x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

The Nokia E7

HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2017-12-10 9:29 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I fell in love with Nokia Communicator's when I first laid eyes on the Nokia 9000. It took me on a journey where I've owned every single one all the way up to the E7. While the E7 wasn't officially named a Communicator, in every intent and purpose it was. Fold out keyboard, business orientated, flagship, the E7 had it all. Most importantly, it was a great phone.

Unfortunately, Nokia saw it fit to sell their phone business to Microsoft which butchered the brand. Microsoft wanted to push their new Windows Mobile OS on the phone, instead of carrying on Nokia's work with Symbian (which was derived from the EPOC OS, i.e. Psion handhelds).

What's done is done, and we're now all floating in a sea of phablets and tablets without any uniqueness. Reminiscing of my E7 and Symbian Belle, I decided to do a little Googling and found a custom firmware called "E7 Delight" (Link) From what the page says, it's an improvement in many regards. For example, more memory on the phone and less RAM used. The links are all active, as are the downloads.

I'd love to give this ago, and thought I'd post it here in case any of you are still using the E7. If anyone has any info on other custom firmwares, I'd love to hear about them.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2017-12-11 5:01 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I just retired my E7 last week (went for a BlackBerry Priv). I did flash to Delight and even hacked the ROM's character map to put in custom syntax--I may have the only tab key in the history of the E7

I liked Delight very much, and there's no better keyboard than the E7's. Obviously, there're software shortages and occasional lock-ups that call for a restart, but I used Delight for over two years, so it can be done.

Jake

Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2017-12-11 7:11 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Thanks the chime in Jake, glad to hear of a real world use that's worked out. Now that Nokia is back making phones without Microsoft, perhaps we'll see a Nokia E7 like device released with Android?
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2017-12-11 7:37 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Boy, that would be nice, but over at the crackberry forum, there's gloom-n-doom about the future of physical kb's. Looks like BlackBerry is pulling the plug on all their phones, both Android and their proprietary OS.

I like the Priv, even though my new one appears to be promptly discontinued (Marshmallow only; the BB's own security updates were missing in November and nothing in December so far). I always get to these parties late, so I'm not too frantic.

The Priv's pkb is fine, but it ain't no E7. Still, using the slider, you have amazing screen room for text. For documents, the Priv's prolly the biggest phone out there.

Jake

Edited by Jake 2017-12-11 7:39 PM
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2017-12-11 10:26 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

The Passport is my absolute favorite BB phone. I'm so sick and tired of slabs everywhere.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 9