x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

NEC MobilePro 900c - Screen replacement?

HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2018-04-05 8:13 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I'm just curious, do you think it would be possible to find a more updated screen for the device? I'm thinking same resolution and color output, just something that's not a DSTN?

I'm almost blind in my right eye which makes viewing DSTN's with their backlights headache inducing. One reason why my 900 hasn't seen too much action. I've seen some HVGA 640x240 screens online but always at 6.1 inches. Plus, not sure if the connectors will even work or if the driver on the MP900 would even support it. I'm just tossing this out there in case someone else has researched it.

*Edit*
And these are displays without a touch screen. I was hoping that there'd by some chance be a "drop in" replacement that could use the existing digitizer / drivers and connection.

Edited by HPC:Fan 2018-04-05 8:14 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2018-04-05 9:22 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I have extensively researched this… wrote the NEC engineers in Taiwan even. The screen was a custom order made by Sharp for NEC. A couple production years the screens were made by Phillips too. Sharp LM8M64 was the last model used in the 900 series.

I would have been happy to even find a TFT screen with the same resolution… but no such luck. I did once have an open MP800 and using a mess of jumper wires, I fed the output video from my MP900 to the 800 screen. I thought I would have to change registry values to support the larger lcd… but amazingly I didn't. It displayed full 800x600. Still I really gained nothing as you just buy a Psion Netbook Pro and have the same thing. Plus I was powering the exciter board through the 800 as the voltages are different on the 900.

I thought of using a smaller screen… but why? I want more, not less. I even considered gutting an old 900 and putting the guts from an iPaq hx4700 in it which is native 640x480 and WM6 OS.

And as you say, the simple thing is to simply use the existing digitizer. However, I have sucessfully used a USB digitzer with the 900C, not 900.

I finally decided that any mod would simply not be cost effective or possible… .
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2018-04-05 11:46 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

See, I wouldn't mind a smaller screen as long as that screen wasn't DSTN. But you think a Psion NetBook Pro is the answer? If that's the case, I might try to find one sometime down the line. I had the old NetBook which ran EPOC and loved it (except for the annoying ribbon cable). As it stands, I use my Psion 5 to write while on the go when I don't want to lug anything bigger with me. But I got the MP900 years ago now and have hardly used it.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 8