x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine

Windows CE SDK Which version do I need for dev?
Moderators: chiark

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [15 messages per page]

Forums · General Discussion · Developers Arena

smb_gaiden
Posted 2018-12-10 6:38 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Member Nº:
forbidden64 - 2018-12-09 5:42 PM

Definitely a lot of stuff to sort through. I got my HC-4600 today. The battery components are yet to arrive. When then do, I can pry open the battery and solder everything together. I can't wait to turn it on! Initially, all I will have for data transfer is the IRda port. I reckon that will get old fast. Perhaps immediately. I will go with eVT 3 for now at least as a matter of course. It is free, and also recommended. Dr Dobbs Journal! I was recently reading an issue of that(much older) where they were making a BASIC language that could fit inside of 4K and had math functions with the addition of hacking in a calculator chip to your computer(1976). No such chip is available now, so I doubt I could replicate the experiment.

Anyway, reading the article...It seems to be a theme. Stick to the win 32 API as a general rule. Stray from that rule and prepare to do a lot of debugging. I will definitely bookmark this article. I bet there are a number of CE articles on there.

Speaking of which, do either of you know what Visual studio 6 Enterprise will run under? I have a Vista machine and a win 7 machine. It crashed immediately in windows 7. It's an "era accurate" VC++. I have no problem running it on my older machine...I switch off usage depending on compatibility needs. What are you guys running?

I primarily use eVT with the embedded visual C to target different SDKs. I also have education version of MSVC 6.0 and education version of the CE toolkit, but I think the license says that they can't be used for publishing apps. Hence I use the eVT package for the apps published on my site. I have these running on a laptop running Windows XP. Liked the setup of the machine so much that I cloned it into a VM executed from VirtualBox on a Linux variant OS (galliumOS).

My latest modification to a Windows CE app was actually built from the working VM. I added a timer to the ScrnGrab app, so I could re-focus the app that I wanted in the screenshot. The screenshot was the working port of TinyC (tcc) to run on the HP Jornada 820 natively to write apps on CE for CE.
 Top of the page
C:Amie
Posted 2018-12-10 8:47 PM
#

Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Member Nº:
smb_gaiden - 2018-12-10 6:38 PM

forbidden64 - 2018-12-09 5:42 PM

Definitely a lot of stuff to sort through. I got my HC-4600 today. The battery components are yet to arrive. When then do, I can pry open the battery and solder everything together. I can't wait to turn it on! Initially, all I will have for data transfer is the IRda port. I reckon that will get old fast. Perhaps immediately. I will go with eVT 3 for now at least as a matter of course. It is free, and also recommended. Dr Dobbs Journal! I was recently reading an issue of that(much older) where they were making a BASIC language that could fit inside of 4K and had math functions with the addition of hacking in a calculator chip to your computer(1976). No such chip is available now, so I doubt I could replicate the experiment.

Anyway, reading the article...It seems to be a theme. Stick to the win 32 API as a general rule. Stray from that rule and prepare to do a lot of debugging. I will definitely bookmark this article. I bet there are a number of CE articles on there.

Speaking of which, do either of you know what Visual studio 6 Enterprise will run under? I have a Vista machine and a win 7 machine. It crashed immediately in windows 7. It's an "era accurate" VC++. I have no problem running it on my older machine...I switch off usage depending on compatibility needs. What are you guys running?

I primarily use eVT with the embedded visual C to target different SDKs. I also have education version of MSVC 6.0 and education version of the CE toolkit, but I think the license says that they can't be used for publishing apps. Hence I use the eVT package for the apps published on my site. I have these running on a laptop running Windows XP. Liked the setup of the machine so much that I cloned it into a VM executed from VirtualBox on a Linux variant OS (galliumOS).

My latest modification to a Windows CE app was actually built from the working VM. I added a timer to the ScrnGrab app, so I could re-focus the app that I wanted in the screenshot. The screenshot was the working port of TinyC (tcc) to run on the HP Jornada 820 natively to write apps on CE for CE.

It would be interesting to do a binary compare of the bin from each and see if the Edu. version is tattooed in some way.
 Top of the page
hpc:factor« View previous thread · Developers Arena · View next thread »

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [15 messages per page]

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 56 - Executed queries : 9
Server Time now is: Wednesday, 12 December 2018 - 3:1