x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Getting my 620lx online via wifi

jamesb420 Page Icon Posted 2018-08-21 4:50 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

This is what brought me here as I love this machine. I have a rangelan2 7400 wifi card with no driver. This effort of wifi is up to 20 hours or so already and rising. many say this card works with my unit and the drivers i found online (.exe ) file does not install after putting it on my CF card and clicking on it.
Ive now dowloaded 5 copies of windows SP1 and NSP1 wont install either.. the NSP did install finally i have no idea why but im told no wifi will work unless ive done the service pack 1
ALmost ready to buy a new one and gamble on it working.. Ill be reading this forum from start to finish if there is anyone who has a clue what my 620lx would like in order to have for WIFI and know where a driver is for it.. Ill send a little cash or merchandise for showing me the way.
Show me what you are using maybe and send me the driver for it.. Then ill buy that one lol Im asking alot i know.. Glad to be here Ill start my research on hpc factor.. thanks
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2018-08-21 11:01 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Those .exe files are for your computer and the 620LX can't read those. They're designed to be opened on your computer so that the activesync software can install them for you. You can extract the handheld readable files from them, but I'm not 100% sure on how to do that.

From what I gather online, it looks like the Agere drivers *might* work. Try downloading these cab's to your handheld and see: https://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/h/0031.asp

I'm sure someone more qualified will chime in.
 Top of the page
jamesb420 Page Icon Posted 2018-08-22 1:19 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thank you for your reply that was one of my theories. So the Wi-Fi drivers the Service Pack 1 and the networking Service Pack I'll get installed on my PC. Thank you I'm waiting for the goofy Cable in the mail right now with a serial to USB adapter 2 run on Windows XP
 Top of the page
jamesb420 Page Icon Posted 2018-08-22 1:22 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Do all software additions work this way? Games Etc
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2018-08-22 3:22 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Here's another angle to consider: when you do connect, you'll have to dumb-down your router's security to WEP.

And toggling back and forth b/w WEP and WPA2 is going to be a hassle with long waits for each process to finish.

You could try to do what I do: use an ethernet card (very cheap these days) and a wifi extender. Connect the card's ethernet cord to the ethernet jack of the extender. True, it's only as mobile as the availability of your wall sockets, but you keep the router security at a safe level, no toggling, and given the prevalence of WPA2, you wouldn't be able to take your device out of the house anyway, with a wifi card.

BROWSING on CE 2.0 is a whole other bag, but there are lo-fi ways to get text news.

Jake

Edited by Jake 2018-08-22 3:23 AM
 Top of the page
jamesb420 Page Icon Posted 2018-08-22 4:12 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks for the important advice probably saved me hours if not days. I also have a Cassiopeia and a few portfolios which are fun to do BBS with still. I love the old school but I also like the color screen I find it exponentially more enjoyable.
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2018-08-22 5:34 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Hey James, not all software works like that. Only those with .exe packages. If you download them as .cab files, those can be opened on your handheld.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2018-08-22 6:19 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Use H/PC:Update, the HCL and had a look through the articles in the support section (where there are guides explaining how to install software on H/PC's)
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2018-08-22 6:35 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

To be honest, I don't even like using WEP on an HPC. So many of the old driver packages do not specify, or make it difficult to use 40 bit, 64 bit, 128 bit encryption, passphrases, or hex key entry. And some are even case sensitive when entering them.

To me, the simplest thing is to buy an old 802.11B wifi router and plug it into your home wifi router without any encryption. This way you don't have to change/downgrade your WPA settings on your primary modem/router…affecting your smartphones, televisions, tablets, Roku devices… etc.

I just use an open signal when using my HPC and when I'm done I just turn the 802.11B router off.

Or if you have a newer modem, then you can set up a guest account on your primary router/modem with an unencrypted signal that can be turned on/off through the devices contol screen…you know the one I'm talking about…192.168.0.1
 Top of the page
jamesb420 Page Icon Posted 2018-09-01 2:21 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

thanks for the heads up.. Gotta wait on my 660lx to show up the 620 seems incapable of wifi without buying new chips and going 2.11 with it. i ordered some 3Com 3C589 etherlink cards and a 5 pak of dongles .. as well as recommended the mod with the sticky post. Bought 2 lots today and after breaking them up and reselling it fast and cheap ill double my money and get the free stuff i need. Gotta love those lots full of accessories. I even ended up with a printer for these gadgets.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 9