x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Surface Pro 3

HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2018-05-17 5:12 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Well, I was offered an exchange for my 2016 MBA and I took it. A near mint Surface Pro 3 (i5, 256GB) with Type cover and a Surface Pro 4 pen. I've had it since yesterday and did a refresh + update of Windows 10.

Pretty happy with the trade, especially since it was towards my cheapest of listings. Now I need to find out how to convert all my Mac formatted external harddrives to NTFS without losing my data. Any suggestions?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2018-05-17 8:19 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Paragon makes a convertor program that will do it… Mac to NTFS without data loss…
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2018-05-17 10:27 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Really? Fantastic, thanks for the heads up.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2018-05-18 8:21 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Or install the Mac file system driver.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-hfs-windows-driver-downlo...

They are read-only drivers though, but that might be good enough to allow you to do a data shuffle.

If there is any risk of you going back to Mac or needing interoperability, it might be worth going with ExFAT instead of NTFS.
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2018-05-18 9:18 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Very helpful advice C:Amie. Thank you for the link, that's going in my "must have" utility folder. ExFAT, will that have any file transfer limits? I have a 24 inch iMac, but I already have the NTFS drivers from Paragon which have worked well when moving between NTFS and HFS.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2018-05-19 5:35 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

HPC:Fan - 2018-05-17 9:12 AM

Well, I was offered an exchange for my 2016 MBA and I took it.

For a moment there I thought you were saying you gave up a recently-earned college degree for a tablet.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2018-05-19 8:54 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

ExFAT (a Windows CE 6.0 innovation, true fact!) has 3m files per directory, 128PB volumes and 128PB max file size. It doesn't support permissions like NTFS does though and is not Journaled. So not as robust in numbers or features as NTFS is.

ExFAT works with Vista SP2+ and there are updates to add support to XP and 2003.

If you already have NTFS support for Mac and don't need portability to other Mac devices outside of your sphere (and are confident that paragon will still work under OS X 10.14, 15, 16...) then I'd stick with it.

Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2018-05-19 3:12 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Hah, that'd be a nice trade CE Geek! In this case though, MBA means MacBook Air.

C:Amie, I did not know that. You learn something new everyday on this forum, I swear. Paragon has been working flawlessly with High Sierra so far. I'm sure it'll end up breaking sometime but Paragon seems to do a good job at fixing it. Not to mention, I have two 32GB thumbdrives if I need to move files around in a SHTF scenario.

So thanks for solidifying my belief that NTFS is what I should be going for.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.173 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 8