x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

stunning little hpc-esk laptop

1 2
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2018-03-05 4:20 PM
#
H/PC Elder

What a lovely looking wee thing. Magnesium alloy case and everything. Wonder if they will also try an always connected win on arm version. Actually seriously considering keeping eyes open for a s/h one at some point down line.

https://m.windowscentral.com/gpd-pocket-review
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2018-03-05 4:30 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I have a 2nd gen Pocket and like it very much. Good forum at reddit that will give an unvarnished view of its attributes and drawbacks.

Jake
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2018-03-05 5:21 PM
#
H/PC Elder

So apart from the GPD Pocket and guess the Vaio p did anything else fill the hpc form factor with a good keyboard?
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2018-03-05 5:48 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

The only time I've played with an Atom processor, was around 2008 with Netbooks. It left a vile taste in my mouth. I was fortunate enough to get to toy around with a Surface tablet which ran an Atom processor and was literally blown away with how the Atom has changed. I'm curious as to why Sony hasn't done anything with the Vaio P. A new Vaio P with the new Atom processors would be something amazing. Throw a multi-touch touch screen into the mix and I think Sony would have a very nice product.

@Mr-Mac, good question. I'm trying hard to go through my memory, besides coming up with quite a few small form factor PC's with adequate keyboards, nothing stands out as good keyboards.
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2018-03-05 6:03 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Think this wee 7" pocket thing does have capacitive touch
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2018-03-05 6:04 PM
#
H/PC Elder

If you look at batt surface can achieve i am surprised sony ain't gone core i on a Vaio p design
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2018-03-05 6:05 PM
#
H/PC Elder

There was an AMD based one when i was last using hpc's so about 2009ish
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2018-03-05 7:32 PM
#
H/PC Elder

What's a 2nd gen pocket as can only see one version though they updated spec to 8gb and slightly better cpu before it came out iirc.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2018-03-05 8:00 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

1rst gen was the crowd-sourced Pocket. There were some heat issues and a couple of other hardware problems. Those were more-or-less addressed by the 2nd gen, though users often replace the thermal paste (I did not; my cpu temps are okay).

The keyboard is still a sore spot (temperamental space bar, weird delete key placement and other strange decisions). I remapped some keys and learned to live with the rest.
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2018-03-05 9:39 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Shame about the keyboard. Lovely looking little thing bit on a device that small keyboard has to be spot on
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2018-03-05 9:57 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Pickings are slim out there in the sub-laptop world. And what is life, if not a compromise?

Jake
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2018-03-05 10:03 PM
#
H/PC Elder

True but point of hpc's and sub laptops not being a tablet is for 1 think only... Typing! So can accept other compromises but feel the keyboard has to be right.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2018-03-06 6:42 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Not a bad price.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2018-03-06 8:52 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

I wish Sony still made laptops and made one in this size.

Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2018-03-06 11:07 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I agree,

Sony made some stunning bits of hardware. Lenovo also had a stunning prototype for a subnotebook with letterbox screen. Reckon that's the ideal formfactor cos you get a good width of screen but loose having to the 4:3 shape and space where trackpad sits.

Thinks like wistron p-book were similar size and again something that would interest me.

Even an arm chrome book in this form factor i can turn to arm linux would be cool but all seem to be std laptop shape.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.204 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 8