x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Dial up via payphone in 2018?

stingraze Page Icon Posted 2018-06-22 3:50 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Hi,

To all experts who use Handheld PCs, I have a question.
Is it possible to still use dial up connection to connect to the internet?

I am thinking of connecting to a very lightweight site via IE or telnet / ssh to a server.

If you have or had experience with this, I would appreciate any input.

Looking around my neighborhood, I still see payphone booths, and some with jacks.

-stingraze
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2018-06-22 12:21 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

There is no reason why a static POST system won't take dial-up. It's just an analog carrier propagated accross a voice circuit. Very simple. As long as the digital phone system that it's going over doesn't out of sequence the packets it'll be fine. It poses the question in my mind as to whether you could run an analog modem over a skype call

Finding a dial-up ISP might be more of a challenge mind!

You could always setup your own ISP on your landline and dial into home. You just need a modem and PPP connection provider and then a router port to move the data between your home network and the dial-in.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2018-06-22 12:59 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Thank you very much!

I think I will study network related things more, especially PPP as you mentioned.
Is it the case that if I can bridge my FTTH connection and a dial connection / Voice over IP I can make my simple ISP?

Update: I searched online, and some keywords I found were dial on demand and NAT. I am sort of familiar with NAT, I did those settings when I was using ADSL modem years ago to host my server with Sigmarion 1. Now, dial on demand, no... I have to be careful of security stuff, haha.

Oh yes, speaking of phone booths, there are quite a bit of ISDN ones in certain places. I think I'll look into that old tech.

Edited by stingraze 2018-06-22 1:57 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2018-06-22 8:45 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

PPP presents rudimentary PAP or CHAP password authentication, virtually irellevant by modern standards, but good enough for a lot of ISPs still as the phone system is fairly secure point to point - you know if your home phone is ringing, disconnecting, ringing constantly with someone trying to hack it after all.

You can use NAT to do it, yes, but it's probably unecessary. You have NAT from your ISP to your broadband router, so all you need is a static route broadband router <-> modem. If you want to dial directly into the home LAN on the same IP address range as the home LAN, then it's a different question and you're making you life harder.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2018-06-22 9:42 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Thank you for the tip.

If I can somehow use a low powered device and leave it on 24 hours a day, maybe like Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ or something and make a router with Linux maybe it'll be cool. (with a USB dial up modem).

I will be experimenting with it. Maybe a regular static route broadbank router <-> modem will be better... Hmmm... Lot's of designing to do, I guess.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2018-06-22 11:11 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2018-06-22 11:24 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Yes, that's the sort of direction you need to follow
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2018-06-23 3:09 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Alrighty!
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2018-06-23 10:11 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

You know… I got curious and dialed up my local AOL number. It worked fine. I was able to connect at 56K and surf using IE6. But simple web pages took almost a minute each to load… Arrrgh… email was fine howevef and quick enough…
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2018-06-23 11:39 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Rich, thanks for posting about your experiment. Hmm... so all I have to do is find a phone-booth and use a 56k modem, I guess. And I need to either find a free ISP with dial up. I remember there was one somewhere in Japan, don't know if they exist still...
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 8