x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

The first electronic slide rule

Mjolnir Page Icon Posted 2019-02-01 1:37 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I saw this on Twitter and thought it might be of interest: https://twitter.com/Rainmaker1973/status/1091324887967371265

47 years ago today, Hewlett-Packard introduced the HP-35. "Introduced on February 1 1972, the Hewlett-Packard HP-35 was the first handheld electronic calculator sold by HP, and the first handheld ever to perform logarithmic and trigonometric functions with one keystroke. In effect it was the world's first electronic slide rule." http://www.vintagecalculators.com/html/the_hp-35_calculator.html
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2019-02-04 2:57 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I remember building a 4 function calculator back in 1973 from Heathkit. Tiny red little leds, cost around $80 on sale.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2019-02-04 8:50 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

I got to try and own one of those Japanese version of the calculator that had LEDs that are a little different from the ones made today. I think it was from Sharp?
More "analog"ish feel to it than the simple LCD ones I use daily. I think the LED was either red or blue-ish in color. Been born in 1989, those calculator made me feel nostalgic. My scientific calculator I used in high school was Texas Instruments TI-84.

Here's a site I found:
http://www.vintagecalculators.com/html/the_pocket_calculator_race.h...

Edited by stingraze 2019-02-04 8:51 AM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2019-02-04 12:08 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Cool web site. The IC-2009 was the Heathkit model I had…surprised they had it listed. What pictures don't show is how "thick" it really was.

Heathkit was one of my favorite catalogs in the '70s. Bought a ton of ham radio gear from them back then. Loved Heathkit, Lafayette Radio Electronics, Radio Shack, Schaak, Allied…spent a lot of my hard earned money on stuff that today you find sitting in a cardboard box in someone's garage.
 Top of the page
Mjolnir Page Icon Posted 2019-02-04 12:54 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

stingraze - 2019-02-04 8:50 AM

I got to try and own one of those Japanese version of the calculator that had LEDs that are a little different from the ones made today. I think it was from Sharp?
More "analog"ish feel to it than the simple LCD ones I use daily. I think the LED was either red or blue-ish in color. Been born in 1989, those calculator made me feel nostalgic. My scientific calculator I used in high school was Texas Instruments TI-84.

Here's a site I found:
http://www.vintagecalculators.com/html/the_pocket_calculator_race.h...

I put new batteries in my old TI-84+ Silver the other day and played with it for a while. I graduated in 1967. My little high school had no idea of what was a "scientific calculator." We still used charcoal and papyrus.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2019-02-04 10:35 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Cool!

The exact model of mine was TI-84 Plus, not the Silver version.

I used to play with the graphing capabilities, experimenting with the trigonometric functions, and other functions and graph it.
I guess I was fascinated with early stage of chaos theory.

I'm fascinated still with Edward Lorenz's work, especially about the butterfly effect.

Edited by stingraze 2019-02-04 10:36 PM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 10