x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Windows CE based portables for blind absent from site

NH4012 Page Icon Posted 2018-08-10 2:41 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I've been hunting for a driver for Ambicom 54G CF card for Windows CE 6 for use in a Freedom Scientific PacMate Omni which is a specialized laptop for blind users. These were made in two versions, one with a Perkins Braille keyboard and optional Braille display and one with a QWERTY keyboard and the same optional Braille display. I refurbish these machines and many other devices for use by blind individuals. The PacMate machines have only one option for connection to the Internet. It's via a CompactFlash wireless LAN plug in device. Several exist in the marketplace. The one recommended by Freedom Scientific is the Ambicon 54G. Freedom will NOT supply a driver for this device. Apparently, they install the driver when someone buys an Ambicom 54 from them (at a highly inflated price) but will not supply it to current users of their products who wish to buy the CF card elsewhere. When I looked at the list of all the computers listed at HPC:Factor, I found none of the computers specifically made for use by blind individuals. I did find a note about someone else seeking a driver for the Ambicon with an answer from another user, but the link he supplied is no longer usable and the Wayback machine doesn't have it either, so I'm stymied. I tried Abicom, but they have moved from hardware to software and no longer support any hardware products previously made. I suggest that you folks add Windows CE based computers for the blind to your list of supported machines and hope someone can direct me to a site where I can get a driver for the Ambicon 54G and/or Dell TrueMobile 1180 for Windows CE 6. (or some other inexpensive CF wireless LAN card) If I can find one, I'll pass it along to the blind community.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2018-08-11 7:32 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Try the WL54 CF CE 4.2 driver listed in the HCL (Hardware Compatibility List) on this website. It should work on your CE6 device though you may have to install it manually if the doesn't extract properly
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 42 - Executed queries : 26