x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

A New Psion!

1 2 3 4 5
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2019-06-19 11:02 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

nicmalone - 2019-06-16 8:58 PM

Here are some photos comparing the Gemini and a Jornada 720. You can see the Gemini is half the thickness of the Jornada, a slightly smaller footprint and darker screen. The keys are a bit bigger on the Gemini and the keyboard deeper yet narrower (it’s near identical to a Psion 5 keyboard).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/photos/share/DdHwI8UDo4vXCAEDrFcbsBO9dCywID...

Nice comparison photo! Thanks!

Edited by stingraze 2019-06-19 11:03 AM
 Top of the page
nicmalone Page Icon Posted 2019-06-19 3:53 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Sorry ?? I meant the Jornada has the darker screen, of course. It’s old (TFT?) screen technology cant compete with the LEDs of the Gemini. Plus mine is 19 years old with an iffy backlight anyway!
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2019-06-20 4:20 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Yes, I know. The Handheld PC from this area suffers backlight issues, sadly. Like my Sigmarion 1...
I like the body color of the Gemini, very nice.
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2019-06-23 4:16 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

I believe the new Gemini is an Android based OS and has a cell phone option from what I recall. Most android devices are upgradable (OS version wise) and there is the google play apps store. But all those bells and whistles can be a distraction...

I remember seeing an internet article on DIY replacement of the Jornada fluorescent backlight tube with a series of small LEDs...so it can be refurbished...I will look into it and see if it can be simplified...
 Top of the page
nicmalone Page Icon Posted 2019-06-23 10:10 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

All those modern internet, social media “bells and whistles” can be a distraction. If anyone has a Jornada 720 or 728*, uses it mainly to get focussed work done (maybe on long train or plane trips) but bemoans the old Jornada’s lack of modern internet or Bluetooth sharing and is considering Gemini, consider instead a Toshiba FlashAir SD card. Using a CF adapter, you can use a FlashAir to transfer files from your Jornada to your Apple or Android phone. The FlashAir sets up its own secure WiFi network that your phone can connect to. A FlashAir app on your phone then lets you see the files saved to the FlashAir card. No app or driver is needed on the Jornada. The FlashAir costs around £35 - a lot cheaper than a Gemini! This worked well for me as a stop gap until my Kickstarter Gemini finally arrived (I prefer to the option of having the bells and whistles - my Gemini is WiFi-only so I just turn that off if I want to focus)

*not sure if earlier Jornadas or other Handheld PCs provide enough power to the CF card slot to power the FlashAir (my old Psion 5 doesn’t)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-06-23 10:24 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

This?

Interesting, I've not seen those before. Clever.

You'll need or . What is the power drain like on them?
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2019-06-25 12:45 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I would love to have that thing, but man prices are going in reverse again, you get no more hardware than a reasonable mid range phone or tablet for the price of a really good laptop...I thought the netbook thing was the right direction, but apparently now that's the chromebook space and those are 10" and over....
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2019-06-25 12:52 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Got my GPD MicroPC last Friday. Dual-booting is working, Xubuntu 18.04 hums very nicely. Keyboard better than I anticipated, but it ain't no J720.

Jake
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2019-06-25 2:21 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

I ordered a flashair and cf to pcmcia card adapter...not lets see what evil I can create...ooooh ha ha!

Edited by joval 2019-06-25 2:23 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-06-25 9:04 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

joval - 2019-06-25 2:21 AM

I ordered a flashair and cf to pcmcia card adapter...not lets see what evil I can create...ooooh ha ha!

If you're interested in writing a formal review of that for the reviews section, I'd be interested to read it!
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2019-07-04 1:02 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

The flashAir and sd to cf card adapter just arrived...so give me some time and I will write up something...how formal is formal...are there guidelines for that??? Well, you can be the judge. No rotten tomatoes please, but thanks for the carrot.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-07-04 10:04 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

There is indeed:
https://www.hpcfactor.com/info/help/content/contribute/reviews/guide...

The main thing I encourage people to take away is a reminder that they are writing a review, not making a picture book and to try to avoid sounding like a blog post.
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2019-07-04 1:27 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Great...that should help. I'll check it out...here's a first impression on FlashAir:

[Ok, finally got the FlashAir to work...had to reformat it from exFat 64 GB to 2 drives of Fat32 of 32 GB each. Both show up as hard disks on the MP900c using an sd card to usb adapter (because the sd to cf adapter I received is for a type 2 cf card is too big, need type 1 adapter...will return it for type1 card and then trial on the J720.

But this is great, just type note and its available on my windows pc browser when saved to the flashair drive on the MP900c...here lets see...just copy and paste here on the forum....done!]
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2019-07-04 8:13 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Pity this thing had to be Android-based with a MediaTek chipset, I would have liked a design based around a more open SBC (e.g Pine64) so I could shove whatever I wanted on it.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2019-07-04 9:23 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Android on the Gemini is not bad. You can do the full screen/no-status-bars stuff and produce magnificent real estate for TextMaker, HandBase, etc and the machine does work as a true phone, given the caveat of its clam-shell format.

My wife despises it, another bonus, since she's never using it

Jake

Edited by Jake 2019-07-04 9:24 PM
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 12