x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Samsung Gear VR Powered By Oculus

Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2018-11-05 12:19 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

So, I have tried a lot of different VR devices in the past, and the first one way back in the late 90's called the Nintendo Virtual Boy . I was initially impressed by the experience I felt each time. The virtual boy ended up being really terrible! It caused terrible headaches so I was hesitant when the newer ones came out. That being said, the newer devices have been much better. When the Google cardboard came out in 2014 I tried it out and was really impressed that my phone could give me that kind of experience with nothing more than some cardboard and some magnifying lenses. For the last 4 years I have tried out 4 different real VR devices. Each one much better than the last because of having better focus, more comfortable, etc.... The most recent one I bought brand new from Walmart for $5.00 USD. It came with built in headphones. Wow, for $5.00 an amazing deal!

Well, yesterday I came across a brand new Samsung Gear VR powered by Oculus for only $2.00 at a thrift store. Brand new and never used for only $2.00. It just to happens that my phone (a Samsung Galaxy S7) works perfectly with it. The Samsung Gear VR systems only work with specific devices. Wow, it is night and day the difference. I am really impressed with the device. I have only used it for a short while but it has the ability to watch Netflix (yes, Netflix from my account), play games, watch videos, browse the internet, and much much more. It is powered from the phone itself, but also has a charging port to keep the battery strong.

The controls to help type and navigate are far superior to the other devices I have used. Like I said, I have not had it long, and once my daughter saw me with it, she basically tried to confiscate it from me. Anyway, I am happy with the $2.00 purchase and I will update with more later.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2018-11-05 11:35 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I've been wanting to try one of those vr things for a while now. You've encouraged me Scott...gonna go buy one...Walmart, here I come!
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2018-11-05 4:45 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Rich, please let me know what you think about it. Do a YouTube search for sbs or side by side video. Here is a short one to watch.SBS link
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2018-11-05 5:07 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I got a oculus go a few months ago, I enjoy it from time to time.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2018-11-06 2:44 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Guess what?

I went to Yurakucho (Tokyo, Japan) and bought a foldable AR / VR goggle.
I tested with my iPhone 6s, it worked well. I could take a video with it. lol

ELECOM: P-VR1G02BK

http://www2.elecom.co.jp/products/P-VR1G02BK.html

Edited by stingraze 2018-11-06 2:45 PM
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2018-11-07 2:55 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I have been playing around with the settings and now I can watch Netflix laying down. I installed YouTube and now can watch 360 videos. Still can't use it more than about 20 minutes. Can't see myself using it more than an hour at a time. Still cool to play around with! Will update later.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2018-11-07 8:52 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Why 20 minutes?
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2018-11-07 11:01 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Every time I put it on my daughter asks to play with it. I need to just take it to work and close my office door and just zone out one day.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2018-11-08 6:05 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Ah, the joys of parenthood . . .
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2018-11-10 4:16 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

CE Geek - 2018-11-08 3:05 PM

Ah, the joys of parenthood . . .

I need to get married soon. :-) lol
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2018-11-11 12:36 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Going back to subject, here in Kanagawa Japan, there is Oculus VR thingy by SAMSUNG for about $90 USD ish.

It has been that while for a while now (maybe like 2 years?)
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2018-11-27 12:48 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I was greatly inspired by this thread and some other things, and since I had found VUFINE+ in Nagoya, Japan's BICCAMERA (They accept BitCoin btw.) It is an one eyed Google Glass sort of thing, but not smart, only HDMI output)

I later bought it in Amazon.co.jp since I didn't have enough cash.

https://store.vufine.com/

I am testing it on my FUJITSU laptop with Core i5. It is working great so far, but I need to get used to viewing it.

Edited by stingraze 2018-11-27 12:49 AM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.177 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 9