in the military they lost my dining room table...and then said they found it and brought me someone else's. It was a really nice heavy oak table with 8 chairs and two leafs. I told Atlas Van lines "thank you for finding my table and chairs." Never did find out what happened with my $300 pine set...but enjoyed the $1000 oak set for many years.

When I was flying medevac I never lost a thing, despite setting down in a new country every day. Of course, everything I owned was stored in a single B4 bag while on duty, and stashed in the aircraft by the loadmaster somewhere... But one time we had to make an emergency landing at Clark AFB and left the aircraft on the tarmac while they shuttled us to a hotel. That evening when we met downstairs to eat supper as a group, someone entered our rooms and rifled through the bags and stole all the pricey items, cameras, radios, jewelry, etc. They hit every room. This was before the days of microcomputers. Of course nothing was ever found nor was anyone ever caught. It had to have been an inside job.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2017-07-19 3:48 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Geez, that kind of robbery on an airforce base? Yeah, definitely an inside job.

We were pretty lucky, property-wise, with our moves. In Rio, our stuff got tied up for months in a port strike, so the constant humidity warped a lot of framed stuff and in the same port, the roof of the gunny's car was bisected by some crane (and the poor guy got hosed by the insurance company).

The main problem is just the steady tension of moving. That, and overseas temporary housing (a-home-away-from-home-away-from-home)--that wore me down the hardest.

Jake
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2017-07-26 2:37 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Oh, I just saw the tittle and knew it was Rich. I'm on vacation in South Padre Island. Let me say that it is very nice here. Even at the end of July. So very nice. If you moved here I would come visit you. Heck, even if you moved around the Destin Florida area I would come. About the same distance for us. We are actually going g to close soon on a new home so we will be moving as well. Wish us luck!
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2017-07-26 10:26 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Cool! Our HPCs could play together...
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2017-07-28 12:22 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Okay, Gulfport is only 9 hours from where we live. We are going to plan a trip to Gulf Shores Alabama in the next year. May be able to stop by and say hi. Don't think my wife will let me go fishing with you though.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2017-08-08 4:45 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

So, we just closed on our new house and I got the keys today. Very happy about being a home owner again. We have been packing and are ready for the move. This is a harder move than the last one. My company payed to pack us up and move us the last time. This time it will be truck load by truck load. Have to be out of this house by the end of the month. Wish us luck!
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2017-08-08 10:17 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I'm making my first load tomorrow morning. Leaving Michigan, headed to Gulfport. Pickup with trailer behind...1200 miles one way. Gonna put it all in a climate controlled storage 10x10 room for a few months. Then gonna spend 2 weeks searching for a house to buy before returning to MI. Plan on making last trip out of her Nov 30th...so I empathise with you.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2017-08-08 8:18 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Yoldering - 2017-08-07 8:45 PM

So, we just closed on our new house and I got the keys today. Very happy about being a home owner again.

With all the yard maintenance hassles I'm dealing with right now, I have to admit I can appreciate the days when I was a renter (or when I lived in a townhome), when I didn't have to worry about that stuff. But I'll own this place free and clear next year, so I guess it's worth it.

Rich Hawley - 2017-08-08 2:17 AM

Gonna put it all in a climate controlled storage 10x10 room for a few months.

I might need one of those to store all my CE devices.

Rich, how do you feel about moving from Tornado Alley to hurricane country?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2017-08-08 9:41 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

No tornados up here...last one in this area was 1976. Big Rapids is like the twilight zone...strange. Bad weather is always north of us or south of us. Heck, we only get thunderstorms half a dozen times a year.

As far as hurricanes go...been through plenty of those. I plan on buying a house a couple of miles inland. Wife's family lived 200 yards from the water...lost everything in Katrina...
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2017-08-22 6:51 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Today at lunch I moved the final couple of things out of our old house. The carpet cleaning guy had just left and the house is clean! Today we will sweep and mop the floors again and get the rest of the cleaning supplies. Inspection is tomorrow and we worked really hard to get our security deposit back! Great thing about this move is we are really downsizing. Got rid of a lot of stuff we had not used in a while. I am sending my sister an old laptop, old tablet, and my old IPhone. Feels good to purge... From here on out we are going to be very careful at what items we buy. We have always been minimalists to a certain degree, but moving from a 5 room house with a 2.5 car garage to a 2 room home is very challenging to say the least.

We moved everything by ourselves after work in my truck and her car and I am tired....

I hate moving...
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.281 - Cached queries : 52 - Executed queries : 31