x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jornada 720 VGA out to HDMI

Saidp Page Icon Posted 2019-03-11 9:08 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hi!
Has someone tried to hook up Jornada 720 to HDMI using VGA to HDMI converter? link to the adapter: VGA to HDMI converter. Since Jornada 720 VGA-out card uses the regular VGA signals, I am sure this adapter would work. However, how is the experience on large screens? Can I for example, play some WAD games full screen (6640x480 is great for me)? If not on WinCE, is it possible to go full screen on Linux (hopefully Jlime has VGA-out drivers)?

Thank you for your valuable information.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2019-03-11 11:01 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

I haven't heard of someone try HDMI using VGA to HDMI with a Jornada 720.

Nice idea.
I also think it will work, there is no problem theoretically.

About full screen, you just have to try and see how it turns out. It is either of the two: small or enlarged.

I don't know if the Linux for Jornada 720 supports / has VGA out drivers.
 Top of the page
Saidp Page Icon Posted 2019-03-12 3:32 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thank you, stingraze! I am waiting for my VGA to HDMI adapter. I will post here the results once I receive and test it.
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2019-03-12 10:16 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Do you have a VGA out card that actually mirrors the screen? I don't own one, but as far as I know they were mostly meant to be an output device for Powerpoint slides?
 Top of the page
Dave Wurm Page Icon Posted 2019-03-12 6:06 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Awhile ago, I spent quite a bit of time, trying to get full screen VGA out of my J720. What I discovered was...

With the HP VGA out card, full screen output is only possible for PPT presentations (using the internal CE version of PPT, for which PPT presentations must be converted to Pocket PowerPoint PPV presentations.) With ALL other applications, the output from this card is whatever is on the J720 screen (640x240 - half high screen).

The best solution that I found for presentation software with J720 is Margi Presenter-to-Go. The version that I have includes a Margi VGA output CF card which fits a CF to PCMCIA adapter, to plug into the J720. Software must be loaded via Active Sync from your PC. If you have MS PPT (versions 1997 to 2002) on your PC, the Margi install will add a button to the PPT program. This button allows easy conversion of existing PPT presentations (with adjustment of some parameters) to the Margi format (.pdb).

The Margi program, on the J720 allows re-ordering of slides and limited use of presentation notes. It displays full screen, with a couple of different selectable resolutions.

However, it will NOT provide full screen output for any other application.

Margi Presenter-to-Go can still be found new-in-the-box on ebay, for under $25. The package includes CF VGA card, IR remote control (communicates directly with the card), short VGA adapter cable, and software. The included software may or may not work with J720. Correct version is available on this forum.

This topic has been discussed thoroughly on several forum threads, a few are listed here...
https://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=17179&st...
https://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=16779&po...
https://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=15236&po...
https://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=2854&pos...
https://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=15397&po...

Edited by Dave Wurm 2019-03-12 6:08 PM
 Top of the page
Saidp Page Icon Posted 2019-03-12 6:28 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I am still waiting for the VGA-out adapter. As Dave Wurm pointed out, HP VGA-out should be able mirror the screen of Jornada 720 at 640x240. Full screen is only supported in Presentations. I will definitely do a full test in different applications as well as in Jlime Linux. Perhaps, full screen mirroring may be supported with Jlime. We will see. Until then, someone with HP VGA-out could help us here whether Jlime works full screen.
 Top of the page
Saidp Page Icon Posted 2019-03-12 6:49 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Dave Wurm, are you saying Margi VGA output CF card will provide mirroring of any apps on Jornada 720 to my TV? That would mean I would not need HP VGA-out since Margi VGA adapter is doing the same function. Or does Margi VGA adapter work with presentations only?
 Top of the page
Saidp Page Icon Posted 2019-03-12 7:00 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

What I want from VGA adapter is to be able to use Linux terminal, type text on text editors and see what I am typing on my TV. Do both of them offer such capability? or is it only HP VGA-out that offers such a functionality?
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2019-03-12 7:04 PM
#
H/PC Elite

The OSSC would be good for this sort of thing, but it is quite expensive. Can't order it atm as the outlet linked above are moving to Ireland (can't imagine why).

Edited by Paianni 2019-03-12 7:38 PM
 Top of the page
Saidp Page Icon Posted 2019-03-12 8:46 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hi, Paianni
How would I use that OSS? Jornada 720 has a PCMCIA slot and I would use PCMCIA to VGA-out adapter to mirror its screen.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2019-03-12 11:17 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

You all said it, and it's been posted lots of times.

The standard hvga out of the J720 is 640x240 pixels. Convert that to an hdmi signal, it's still 640x240.

To get a vga screen, 640x480, you need to use special software to enable it. And the only software ever written to do that was for PowerPoint presentations. Be it Margi Presenter or Westtek Clearview, or Conduits Pocket Slides.
 Top of the page
Saidp Page Icon Posted 2019-04-05 4:18 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Finally, I was able to make HDMI work after I received VGA out adapter. It has little bit of lag, but very usable for text typing.

Does anyone know if this adapter has a driver under Linux? That would make Jornada 720 much usable.

Edited by Saidp 2019-04-05 4:21 PM
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2019-04-05 9:55 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

That is very nice!
Great work!

Edited by stingraze 2019-04-05 10:09 PM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 8