x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

HP 360LX Wifi & Program Downloading

CocaCola1212 Page Icon Posted 2018-04-26 7:46 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

So, recently I came across an HP 360lx, and I bought it. When I got it, I wanted to know whether or not I could install wifi on it. From what I gathered I would need a CF card to load the Windows CE Service pack onto & a special wifi card for it. I don't know whether I should buy these items, if I should really use the internet on it at all, or any of your thoughts on the subject. Let me know what anybody thinks.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2018-04-27 8:21 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The 360lx is a great device, I cut my teeth here on them, but you have to keep in mind that it is a 1997 device with a 1998 ROM chip in it. Its abilities are extremely limited. It is possible to get them on WiFi, but the most you'll ever achieve is WEP128 encryption or have to use Open Wireless and the Web Browser does not support SSL and is HTML 3.2 compatible only, meaning that you will likely struggle to do much with it in 2018.

If you want to play, go to eBay and get a second hand 512MB CF card and a compatible WiFi (See the Hardware Compatibility List in the support section), only spend a few £/$ on it and have a play, but don't spend any serious money on it buying new.
 Top of the page
CocaCola1212 Page Icon Posted 2018-04-29 11:37 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks! Just a question, can I E-Mail with wifi? I wish to use the E-Mail function, but I don't have any sort of "Email Service". Is there any other way I could use the E-Mail function, such as using the wifi card? I'm really new to the whole handheld PC thing. Thanks!
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2018-04-30 3:05 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

You can CocaCola, but it's not as easy as it is on say, a smartphone. You'll have to download a program for it like nPopUK and set up your Gmail account (or whatever service you use) manually. The built in email client won't work with modern email providers unfortunately.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2018-04-30 1:23 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Yes, if you have access to an unencrypted POP3 service, you can use the email. Other modern protocols or encrypted protocols won't work.
 Top of the page
CocaCola1212 Page Icon Posted 2018-05-06 3:05 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

So, if I were to buy an old 512mb CF card and a Orinoco wifi card, I would be all set. I use the CF card to install nPopuk, then the Windows CE Service Pack for Wifi, connect to my home wifi, and then use nPOPuk to send and recieve e-mails. Can I do this? Just before I buy these items, I want to make sure, sorry to bother you.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2018-05-12 11:32 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If you're happy with the wireless security issues and have a compatible mail service, then yes. In essence.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 9