x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Difficult to install linux on Jornada 728

marcmira Page Icon Posted 2018-01-05 12:51 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello everyone!

Im trying to install linux on my 728 jornada and dont know whats wrong

Following that page:
http://www.lowlevel.cz/log/pivot/entry.php?id=41

Using a mini sd with 8GB, and a sd-cf adaptor like that: sdcf adaptor

Im using ubuntu, 14.04, partitionate disc in two: 100mb to FAT partition and rest to ext2.
In Fat partition linexec, initrd vmlinuz, image opie , modules uncropessed on ext2 partition

when start linexec, the screen turns black and a cursor blinking ad eternum.

i m lost , what happened ?

tks a lot for attention

Top of the page
Dave Wurm Page Icon Posted 2018-01-05 7:23 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hi marcmira,

Awhile back, I successfully installed Jlime linux on my J-728, using the files and instructions at:

http://www.acetolyne.net/Projects/node/17

The package includes kernel and a lot of pre-configured software.

I don't know how this version of Jlime compares with others.

I added some selected software from the Jlime repository (hosted at hpcfactor.com). However, be aware that ipkg installation works much better from the terminal, than from the Jlime GUI software manager.

I hope that helps,
Dave

Edited by Dave Wurm 2018-01-05 7:29 PM
 Top of the page
marcmira Page Icon Posted 2018-01-08 10:29 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Dave, first thank you for link.

I tried and not advance. That tutorial is more difficult ( for me), and i ? very lost.

partitioned sd in 3

10 mb bootable
100mb swap
rest ext2 (my card has 8GB)

Download 5 files, ok

from here i m confused

What files stay in partition swap, bootable and ext2 ?

Top of the page
Dave Wurm Page Icon Posted 2018-01-09 1:24 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

I also was confused by the intructions at http://www.acetolyne.net/Projects/node/17

The confusion was partly because I was very new to Linux... (I learned a few things, since then... but I've probably forgotten at least that much.)
...and partly because the instructions may have some errors.

On the Linux computer that I used to setup the JLime CF card, I had to put "sudo" at the beginning of several of the command lines.
Some of the command line examples may have small errors. Somehow, I stumbled on the right thing to do... I'm sorry that I did not keep a record of changes that I may have made.
Of course, you have to keep track of which partition you are working with (sda, sdb, sdc, sdc-1, sdc-2, etc.)

I setup JLime, on a 1 GB CF card, which was formatted as follows:
- Fat16 - 10 MB
- ext 2 - 873 MB
- linux-swap - 123 MB

After the installation is complete,
The Fat16 partition contains: jlinexec.exe, params.txt, zimage
The ext2 partition contains the following directories: bin, boot, dev, etc, home, lib, lost+found, media, mnt, opt, proc, sbin, sys, temp, tmp, usr, var, zimage
and one file: icewm-image-Mongo-08.07.08.tar (This file probably can be deleted.)
These directories are created as you follow the instructions, to decompress and install. Otherwise, you will just have the 5 downloaded files.

After getting JLime to work on the 1 MB CF card, I copied the contents of these partitions to an 8 GB CF card, which is formatted:
- Fat16 - 4 GB
- ext 2 - 3.9 GB
- linux-swap - 100 MB (numbers are approximate)

On the 8 GB CF, the Fat16 partition also includes my Windows CE directories, including the Win CE backup file. This makes it easy to go back to WinCE. I like some of my WinCE programs better than the comparable Linux programs.

If you are looking for better internet browsers, you may be disappointed with what is available for JLime. However, JLime works well with SSH.

In some forum posts, I have read that JLime does not run on certain CF cards. Somewhere there is a list of CF cards that are known to work. My 1GB CF card is by SimpleTech. The 8GB CF card is generic (no known brand). The 8GB card is noticeably slower, for transferring files on my computer, but it seems to run JLime about as well as the 1GB card does.

Also, at least one forum post suggests that JLime may not work with an SD card and adapter. See http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=13323&po...

Edited by Dave Wurm 2018-01-09 1:36 AM
 Top of the page
marcmira Page Icon Posted 2018-05-02 7:21 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Dave Wurm - 2018-01-08 8:24 PM

I also was confused by the intructions at http://www.acetolyne.net/Projects/node/17

The confusion was partly because I was very new to Linux... (I learned a few things, since then... but I've probably forgotten at least that much.)
...and partly because the instructions may have some errors.

On the Linux computer that I used to setup the JLime CF card, I had to put "sudo" at the beginning of several of the command lines.
Some of the command line examples may have small errors. Somehow, I stumbled on the right thing to do... I'm sorry that I did not keep a record of changes that I may have made.
Of course, you have to keep track of which partition you are working with (sda, sdb, sdc, sdc-1, sdc-2, etc.)

I setup JLime, on a 1 GB CF card, which was formatted as follows:
- Fat16 - 10 MB
- ext 2 - 873 MB
- linux-swap - 123 MB

After the installation is complete,
The Fat16 partition contains: jlinexec.exe, params.txt, zimage
The ext2 partition contains the following directories: bin, boot, dev, etc, home, lib, lost+found, media, mnt, opt, proc, sbin, sys, temp, tmp, usr, var, zimage
and one file: icewm-image-Mongo-08.07.08.tar (This file probably can be deleted.)
These directories are created as you follow the instructions, to decompress and install. Otherwise, you will just have the 5 downloaded files.

After getting JLime to work on the 1 MB CF card, I copied the contents of these partitions to an 8 GB CF card, which is formatted:
- Fat16 - 4 GB
- ext 2 - 3.9 GB
- linux-swap - 100 MB (numbers are approximate)

On the 8 GB CF, the Fat16 partition also includes my Windows CE directories, including the Win CE backup file. This makes it easy to go back to WinCE. I like some of my WinCE programs better than the comparable Linux programs.

If you are looking for better internet browsers, you may be disappointed with what is available for JLime. However, JLime works well with SSH.

In some forum posts, I have read that JLime does not run on certain CF cards. Somewhere there is a list of CF cards that are known to work. My 1GB CF card is by SimpleTech. The 8GB CF card is generic (no known brand). The 8GB card is noticeably slower, for transferring files on my computer, but it seems to run JLime about as well as the 1GB card does.

Also, at least one forum post suggests that JLime may not work with an SD card and adapter. See http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=13323&po...

I will try again, round 3, later i comment that works. buy a cf card and test again.,

TY
 Top of the page
marcmira Page Icon Posted 2018-10-04 4:32 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

First, thanks for all, to see, read and answer,

Later i will buy a entire CF card and test, 4 or 8GB from kingston, sandisk, not a pseudocard in adaptor's skin, i was trying to help a friend booting a windows in flashdrive, and the adapter not boot, when find a pendrive, works fine, thats a clue for what happening in my case

When have in hands a cf card i will post to sey works hooray or, have some doubts

see ya
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2018-10-07 6:09 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I used a really expensive SD <-> CF adapter ($42.00 ish?) made by Hagiwara Syscom to install NetBSD on my Sigmarion I.
It worked flawlessly in my case.

I happen to have a J690 (JP ver.) in bad shape which I will experiment once I get the right adapter for it.

-stingraze

Edited by stingraze 2018-10-07 6:09 PM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.160 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 10