x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Happy New Years - And a Question

Happy New Years - And a Question
OptionResults
I'm losing interest in antiquated handhelds2 Votes - [12.5%]
2 Votes [12.5%]
I'm gaining interest in antiquated handhelds1 Votes - [6.25%]
1 Votes [6.25%]
I love them just as much8 Votes - [50%]
8 Votes [50%]
I'm moving into new tech directions0 Votes - [0%]
I'm moving into new tech but still loving my old tech3 Votes - [18.75%]
3 Votes [18.75%]
Other2 Votes - [12.5%]
2 Votes [12.5%]

HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2018-12-31 6:15 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Firstly, Happy New Years everyone! Hope 2019 will bring good tidings to all.

As the years march one, and our devices grow older, are any of you losing interest? Any gaining new interest in these old devices? Any moving onto other things? Have your say in the poll as well as in the thread.
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2019-01-01 5:18 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Still just as fascinated with Handhelds as I was when I was a kid, looking at magazines and going to the store just to be able to see a Jornada 720!

I mean, smartphones today are mindblowing, but it still was far more exceptional back then and every Handheld PC was kind of unique in a way! It doesn't feel special in any way to be able to do anything anywhere, but I still remember how amazing using the internet on an old Handheld was

Anyway, I see so many people being interested in early PCs, I hope eventually people will also have more of an interest on where their smartphones originated from!

I don't mind though that the community is small, it's very nice to have a place to discuss things over here, and even though there's not that much "new" things to discuss, I always check the forums here regularily!

My big plan sometime is making a YouTube channel for reviewing and showing off old Handhelds and how you would have used them in the 90s and early 00s!
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2019-01-01 11:36 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I am the first "Other."

Will always hold Win CE devices near to my heart. But unless you're a collector, or are challenged to push the envelope, then why? I guess as a mobile word processor they still can hold their own. But for anything else…I''d say no.

I use my Android smartphone for 99% of my daily computing. Even my trusty desktop has had to take a backseat…

I figure even my phone will fade in a couple of years when they start implanting ARM chips directly into my brain with the ability of my brain to swap video input from my eyes to my virtual 3D display and then back.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2019-01-01 11:55 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Rich Hawley - 2019-01-01 3:36 PM

Will always hold Win CE devices near to my heart.

Isn't that how you're supposed to hold any PDA?
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2019-01-02 6:20 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Some day I'll kick up the dosh to repair my 5mx. That PDA I'm fond of. I'll always keep my MC16 (360LX) but purely for sentimental reasons at this point.
 Top of the page
Nuketank Page Icon Posted 2019-04-19 12:53 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

First "gaining interest" entry.
I've HAD an interest in H/PCs since I got a Dell Axim X30 a few years ago (as in, when they were new and current in 2004), and learned that they existed.
I used it heavily until it died a horrible death of even me, an experienced technician, being unable to keep it working.
My brother gave me my much-loved iTronix T5200 (that brought me here!), although it's ... showing its age, and I don't know how long I have before it too rests in pieces. (Next time it comes apart I'll take those pictures I promised in hardware support a few years ago, I swear! Still need to try to fix the backlight.)
But lurking here, and playing with the iTronix, and seeing that there are devices that run CIRCLES around my slow, old, disintegrating, squishy-keyed brick of indestructibility (such as the ever-loved Jornada 720) only inspires me more.
Oh, and while it's not an H/PC, it still runs Windows CE 5.0, so that weird little ruggedized PDA thing I ordered will keep me around even after the T5200's best by date ticks over.
That's not including the small collection of PDAs I had dropped in my lap from a yard sale...
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 42 - Executed queries : 37