x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

A New Psion!

1 2 3 4 5
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2017-09-19 5:20 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I honestly never thought I'd see the day...

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/02/28/inside_the_new_psion_gemini...

*Edit*
Their Indiegogo page (funded) https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gemini-pda-android-linux-keyboard...

Looks like it'll have a nice keyboard, run either Android or Linux. Plus, the original designer of the Psion 5 is on board. Can't wait to see this in person. The only two things I don't like so far, no pen (they could have included one that looked like their old, beautiful stylus) and the bezels on each side of the screen. (Unless they fill that in with some sort of capacitive touch buttons.)

Edited by HPC:Fan 2017-09-19 5:33 PM
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2017-09-20 2:01 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I saw it on Engadget via twitter! Looks very nice. Has a nice European feel to it, imo.
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2017-09-25 12:10 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

As long as the keyboard is half as good as what I've grown to expect from Psion handhelds, and the hardware is up to par, this is a guaranteed buy.
 Top of the page
nicmalone Page Icon Posted 2017-11-04 10:38 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Have any of you backed this? I’m temped but want to know which country it will ship from so I can factor in import fees. For example, if the units are shipped to UK backers straight from China rather than Planet Computers UK headquarters, the import tax,VAT and Royal Mail handing fee will add an extra ~£90 to the $299 IndieGoGo cost. If anyone has already backed it, could they please pose the shipment origin question on the campaign comments page for those of us still on the fence?
 Top of the page
wyrm Page Icon Posted 2017-11-06 7:23 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

I have backed it. Looks like a winner. If you want to pre-order it, you'll have to be quick I think...

From their Indiegogo page:

Mike Halsey:
10 days ago
@Michael Liberman, I was told by @Planet they would be closing purchasing here on Oct 31st, so they can press on with production. Whether they’re sticking to this is anybody’s guess
 Top of the page
Mobi Page Icon Posted 2017-11-06 2:51 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

I just watched some of the videos on the Indiegogo page and it looks like they're well on their way to producing a good device.

The 4G connectivity is a plus: you could ditch your phone if you wanted to. I barely use my phone as a phone.

The size is a minus. It's slightly smaller than a Jornada -- and I don't think I could type on anything smaller than a Jornada. The MobilePro 900 was a much more typing-friendly size, and I regret selling mine at this point.
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2017-11-06 10:11 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

@Wyrm, thanks for the info. I didn't see that.

@Mobi, I agree. It looks like a fantastic device. 4G is a huge plus. I write somewhat comfortably on my Psion 5, so the size for me isn't an issue. I don't have a Journada to compare the Psion 5 with, so I don't know how that compares. I still have my MP900, it'll be with me until it just doesn't chooch anymore.

@Nicmalone, hopefully Wyrm can help with that.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2017-11-06 10:46 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I haven't quite figured out how a user might use Gemini as a day-to-day phone. Can't quite tell, but it appears you have to have it open and an OS loaded to make/receive calls. I've seen that movie with the HTC Shift x9500, and while it was very cool to make phone calls, I wouldn't want to do it on the subway.

Granted the x9500 was a tad bigger...

Jake

Top of the page
Mobi Page Icon Posted 2017-11-07 3:03 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Jake - 2017-11-06 2:46 PM

I haven't quite figured out how a user might use Gemini as a day-to-day phone. Can't quite tell, but it appears you have to have it open and an OS loaded to make/receive calls. I've seen that movie with the HTC Shift x9500, and while it was very cool to make phone calls, I wouldn't want to do it on the subway.

Jake

I think I could manage it, since I probably don't talk more than twice a month on the phone. I do text a lot, and a full keyboard could make that pretty nice.

Remember those bluetooth headsets the power-executive BlackBerry types used to use back in the day? Maybe one of those would be the best way to use the Gemini as a phone. Maybe.

Given that the device runs Android, I don't think (but I don't know either... I'm just speculating) that you'd have to keep anything loaded to keep the phone at the ready. It should just be in standby when it's 'off' or closed (in the absence of a full shutdown).
 Top of the page
markfptuson Page Icon Posted 2017-11-07 11:50 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Mobi - 2017-11-07 3:03 AM

Jake

I think I could manage it, since I probably don't talk more than twice a month on the phone. I do text a lot, and a full keyboard could make that pretty nice.

Remember those bluetooth headsets the power-executive BlackBerry types used to use back in the day? Maybe one of those would be the best way to use the Gemini as a phone. Maybe.

Given that the device runs Android, I don't think (but I don't know either... I'm just speculating) that you'd have to keep anything loaded to keep the phone at the ready. It should just be in standby when it's 'off' or closed (in the absence of a full shutdown).
Remember when BlackBerry handsets didn't even have mics and speakers, even though they were phones too - when you had to have a wired headset to even be able to access the phone functionality?
 Top of the page
Mobi Page Icon Posted 2017-11-07 3:28 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

markfptuson - 2017-11-07 3:50 AM

Mobi - 2017-11-07 3:03 AM

Jake

Remember when BlackBerry handsets didn't even have mics and speakers, even though they were phones too - when you had to have a wired headset to even be able to access the phone functionality?

Oddly, yes I do. The 5810 is listed on this page: https://crackberry.com/evolution-blackberry-pictures

Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2017-11-08 6:24 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Mobi - 2017-11-06 10:03 PM

That's what I'm thinking. Have the Gemini tucked away and use a bluetooth headset. You could even take it a step further, and use an Android Wear smart watch to see who is calling, receive and send texts.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2017-11-08 10:19 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I think I use my phone, prolly every day, for talking, and I don't have a landline. The headset would work for making calls; it might be cumbersome for answering calls.

Well, plenty of time to ponder. There were a lot of naysayers about the Gemini, but when I saw their latest video actually running Ubuntu (the GPD Pocket was months late w/ their poor release), it truly looks like this thing is going to happen.

Maybe the 2nd or later will do a candybar revisit. Put some basic phone controls on the outside cover and let you work the phone without opening it. Though that would add to width for sure.

Jake
 Top of the page
nicmalone Page Icon Posted 2017-11-08 10:23 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

It does have an external ‘voice assistant' button. Maybe this allows you to make calls without opening the clamshell - to people already in the address book.
 Top of the page
nicmalone Page Icon Posted 2017-11-08 10:43 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

For me the main use will be working on a train and when away from home in hotels -saves lugging a laptop around, and has a smaller footprint on train seat trays compared to an iPad + keyboard case combo.

I can also see a big use for it as a ad-hoc desktop. Add a USB-C to HDMI cable, external monitor (hotel tv) and BT keyboard and mouse and you have a portable desktop set-up for more ergonomic working. Something my J720 can almost do with a Colorgraphic VGA card, NYDITOT Virtual Display resolution rescaling app and the HP External keyboard...but no mouse.
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.285 - Cached queries : 51 - Executed queries : 30