x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

The most usable handheld in 2018?

1 2 3 4
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2019-02-28 4:34 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Cool! I'll keep that in mind when my current tablet gives up the ghost.
 Top of the page
kultur Page Icon Posted 2019-03-01 1:59 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Between my Jornada 720, NEC MobilePro 900C and Psion Teklogix Netbook Pro I think the Netbook Pro is the most usable but the MobilePro has the best keyboard.
 Top of the page
H2OGuru Page Icon Posted 2019-03-01 2:59 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I liked my netbook pro but it developed a funky hinge and was awkward thereafter—so in the end, I did not find it a rugged and robust unit. Just my experience—no offense for fans

The Jornada 720/728 series just keeps working year after year. The size and performance make it my ultimate favorite and go to device year end and year out.

I like my mobilepro 900, but it mostly stays in and around the office.

I have also had some of the newer CE5 and 6 devices but ultimately return to the Jornada 728. Though I do also still carry and use my old HP200LX. Hard to beat a month or more on a couple of AAs and I still have several Lotus 123 spreadsheets from back in the 90s when I was still cool.

HG
 Top of the page
kultur Page Icon Posted 2019-03-01 6:37 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I bring my devices to take notes in university lectures or at meetings. One advantage is that professors who ban laptops are alright with it because they understand these devices cannot really be used to access the modern internet. Tonight the girl sitting next to me really liked my Netbook Pro and kept calling it cute.

I have large hands so the Jornada keyboard is pretty hard for me to type quickly with. I can type at basically full speed on the other two, although the space bar on the Netbook Pro is finnicky.
 Top of the page
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2019-03-01 5:01 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

H2OGuru - 2019-02-28 6:59 PM

I liked my netbook pro but it developed a funky hinge and was awkward thereafter—so in the end, I did not find it a rugged and robust unit. Just my experience—no offense for fans

The Jornada 720/728 series just keeps working year after year. The size and performance make it my ultimate favorite and go to device year end and year out.

I like my mobilepro 900, but it mostly stays in and around the office.

I have also had some of the newer CE5 and 6 devices but ultimately return to the Jornada 728. Though I do also still carry and use my old HP200LX. Hard to beat a month or more on a couple of AAs and I still have several Lotus 123 spreadsheets from back in the 90s when I was still cool.

HG

Guru, I'm curious what you use your Jornada for these days. I have a 720 and love it, though I'm torn between it and a Fire 7" tablet w/keyboard case. My work and personal calendars are synced to the Fire and my phone; I can't sync the 720, so have to enter everything manually. But the 720 is simpler, faster, and easier to use.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2019-03-02 1:17 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

kultur - 2019-02-28 10:37 PM

I bring my devices to take notes in university lectures or at meetings. One advantage is that professors who ban laptops are alright with it because they understand these devices cannot really be used to access the modern internet. Tonight the girl sitting next to me really liked my Netbook Pro and kept calling it cute.

Bet she'd say the Jornada is even cuter.

kultur - 2019-02-28 10:37 PM

I have large hands so the Jornada keyboard is pretty hard for me to type quickly with. I can type at basically full speed on the other two, although the space bar on the Netbook Pro is finnicky.

I have big hands too, but I learned how to tap the Jornada keys gingerly so just the fingertip is pressing on them. Admittedly, though, it's harder to touch-type that way.
 Top of the page
H2OGuru Page Icon Posted 2019-03-02 3:43 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I have Textmaker and so I can easily go back and fourth writing Word documents pretty seemlessly, at least when I start a document. I like the distraction free nature of the Jornada—ain’t never do anything on-line with it anymore.

It can play mp3 if I want to listen to music or podcast while I work. I’m a professor and the Jornada make really high quality recordings of my lectures that I convert from wave to mp3 and upload as audio podcasts.

I also still use in lab with Planmaker to record data and build spreadsheets that I can export to Excel and share with group.

If I need email, I have my phone.

That’s the main use these days. Easy to pull out and work if ali am waiting on wife or kids. I have tried android tablets with keyboards and the batteries never seem to last as long as the Jornada plus I have several spare Jornada batteries that still work well and having one on hand is easy.

I also use it to snag meeting notes—easier than paper for me. I do sometimes use it for task list but that is infrequent—sometimes to just get me out of a rut.

I have had one for a long time now (-2005) and can’t imagine not having one. I try newer stuff and always come back to the Jornada or the 200LX. Especially love them when I am trapped on a plane for a long flight. I get a lot of writing done.

Edited by H2OGuru 2019-03-02 3:45 AM
 Top of the page
macmee Page Icon Posted 2019-03-21 4:42 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I am so frustrated. Windows 10 on ARM has excited me so much because it enables Windows on tiny PDA and HPC type devices with all day battery life, just like Windows CE on the Jordana 720 and NEC 900C, etc!

But so far there haven't been any HPC sized Windows 10 ARM devices yet at all. We have seen the Miix and GPD Pocket which are really exciting, but can you imagine ARM versions of these?

an ARM version of the GPD Pocket would be SO SIMILAR to the Jordana 720 or NEC 900C. Identical size, ARM Windows portable machines.

I think we will go full circle here, but waiting for these devices to come out is very frustrating.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2019-03-21 9:40 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

It will be cool, esp. the battery life, but what about software? DIY porting perhaps? Or use web based apps?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-07-15 10:42 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

GPD have a new device, the GPD P2 Max

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gpd-p2-max-the-world-s-smallest-u...

Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2019-07-16 1:52 AM
#
H/PC Elite

stingraze - 2019-03-21 4:40 AM

It will be cool, esp. the battery life, but what about software? DIY porting perhaps? Or use web based apps?

The ARM version of Windows 10 has a built in x86 emulator that can run original unmodified 32 bit x86 apps. There are a bunch of videos on YouTube from Microsoft showing this feature running Photoshop and some other cool x86 apps.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2019-07-17 12:10 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Really? Nice. I didn't know that.
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2019-07-17 11:49 PM
#
H/PC Elite

stingraze - 2019-07-16 7:10 PM

Really? Nice. I didn't know that.

It is pretty cool. Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSXUDKpkbx4

Also, this new GPD device seems amazing! I want one!!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-07-18 9:31 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I've already started trying to convince someone I know to get one (so I can have a look at it you understand).
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 11