x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Which Phone is your Daily Driver?

1 2 3
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2019-01-21 4:26 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

C:Amie - 2019-01-16 4:57 PM

I was given an iPhone once. It was in my house for about 3 weeks while I looked at XCode, worked out how awful objective-C is, worked out that I could write an iPhone app if I needed to, worked out that Apple bastardising their own API to preserve their dictatorial stranglehold on their income streams wasn't worth my time and then I sold the wretched thing as fast as possible.

I was given an iPad once too. That was eBay'd the same day, still shrink wrapped. I've literally no idea what that person was thinking giving me that nonsense. I find not showing contempt quite difficult. Imagine it like a scene in the godfather when you've insulted me on the day of my daughters wedding after I did you a favour on the day of my daughters wedding. It's that level of contempt...

DON'T GIVE ME APPLE. Don't even ask me to hold your shiny fruit. I will test to see how bendy it is... With a large hammer.

Smartphones huh? Great technology...

I was given a broken ipad mini... my friend that gave it to me had the best intentions. He knew I did not prefer apple but he knew my wife likes her iPhone. Well, I had never replaced a broken screen/digitizer/LCD on an ipad, but I knew I could. So I did. So, I gave it to my wife and she played with it for about a day. Today I asked her about it and she said that she preferred her kindle fire and for me to give it back to my friend. I was thinking I could use it, but after playing with it, I am thinking no. Good thing is this did not go into the trash and will continue to be used. Also, now I know I can repair iPads! And Maybe make some money!

Edited by Yoldering 2019-01-21 4:30 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-01-21 9:29 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Flip it and split it with your friend He'll be able to buy himself a kindle with it I suspect
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2019-01-21 8:43 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Nokia 6310i. Hoping to upgrade it to the ultimate firmware for the sake of closing a long forgotten Bluetooth bug (would probably increase its resale value too).

I also have the phone C:Amie mentioned but with LOS 15.1 (Oreo), and I don't use it as a phone. Being stuck on a Linux kernel version that's two years out of support makes me want to abandon it at the first convenient moment.

Edited by Paianni 2019-01-21 8:44 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-01-21 9:46 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Paianni - 2019-01-21 8:43 PM

Nokia 6310i. Hoping to upgrade it to the ultimate firmware for the sake of closing a long forgotten Bluetooth bug (would probably increase its resale value too).

I also have the phone C:Amie mentioned but with LOS 15.1 (Oreo), and I don't use it as a phone. Being stuck on a Linux kernel version that's two years out of support makes me want to abandon it at the first convenient moment.
Where have you got the info on the kernel being stuck from Paianni? I've not heard this?
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2019-01-21 11:05 PM
#
H/PC Elite

C:Amie - 2019-01-21 9:46 PM

Where have you got the info on the kernel being stuck from Paianni? I've not heard this?
The GS4 Mini's proprietary drivers (for the Snapdragon 400 SoC) were developed for Linux 3.4, which was the newest LTS release in early 2013, but it reached EOL in October 2016 (3.4.113). The kernel can't be upgraded as the drivers were never compiled for any other version. The only hope would be for open source drivers to be developed with support for all the SoC functionality, but that seems unlikely.

Only a few Android devices (e.g some newer Sony Xperias) get the privilege of official kernel upgrades, unfortunately.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-01-22 9:31 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Interesting, thanks. I guess I'd been running under an assumption that they'd be open sourced quite some time ago given the chip propensity in the market. Assumption eh.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 10