x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

hp 360lx serial communication hyperterminal

1 2 3
Pocketpcj Page Icon Posted 2018-02-01 9:30 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello rich. The cable is the easy part. I cannot get the above mentioed software to load or use the pre loaded communication terminal to communicate with rs232. I have tried to load pocket DOS, free Dos, and Caldera but the terminal comm program is only available with purchase for $47. I cannot pay that since I paid about the same for the 360lx. Maybe I am doing something wrong. I have read of people connecting the 360lx and the 95lx to scientific equipment with the db9 plug and using terminal to read back info or change parameters. If not then I will use what I have. I also see that the Tandy 102 has a simple terminal program with a built in rs232 port......
Thanks for the help.
 Top of the page
Dave Wurm Page Icon Posted 2018-02-02 3:01 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hi Pocketpcj,

On my Jornada 720, I run some DOS programs that were designed for 386 and 486 computers, under pocketDOS. I have never attempted interfacing via RS232.

However, if you have pocketDOS (or one of the other DOS emulators that work under WinCE), you should be able to run most DOS terminal programs. (You probably don't need the $47 terminal comm program offered by pocketDOS.)

Although I don't have experience with it, I have read favorable reviews about a free DOS Terminal program called Kermit. Here are two links with info and downloads.
http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/mskermit.html
http://www.resoo.org/docs/dos/free_software/comm1.htm#term
 Top of the page
Pocketpcj Page Icon Posted 2018-02-02 6:31 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thank you Dave. I will check them out. For now i have started over. i did a hard reset on my 360lx and tried to connect it to a laptop with hyperterminal running at the same settings, 9600, 8,1,NONE. I am using a straight thru cable. When i plug in the 360lx and go to communication i have a direct link comm set up. i double click on my setup and then on the laptop i see the word CLIENT pop up. the 360lx then closes the port and says could not communicate. I know this is kind of silly to use this device but now its become a learning tool and i dont want to give up. In this week i have also tried the Startech android app and cable but cannot get that to talk to hyperterminal or my equipment.
 Top of the page
smb_gaiden Page Icon Posted 2018-02-04 7:20 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

that CLIENT message is the activesync protocol. like admin said, it's probably hogging the port on your device.

I forgot the ce methods to manage processes, but two things id try:

kill the process or service
write a stub app asking for read write access too the port on a shared mode and print return value and if applicable return of GetLastError.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2018-02-05 8:40 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I honestly cannot recall the registry structure but on newer devices you could disable ActiveSync auto connect via HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Comm by setting AutoCnct to 0 and rebooting
 Top of the page
Pocketpcj Page Icon Posted 2018-02-06 9:02 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

This is good stuff. If I go to the control panel _ communication, can I disable the auto connect from there?
 Top of the page
Pocketpcj Page Icon Posted 2018-02-07 6:19 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I have tried to connect to a laptop with the terminal connection program and the auto connect disabled. On my laptop i now see "ATZ" show up then the connection times out. Am i supposed to give a response? How would this work if i connect to a piece of equipment? In parallel i am going to install freedos and Kermit.
 Top of the page
smb_gaiden Page Icon Posted 2018-02-07 8:19 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

That command looks like another software has taken control of the serial port OR the software you ran expects to be talking over modem.

ATZ is the Hayes AT command for reset.

EDIT: Wait two seconds and try to send back: ATZ OK

Edited by smb_gaiden 2018-02-07 8:21 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2018-02-08 6:05 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

You shouldn't even need a program. I would think you could just redirect your data to the serial port. For instance, supposed you had a command you would give repeatedly, such as > echo this is a test

And then you saved that as a text file name test.txt. You could dump it to the serial port with something like: copy (0r type) test.txt > ser:

Not sure how that works in the old HPCExplorer, but I remember doing something similar using Ruskin's Shell Force long ago back in the CE1 or CE2 days with my old Mobilepro 450...I think.

Hell, it's been so long ago that I can't remember anything these days. Not to change or hijack the thread but we're talking nearly 20 years ago...
 Top of the page
Pocketpcj Page Icon Posted 2018-02-11 3:51 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello and thanks for the suggestion of what to respond to atz. I will try that. I was hoping to not need another program to do simple terminal communication. The 360lx is a handy compact device that I was hoping to use for simple terminal emulator.
 Top of the page
Pocketpcj Page Icon Posted 2018-02-12 3:14 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

hello all. i have some good news and then more questions. with your help i was able to get the 360lx pre loaded terminal program to talk to a computer by answering the ATZ call with OK 3 times. I then had a terminal window pop up and as i typed on the 360lx the letters showed up on my compter and vice versa. I also read up on Kermit and was able to install pocket / freedos and kermit. After typing several commands lines to set up the communication parameters i was also able to see what i typed on the compter and the 360lx. the preinstalled terminal will not work if i have it sends the ATZ because the lab equipment will not answer. Now, questions. I tried to talk to the lab equipment i have but since the letters show up as i type and not as a "packet" for example i need to send a string of numbers " 05 01" and a <CR> to get a response from the lab equipment. The terminal emulators send a character as i type it and i get no response. If i use a PC with YAT (Yet Another Terminal) Emulator i can send a packet and get the response i need. And yes i have tried a straight thru and null modem cable. tahnks for your help.
 Top of the page
Dave Wurm Page Icon Posted 2018-02-13 3:03 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hi pocketpcj,
Again, I have no experience with using Kermit. But you may be able to find answers at http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ftp/protocol/kuser.pdf
This manual starts off with a discussion of configuring packets.
 Top of the page
Pocketpcj Page Icon Posted 2018-02-17 4:45 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hey All, the above link looks like this will work. I tried to talk to other lab equipment and the freedos / kermit combo work on others except one that wants to see a string sent such as "05 01 00". Those number sets are codes that send back status and config settings. Thanks for all your help.
 Top of the page
SirThoreth Page Icon Posted 2019-03-01 5:26 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Rich Hawley - 2018-01-31 8:05 PM

I'm late posting but…no software is going to work onless your cable cross overs pins 2 and 3…

I'm really late to the party, but wouldn't that just be a null modem adaptor?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-03-01 8:57 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

SirThoreth - 2019-03-01 5:26 AM

Rich Hawley - 2018-01-31 8:05 PM

I'm late posting but…no software is going to work onless your cable cross overs pins 2 and 3…

I'm really late to the party, but wouldn't that just be a null modem adaptor?

Yes.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.343 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 11