x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

HP 360LX turns itself on when charging

nelson_chow Page Icon Posted 2019-03-05 7:43 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello,

I have a new (well, new to me) MC16 aka HP 360LX. I got some NIMH batteries and plugged in a charger. it Charges fine but it just would not switch off. You can try switch the machine off, within 2 seconds it turns itself on again.

I checked the power setting and changed the limited settings avaialble, nothing changes. Is there a way for it to charge and turn off at the same time? I do not want to burn-in the screen.

CHeers
Nelson
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-03-05 9:05 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It should turn off just fine.

It could be a problematic wake timer. Does it continue to do this after a hard reset?

Do you have a multimeter and can check that the power from the charger is smooth? If it's not the device might be thinking it's being plugged in and out frequently.
 Top of the page
nelson_chow Page Icon Posted 2019-03-06 11:04 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

HI C:Aime,

Thanks for your kind suggestions. I don't have a multimetre. I do however have another 360LX, i should give that a try when i have a moment.

It is great to see this forum is being actively maintained.

Cheers,
Nelson, from Australia
 Top of the page
nelson_chow Page Icon Posted 2019-03-06 11:08 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

C:Amie - 2019-03-05 8:05 PM

It should turn off just fine.

It could be a problematic wait timer. Does it continue to do this after a hard reset?

Do you have a multimeter and can check that the power from the charger is smooth? If it's not the device might be thinking it's being plugged in and out frequently.

Also just donated. Tiny amount. Will donate more in future when circumstance allows.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-03-06 12:17 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Thank-you Nelson. Hopefully we can get this resolved with you.

I have applied your Bronze subscription effective from today. Thanks for donating.
 Top of the page
nelson_chow Page Icon Posted 2019-03-13 12:27 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Interesting, it appears to be a design feature!

(thumbnail_image1 (1).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments thumbnail_image1 (1).jpg (97KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2019-03-13 2:19 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Hm... I don't know about Windows CE 2.0, but I remember my Windows CE 2.11 Sigmarion 1 could toggle it via a setting... hmm

Or maybe not... Thanks for the screenshot!

Just a thought: Is the NiMH a general use one and over the capacity of the genuine (OEM I mean)? Maybe it is confused as the capacity is different, or the charging characteristic is different or something....

Edited by stingraze 2019-03-13 2:24 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-03-13 8:48 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Interesting indeed. Must be a quirk of the 360!
 Top of the page
SirThoreth Page Icon Posted 2019-03-13 4:44 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

It is. The 360LX charging is monitored by software on the handheld, so it won't turn off while charging. It's been too long, but dif I recall, the 300LX did the same.

By the way, funny thing on the 360LX: if you pick up a USB charging cable for a Playstation Portable (one that goes from USB to the PSP barrel connector), the voltage and polarity are the same as the 360LX, so you can actually charge it from a USB port on a PC
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-03-13 6:00 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Interesting tip!
 Top of the page
nelson_chow Page Icon Posted 2019-03-15 11:41 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

SirThoreth - 2019-03-14 3:44 AM

It is. The 360LX charging is monitored by software on the handheld, so it won't turn off while charging. It's been too long, but dif I recall, the 300LX did the same.

By the way, funny thing on the 360LX: if you pick up a USB charging cable for a Playstation Portable (one that goes from USB to the PSP barrel connector), the voltage and polarity are the same as the 360LX, so you can actually charge it from a USB port on a PC

That is pretty cool tip. I just am quite reluctant to charge it, because i am worried how it can burn my screen =)
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2019-03-16 9:43 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I have had a 360lx for quite a while and never had the screen burn in. I may have been lucky. But I've noticed that with all my handhelds, I've never had a single issue of screen burn in.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.204 - Cached queries : 49 - Executed queries : 31