x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Android P

1 2
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2018-05-19 4:27 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

A Dell huh? Those things are usually built like tanks and are great machines. I had an old Dimension something or another. i5 processor, 8GB ram, took falling off the rear of a pickup to break it. Even then, it worked. Just not the screen!

I hate how Android got bloated. Not just with Google apps I will NEVER use, but carrier bloat on top of that. I rooted my old Note 4 and am looking to do the same with my new Note.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2018-05-19 8:38 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I usually wind up installing OpenGApps Pico in the end because having the app store is useful. Not having GMail, Google+, Hangouts and the rest of the Google stuff is wonderful though. I do tend to keep Maps and for some reason YouTube on the device. I literally never use the latter mind.

My Lineage OS release don't have an Oreo build yet. That could be because of the age of the hardware or the dev is not interested, I'm not sure. As long as Nougat is getting patches, I'm perfectly happy.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2018-05-19 9:20 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I keep stock ROM on my phone, since I had this experience of putting Android 4.2.2 (Slim VJ 2.0). It was working pretty great, but it seems I have fried the motherboard. It sometimes decides to boot, but most of the time gets stuck on boot screen. I liked the OLED, although it is an ancient Android 2.2 device.

I've tried Android P emulator on the Android Studio, but not the real thing.
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2018-05-19 3:08 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I have an old Galaxy S5 I use as a 4G router. I get about 2 hours usage on 4G with it, standby up to a day before needing a recharge. I noticed that the apps would keep updating and thought to myself that there's no need to update it as long as 4G hotspot works. So I did a hard reset a couple of weeks ago and ended up disabling every google app and carrier bloatware. I suddenly got about seven hours of 4G usage out of it the day of testing. A major improvement. I wanted to see how long standby was now after removing all the bloat, but ended up forgetting about it. After six days, I remembered that I had put it in my nightstand so I pulled it out fully expecting a dead battery and that I'd have to do it again, but with the 4G hotspot on (but nothing connected) it had only gone down to about 63% battery! Now that surprised me.

So either this is some kind of fluke, or Google / carrier bloatware really ends up sucking the batteries juice.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2018-05-19 3:57 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Absolutely, they suck up your data and run a load of OEM / carrier telemetry services too

Have a look at https://download.lineageos.org/ You can have your 4G router, no Google and Weekly security patches
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 9