x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

hp 360lx serial communication hyperterminal

1 2 3
Pocketpcj Page Icon Posted 2018-01-25 9:27 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello. I am new to this forum and to HP palmtops. I enjoy using "vintage" tech but i am having some trouble using the hp 360lx to communicate with a serial port for some equipment. I have an old windows 98 desktop with hyperterminal that i use to set up equipment on a workbench. I send the equipment simple ASCII commands and get a response. I have read up as much as i can google to find the hp 360lx "should" be able to do the same. I found one on ebay and attempted to talk to the same equipment but i cannot figure out how to get the 360lx terminal set up like hyperterminal. I tried to install 24Term and one other serial terminal but they do not work with the 360lx. I read on one website that someone used an HP 200lx to talk to a CNC machine but there was not too much detail on how the terminal was set up. Can anyone tell me if what i want to do is possible? If so can i get some guidance as to set up the port? If i can get this to work on the 360lx i do not need to drag around a desktop or laptop. I have tried serial port adapters for android tablets but the terminal software does not do what i need it to do like hyperterminal. Thanks.
 Top of the page
smb_gaiden Page Icon Posted 2018-01-26 4:16 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

After remembering someone asking similar, came across this http://www.cambridgevx.com/vxhpc.html which may suit your need. And link from this site which was discussing it and still living in my deepest memory banks is here: http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=10647

Wow, ten years goes by like nothing happened!
 Top of the page
Pocketpcj Page Icon Posted 2018-01-26 1:41 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

hello. thanks for the response. i will have to try it out. The time does fly but these older equipment last forever. Very few people will take the time to learn to use them. i was searching more last night and it seems like the 360lx does not communicate with rs232 out of the box as a windows 98 machine will. what about a psion series 5 or 7? i came across that device last night.
 Top of the page
Pocketpcj Page Icon Posted 2018-01-26 11:50 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello, I downloaded and tried to install vxhpc with the auto installer and by copying the CAB folder to the 360lx and both times it said that vxhpc is not compatible. I am thinking I bought the wrong version of laptop for what I want to do. Maybe I need the hp 660lx or the Psion. All I want is a handled device to talk with rs232.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2018-01-27 9:03 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Pocketpcj - 2018-01-26 1:41 PM

hello. thanks for the response. i will have to try it out. The time does fly but these older equipment last forever. Very few people will take the time to learn to use them. i was searching more last night and it seems like the 360lx does not communicate with rs232 out of the box as a windows 98 machine will. what about a psion series 5 or 7? i came across that device last night.
What issue are you experiencing? It's certainly wired to use it, but it's possible that the ActiveSync provider is hogging the port.
 Top of the page
Pocketpcj Page Icon Posted 2018-01-27 1:40 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello c:Amie. I am not familar with the 360lx terminal as opposed to hyperterminal. I first tried to make a connection as the 360lx asked for a phone number. I dug around a bit and found the direct connection icon. That let me select the baud rate, stop bit, etc. When I try to connect to the serial port on the test device the 360lx acts like it is dialing out. I have tried different cables and the couple different settings on the 360lx. The vxhpc software that smb_gaiden suggested is what I would like to use. I just need a simple serial terminal, like hyperterminal, to send Ascii characters to equipment for setup and troubleshooting. I thought it would be cool to use some vintage tech. Thanks for the help.
 Top of the page
smb_gaiden Page Icon Posted 2018-01-27 7:14 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Unsure if this is an option, but prolific makes a serial driver for android. So if your device has USB Host or USB OTG support, than your BOM is:
- USB to serial cable by prolific
- MicroUSB Male or USB Type C Male to USB Type A female
- Software
 Top of the page
Pocketpcj Page Icon Posted 2018-01-27 8:08 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello smb_gaiden. I have tried several Android terminal apps but none support the settings I need like hyperterminal. Thanks. Maybe a up 660lx will work or something with ce 4 or above? What devices run that version of or with rs232?
 Top of the page
Pocketpcj Page Icon Posted 2018-01-29 8:29 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Well, i am throwing in the towel. I have tried SeialComm, VXhPC, 24Term, Mobterm, TelNet, PocketTelnet, and 2 others. Either they install and then say it will not work or they will not install on the HP 360lx. If someone has another solution please let me know. Otherwise will drag around the windows 98 desktop on a cart. Thank you.
 Top of the page
Dave Wurm Page Icon Posted 2018-01-30 4:49 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hi pocketpcj,
I am not at all familiar with the 360lx... and it sounds like you have already taken a beating trying to make RS232 work from the device. But here is a post that may or may not be helpful http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1586&pos...

I use pocketDOS on a Jornada 720. It works nicely. But I have never attempted to use RS232 or serial output, except with MS ActiveSync. I believe pocketDOS allows a free trial period, but then you must register for a small price.

Edited by Dave Wurm 2018-01-30 4:52 AM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2018-01-30 1:06 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
http://www.hpcfactor.com/reviews/editorial/on-the-road/

I doubt this will help, since it doesn't sound as though your equipment would have something as arcane as a dial-up modem.

Jake
 Top of the page
Pocketpcj Page Icon Posted 2018-01-30 4:59 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello Dave. (I can't type that without thinking about HAL) hello Jake. I will try pocket dos. The 360lx does not have a phone jack, just the hp serial and IR port. I have seen videos of the hp 95lx connect to rs232 for text transfer. I am looking into a jornada 720. The newer CE might run the above mentioned terminal programs.
Thanks for your suggestions.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2018-01-30 7:01 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Pocketpcj - 2018-01-30 8:59 AM

Hello Dave. (I can't type that without thinking about HAL) The 360lx does not have a phone jack, just the hp serial and IR port.

So the correct response would've been, "I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2018-01-30 9:25 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I suppose you could get a pc card modem if you think you could connect on the other end via phone jack. Remember that for hyperterminal, 56K-to-56K will not connect. The modem on the H/PC side has to have a lower baud rate.

Jake
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2018-02-01 4:05 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I'm late posting but…no software is going to work onless your cable cross overs pins 2 and 3…
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 54 - Executed queries : 27