x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

A New Psion!

1 2 3 4 5
wyrm Page Icon Posted 2018-05-31 10:56 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

I am still waiting for my wifi-version of the Gemini (ordered march 2017), can't wait! smb_gaiden and Duckworth: What's your opinion after a few weeks of usage?
 Top of the page
smb_gaiden Page Icon Posted 2018-05-31 5:21 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I still like it a lot. Works exactly as I expected it to. Using an app for debian as pointed out by the sony tablet thread will open up even more power usage for me.

Basically I run the rooted version of android, so I am not applying any more push updates to the firmware in case of oversights in QA.

Installed:
Juice SSH so I can have local terminal and ssh into other things
AIDE and NDK and the paid key, so i can write software on it. USing juice i can write and port command line apps too.
Microsoft office apps (word, excel, powerpoint, onenote)
ES File explorer so i can do stuff with files locally and on the network

Future work:
Install the debian overlay and the X windowing system then some other linux apps
 Top of the page
wyrm Page Icon Posted 2018-06-19 9:40 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

I received my Gemini yesterday, the Wifi-only version. It is everything I wished for and dreamt about. It is a productivity-monster! The only drawback so far are the lousy speakers, very, very bad and disapointing.

The keyboard is just great (using it now), battery life is excellent and on the software side (Android) I have zero complaints.

I am curious why it isn't discussed here on a daily base. For me, this is the hpc that I was waiting for for a long long time.

Edited by wyrm 2018-06-19 10:38 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2018-06-19 10:54 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Want to write a review? Let us know what we're missing?
 Top of the page
smb_gaiden Page Icon Posted 2018-06-21 1:20 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I wrote a review, see post on page 2 of this thread Posted at 2018-05-02 6:45 PM

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2018-06-21 5:01 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Nice detailed review, smb_gaiden.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2018-06-21 11:59 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

smb_gaiden - 2018-05-04 8:23 AM

Also activated a Freedompop SIM in it for 4G. One bad side effect was they quickly ran through the spiel about a second SIM card in the mail and I wasn't able to refuse before they put the 2nd order in. Seems to catch 4G on AT&T network. Couldn't figure out how to place a phone call yet, but that's probably an artifact of me turning the phone's mobile data off until needed. Anyway, no intent to do voice or text. Just 4G when out without wifi and also low on main line's 4G data for the month.

Nice. This reminds me of me getting a similar SIM in Japan called 0 SIM by nuro where until 500MB, the charge (tariff) is completely free. It cost me 3000 JPY for activation, but yeah, that is usually the case when you sign up to any wireless carrier. The cost keeps going up until 5GB, where it stops at 1600 JPY.

I use it on my Motorola G4 Plus which I used in Taiwan the other day without problems.
Since I used a Taiwan Telecom 5day unlimited SIM there, it saved me a lot of money.

Back to 0SIM, the speed isn't that great, but I am thinking of disabling automatic updates and try out using it on my Sony Tablet P soon.

I wish Japan had lower rates for wireless carriers in general, with no cap on data transfer.

Edited by stingraze 2018-06-22 12:06 AM
 Top of the page
smb_gaiden Page Icon Posted 2018-06-22 4:33 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Agree, taiwan has nice short term plans for wireless data. It's been a while since I've been there and taken advantage of it.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2018-06-22 8:27 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

The connection speed was better than I expected.

It's amazing they can afford to do that service with that price. Maybe the number of population is the cause (not burdening the 4G / LTE network so much).
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2018-12-03 12:02 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Update from Planet Computers:

Finally, my order of 2 x External Camera Add-on is on its way here.
Phew....

They made me wait several months...
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2019-06-15 2:41 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Sorry to bring up this thread again, but I’m seriously considering buying a Gemini. After dusting out my J720 and playing a bit with Linux on it, I though how nice would it be if I had a modern Jornada running a more modern Linux. Well, apparently the Gemini is the answer. For those of you who already god one, do you have any advices or concerns? I’m particularly concerned about the usb-c HDMI our. Apparently Planet used a non-standard way to source the HDMI signal so that only their cable works. I’ve also seen on some forums people complaining that the cable didn’t work on all monitors. This concerns me because I want to use the Gemini as a laptop replacement for travels and presentations. Figuring out at the last minute that the hdmi on the projector is not compatible will suck! I have a USB displaylink (Sabrent) adapter that works great on those panic situations. Have anyone tried one of these USB video out cards on the Gemini? Also, can someone post a side by side comparison between the Gemini and the J720? Thanks guys!
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2019-06-15 2:47 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I have a Gemini and I use it as my daily phone. I like it very much, but it has its hiccups--occasionally stuck keys, I've see complaints about a faltering microphone, and loosening hinges. While the Psion was king of hardware problems (the dreaded screen cable), Gemini is a first-gen device with issues that can range from mild to vexing.

Archie Mark, I know, uses the Debian TP almost exclusively on his Gem, so I'm hoping he posts here. I tried to like the Linux and I VERY much admire its lonely developer, but I had issues--no phone, need for third-party pointer, and often buggy updating. I gave up on it, Sailfish too (which I found very unfinished and practically app-free), and reflashed my Gem to just an unrooted Nougat.

Looking over my post, I see it's more negative than positive, and that's not the way I feel. My Gem is vital to my day, it has excellent battery life, and I'm all in on a non-rooted Android--TextMaker, Granular Immersion, HanDBase, Acalendar+, Status Bar Mini Pro. I haven't even upgraded to Oreo; I'm content with current things. I do worry about the actual hardware, but I'm used to that with my aging handhelds.

Were I you, I'd wait for the second-gen Gemini, the Cosmo, which apparently has interesting improvements.

But if you just want a tiny Linux machine, then perhaps go for the GPD MicroPC. I backed it on IGG and wait patiently for its shipping. But it will be available for retail. A Linux wizard has just patched the main kernel to fix display problems on the MicroPC, so Linux should be fine on the 6" screen. Its keyboard will not be as good as the Gemini's, I imagine, but you'll have a full-fledged computer rather than a technical preview. And if Linux is what you want, the MicroPC will be cheaper than the Gemini.

Jake
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2019-06-16 12:00 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Thank you for the through info Jake! My main interest in the Gemini is to use it as a Linux machine. Although the MicroPC might seem tempting (I had a GPD Pocket and know that GPD makes really nice devices), it is not even close to the "sexiness" of the Gemini. From the pictures, the MicroPC looks a bit cumbersome with a really bad keyboard. The downside is that apparently Linux is not well supported on the Gemini. I don't care if the phone functionality doesn't work under Linux, as I'm planning to keep my main phone and use it as a portable travel computer. But it seems that there are other stuff also not working, like GPU acceleration, HiDPI scaling, etc. So now I'm thinking about keeping a rooted Android in it and use Linux Deploy to boot Debian on a container. I've used Linux Deploy on my previous Android phone and it works great. Have you tried it on your Gemini?
 Top of the page
nicmalone Page Icon Posted 2019-06-16 11:58 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Here are some photos comparing the Gemini and a Jornada 720. You can see the Gemini is half the thickness of the Jornada, a slightly smaller footprint and darker screen. The keys are a bit bigger on the Gemini and the keyboard deeper yet narrower (it’s near identical to a Psion 5 keyboard).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/photos/share/DdHwI8UDo4vXCAEDrFcbsBO9dCywID...
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2019-06-16 1:33 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
@ntware: I hadn't heard of the intriguing Linux Deploy, but I think you're on the right track--a rooted (which allows more Linux) Oreo working with a Linux distro should take care of most of your needs. You could even use it as a phone

While I of course prefer Linux over Android, I've yet to find something that Android can't do, even unrooted. And of course, no Netflix downloads on Linux.

Were you to utilize the Gem as a phone, my guess is you'd use Android more than Linux Deploy, if only for the touch-friendly aspects of Android. Carrying around a pointer, I would find that bothersome.

Let us know how it works out, especially with that cool Linux Deploy.

You also might check out availability of the Cosmo before pulling trigger on the Gem.

Jake

edit: @nicmalone--thanks for those pictures!

Edited by Jake 2019-06-16 1:35 PM
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 12