x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Roll Call: How many here are using a newer palmtop computer nowadays?

Duckworth Page Icon Posted 2018-12-26 1:43 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Since our favorite computing form factor seems to have returned, how many members here have joined in once again?

I have the Gemini and use it as my main phone and as a computer. Works great except for the keyboard isn't as nice as a Jornada's.

Anyone here using Geminis, GPD Wins/Pockets or One Mix devices frequently?
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2018-12-26 2:30 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Unfortunately, no. But I am working on getting a Gemini. So you can count me in as "when he gets the money he'll be with us". Lol.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2018-12-26 2:46 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Alas, ne. I went fully mobile earlier in the year and dock a laptop into 3 external screens now. The smartphone does the companion device bits now.

The rise of Arm processors might give our dog its day again, but for me they were a companion device, not a tiny primary device.

An 830g MP900c vs. a 900g Ultrabook these days. There's little in it any more compared to when we started when all laptops were 2KG-3KG.

While modern dumb cloud-terminal devices work well as companions, they hold no intrigue for me.
 Top of the page
Duckworth Page Icon Posted 2018-12-26 8:36 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

An 830g MP900c vs. a 900g Ultrabook these days. There's little in it any more compared to when we started when all laptops were 2KG-3KG.

I can see your point, C:Amie, in regards to a MobilePro, however, the Gemini is only 308g and easily fits in most pockets (well at least men's pockets). I think it's much more convenient for me as a server administrator to have my device with me all the time for editing files or viewing logs. And with a mosh shell, I can keep the exact same SSH session across any network which is super convenient.

That said, the Gemini is definitely not my main computer. I need some real iron for that task so I have a desktop and two laptops for more CPU intensive work.

Edited by Duckworth 2018-12-26 8:38 PM
 Top of the page
smb_gaiden Page Icon Posted 2018-12-28 6:15 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Duckworth - 2018-12-26 5:43 AM

Since our favorite computing form factor seems to have returned, how many members here have joined in once again?

I have the Gemini and use it as my main phone and as a computer. Works great except for the keyboard isn't as nice as a Jornada's.

Anyone here using Geminis, GPD Wins/Pockets or One Mix devices frequently?

Gemini since springtime 2018!
 Top of the page
Duckworth Page Icon Posted 2018-12-28 8:47 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

How would you compare the keyboard of the Gemini to our beloved HPCs, smb_gaiden?

I've never used a MobilePro so I can't really say but the Jornada keyboard is easier to type on and doesn't stick as much as the Gemini's does.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2018-12-29 12:37 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Unfortunately no new ones other than Sony Tablet P from 2011 / 2012. Mine is the one released in 2011. The dual-screen is very nice, but recently I just carry around my Macbook Pro.

If it was just for my server maintenance, I think I will use Sony Tablet P more, but having a keyboard is more accurate to type on. But this is one device I will keep till the very end. I'm hoping to do some more enhancements for it via softwares available on the internet / Google Play.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2018-12-29 3:07 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Gemini as my main phone. Pocket 1 for smallest computer in my collection (though I have the smaller Mbook M1, but that's hard to use beyond showing people how cool it is).

I may look into the GPD Micro PC, though I worry it may be too small, like the M1.

The trouble with the truly small screens of new HPC-wannabes is that Android lends itself the best--so far--to their touchscreens. Tried running Debian TP on the Gemini and it couldn't be used without a pointer and Debian was buggy to boot. Even with the 7" GPD Pocket, I rarely use its touch screen, either with Linux or Win10.

Jake
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2018-12-30 8:58 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Jake - 2018-12-30 12:07 AM
(though I have the smaller Mbook M1, but that's hard to use beyond showing people how cool it is).

Here's a Japanese page on Mbook M1 from 2005. That is neat!
http://www.itmedia.co.jp/pcuser/articles/0905/01/news066.html
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2018-12-30 1:01 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Hey, stingraze. Happy New Year to you and thanks for the link. Yeah, the M1 is one of the cooler machines, but a 4.8" screen makes serious computing tough. I run XP and a network-installed Xubuntu 14.04 and every time I turn the M1 on, I think, "This is one of the cooler machines," and then I turn it off and put it away.

Like the Sony Tablet P, the M1 is a device that's more fun to set up than it is to actually use.

Jake
 Top of the page
smb_gaiden Page Icon Posted 2018-12-31 7:25 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Duckworth - 2018-12-28 12:47 PM

How would you compare the keyboard of the Gemini to our beloved HPCs, smb_gaiden?

I've never used a MobilePro so I can't really say but the Jornada keyboard is easier to type on and doesn't stick as much as the Gemini's does.

I think both Jornada and MobilePro are better to type on than the Gemini. The size of the gemini compared to the CE devices is advantageous. The gemini is about the size of my Note 8 phone + phone case.

And on the other sub-thread:

Like the Sony Tablet P, the M1 is a device that's more fun to set up than it is to actually use.

Same experience for me with the Viliv N5. Fortunately it was bought used and then retained its value when it was sold after being neat, but not really usable. A crutch that got me by sometimes was using Remote Desktop or VNC (forget which) from a Surface RT to connect to the Viliv. Having two devices and one rather large was undesirable.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.172 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 12