x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

installing windows ce 2.0 on xp desktop RAS error

1 2
jamesb420 Page Icon Posted 2018-08-31 3:37 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi, Im pushing my luck with this thing lol.. Got my serial to USB cable working. Trying to install windows 2.0 CE from cd onto my windows XP desktop. Im greeted during installation with the error message that it wants me to " remove RAS in my networking control panel. I think ive learned RAS is remote access service there is not a networking control panel in the control panel and ive followed a dozen advices to no avail.
ive turned it off turned it on in my computer and network services in control panel. .. no idea how to remove or uninstall it .. has anyone been thru this ? should i go buy a windows 98 laptop? There is no terminal services software in my remove software area... Arrrrhhhhhhggggg
620lx is my unit.. any advice?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2018-08-31 7:48 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

What do you mean, trying to install CE 2? I amassuming that you mean you are trying to install Windows CE Services from CD onto XP? If that's the case, download ActiveSync 3.8 from H/PC:Update on this site. CE Services isn't XP compatible, ActiveSync is the replacement.
 Top of the page
jamesb420 Page Icon Posted 2018-08-31 6:25 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

thanks that did the trick. I am syncing and have sp1 and nsp on my 620lx
Now its wifi card time or is it ? Im learning i need ce 2.11 at a minimum now.. which requires a new chip and ram install.. Probably extinct.. So ne2000 compatible ethernet it will have to be i suppose unless you guys know of any wifi cards that work on 2.0 ? I was hoping that sp1 would elevate me to 2.11 lol .. so much guessing in this game.. I keep guessing wrong and without you guys I would be lost and i own a computer hosting business lol.. sad
 Top of the page
jamesb420 Page Icon Posted 2018-08-31 6:43 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

It seems the cheapest route to the windows 2.11 computer is buying the hp660lx on Ebay $50 and losing the 620lx . If im learning correctly it has the proper chipset and will install 2.11 via a web download? Do i have the part correct ?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2018-09-01 12:33 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

And if you decide to buy a new handheld, then why not go for a Jornade 680 or 720… faster, better, more software…etc.
 Top of the page
jamesb420 Page Icon Posted 2018-09-01 1:37 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

TX ill try the jornada as well. Was I correct on the 660lx ability to handle ce2.11 ? Does it have the right chipset thingy ?
lol thanks I now have a 320lx, 2 620lx a 660lx 3 docking stations 3 hp sync cables and a casiopea a20 with cables and plugs its the backlight model.. oooooooo lol no more grayscale or portfolio i cant see a thing these days.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2018-09-01 7:10 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The OS is burned into the ROM chip in the 660LX, as it is with all CE 1.0 and 2.0 devices. The 660LX has a CE 2.0 ROM like the 620LX. Either one can only be upgraded to 2.11 by replacing the ROM chip with one with CE 2.11 that HP later produced specifically for those devices.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2018-09-01 12:35 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Look through the Hardware Compatibilty List on this site and the support section
 Top of the page
jamesb420 Page Icon Posted 2018-09-04 4:25 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

someone should update wikipidia lol says the 660lx does 2.0 or 2.11 and the hardware is slightly different.. making me think chips maybe.
on the 620lx it just says it does 2.0
Basicly wifi cards are impossible on these devices there is no 2.0 compatible wifi card.
a few are rumored but do not exist.. 2.x compatible means 2.11 not 2.0 in seemingly all cases of hope. there is no 2.0 driver
There are many articles on NSP and SP1 making it wifi capable.. All nonsense.
spread the word lol.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2018-09-04 11:35 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Back in the CE2.0 days, the wireless services were from network providers, all using a proprietory connection such as ARDIS, SkyTel, Metricom, etc. Even then it was limited to email primarily. Even to surf the web you were pretty much limited to a service that provided text in lieu of graphics due to the speed and processing power that the H/PCs didn't have.

One of the earliest attempts to link an H/PC with the web was the Novatel Contact. It was a wireless pcmcia radio that connected your CE2.0 unit to a 14.4 Kbps landline modem.

I was sure happy when Socket came out with their LP-E network card. Now I could really get on the internet for the first time. But it wasn't wireless. But it was great traveling back when in your hotel room they had an ethernet jack and had no idea what wireless was.

The first wifi card that I know of that supported CE2.0 was the Lucent Wavelan. But it never gained any popularity and was around only a very short time, using the older 802.11A protocol. Of course later on the company would become a mainstay with the Orinoco Silver card that is so great with H/PCs.

Even into the beginning of the year 2000, the only really functional wireless for CE2.0 was the Proxim Rangelan2 systems. It was so popular for business that they actually included the drivers for the cards in the operating systems of H/PC Pro.

Still, I remember that during that time period I was just changing over from dial-up AOL service to DSL and loving it. Wireless was still a year or so away for me at home. By the time your home wifi became a standard, H/PCs were already on their way out...sadly.

But you say that none work and I argue because I used to use a DWL650 with my old 360LX with CE2.0. And then my old Orinoco Silver card worked with the same machine and later with a 620LX.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2018-09-07 11:14 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

jamesb420 - 2018-09-04 4:25 PM

someone should update wikipidia lol says the 660lx does 2.0 or 2.11 and the hardware is slightly different.. making me think chips maybe.
on the 620lx it just says it does 2.0
Basicly wifi cards are impossible on these devices there is no 2.0 compatible wifi card.
a few are rumored but do not exist.. 2.x compatible means 2.11 not 2.0 in seemingly all cases of hope. there is no 2.0 driver
There are many articles on NSP and SP1 making it wifi capable.. All nonsense.
spread the word lol.

Actually, I take double exception to that. As the person who made the NSP, this site and wrote the articles you refer to, and who literally just suggested you look in the HCL. I can assure you it is possible to get WEP or Open
802.11b working.

The fact that getting hold of 1998 CE compatible hardware is difficult does not make the information wrong. The problem is no different to trying to find 802.11b support for Windows 95 in 2018. You won't get it in PC World.

So spread the word!

As to Wikipedia, the 660 had a chip replacement to change the ROM, so it is perfectly accurate. But it says that in the devices and specifications database and the support section

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2018-09-07 8:13 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Sometimes editing Wikipedia doesn't stick anyway. I see they removed my added section about extended backward compatibility last year from the article about the .NET Compact Framework.
 Top of the page
jamesb420 Page Icon Posted 2018-09-11 4:12 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

No not double exception lol You seem to be saying Yes you can do it..check the HPC and then saying "you can do it with the right hardware" In the mean time people who are dumb at this like me are buying these cool gadgets and trying to get them to work again fully. We are drawn to this website of yours.. Its awesome. For me adding the wording to the 620lx. 660lx and every other 2.0 model with this issue. ..... " upgrading to 2.11 is possible with an upgraded chip set" and " WIFI cards do not work without ce 2.11 which requires the hardware upgrade. that would of been helpful. I would of looked for these chips.. not found them and given up my plan early. Instead i bought a few wifi cards and a 660lx thinking i had the right info.. I did not. I have the Orinoco Silver. it only has a 2.11 driver available online. Labeled 2.x If it worked back in the day then I guess the driver maybe lost forever. I did visit the HPC and i hunted and searched out all possibles on the list. Chipset seems to be totally needed for wifi cards. Unless someone can name the exception to this rule my research stands.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2018-09-11 4:38 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

James, I think you meant HCL, not HPC.

Just click on the "support and tutorials" link atop this page then click on the "Hardware Compatibility List" link. Accept the disclaimer, then select the category of "Wireless Network Cards" and hit GO.

On page 5 you will see drivers for the Silver card for CE2, 2.11, 3, 4.2…
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2018-09-12 6:00 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The ORiNOCO Silver will work with CE 2.0 if it's the right version (the older Agere- or Lucent-branded ones). With CE 2.0, you use the driver for the Lucent WaveLAN card, which is also in the HCL.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9