x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

[REQ:Global] Casio Cassiopia A20-E / MobilePro 7xx Serial Cable

Theostar100 Page Icon Posted 2019-03-13 6:15 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I own a Casio Cassiopeia A20-E and was advised i go to HPCbay, I am completely new to this website and know little to nothing about serial port stuff. does anyone know how I could get a RS-232C to fit into the PDA so i can transfer stuff? thanks.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2019-03-14 12:57 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BUZ0K68/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_...

I bought this for use with my Psion. RS232 > USB can be tricky and not all adapters are created equal, but this one does fine, was recommended by veteran Psion users. That said, i have not used it with my WinCE 2.0 devices.

Jake
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-03-14 1:30 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Jake,

This is following on from https://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=18569&po...

I think the OP needs an actual serial cable for the Cassiopeia vs a serial adapter.

Title changed and added REQ.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2019-03-14 2:19 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Ah, so the OP is missing a cable for the business side of the Cassio. Got it.

Jake
 Top of the page
Theostar100 Page Icon Posted 2019-03-14 3:42 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Jake, I have NO idea about serial cables or adapters, if I do it's little. I can't find a cable for this thing. I've looked and for all i know it's most likely a custom one. Do you know here I could get a cable that fits? I may seem dumb, but I really need help and I feel stupid, probably because I am.

Thanks,
Theo
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2019-03-15 12:17 PM
#
H/PC Elite

There's really no point in physically synchronising these devices anymore. Just get a CompactFlash card and transfer CABs (some extracted from Win32 installers) that way.

Edited by Paianni 2019-03-15 12:19 PM
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2019-03-15 2:11 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Yes, the faster and easier solution would be just getting a Compact Flash with a size that is recognizable by Cassopeia A-20 to transfer file.
Step 1. Connect Compact Flash to the USB reader that is attached to your PC
Step 2. transfer the CAB / .exe file with the correct CPU type. (SH3)
Step 3. Connect Compact Flash to Cassiopeia A-20 run CAB / .exe on your device from File Explorer.

Top of the page
Theostar100 Page Icon Posted 2019-03-15 3:39 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Paianni, Do you mean like use the CompactFlash Card that the Casio Runs on? becuase I thought of just inserting it and putting the stuff on it and then installing it on the casio.
 Top of the page
Theostar100 Page Icon Posted 2019-03-15 3:43 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

ok, i think it broke, because as far as i know, it was off, and I put the card back in and now it is not turning on, maybe the batterries, maybe i broke it, it made a quiet repeating sound, idk and i think im having a mental breakdown.

Edited by Theostar100 2019-03-15 5:56 PM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2019-03-15 8:51 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I don't know if you did break something, but if you did, don't despair--most everybody here has snapped something off a device or two. Nature of the game. Especially given their age.

The real question is: is this format something you'll use?

If yes, and your current device truly is broken, then keep your eyes peeled for another device on ebay, etc.. The gray-scale Windows CE 2.0 devices, like your own, are cool because they run on AA batteries, but somewhat of a hassle because their OS is truly antiquated, even for Windows CE.

A Jornada 720 or an NEC device that runs Windows 3.0, or even devices that run CE 4.2, might hold you in better stead for learning about the magical world of HPC's.

Ask yourself what you want to do with a handheld, then you can post here with your goals, and veterans can bring you up to speed.

For starters, if you're truly interested in syncing with Outlook, you have to move to a Jornada 720 or above, and you will need the dock/cable. Browsing/internet access will be an issue with any level of CE.

But if you're just looking for something to write with, CE 2.0 will be fine (screen visibility not withstanding), and as our well-versed stingraze suggested, swapping files with the mothership via compact flash card is the easiest route.

Jake
 Top of the page
Theostar100 Page Icon Posted 2019-03-15 11:21 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

To: Jake
My main use for this thing is for writing.
all that happened was it was turned off (to my knowlege) and i went to check the compact flash, and it make a quiet clicking noise, and then i turned it off (altough it was alrady off) and nothing is happening anymore, i may of broke it or the AA have ran out, made sense since the batteieries kept getting low and suspeding by itself but i am clueless, guess ill have to hope it works and it's just the AAs that need new ones.
Thanks

Edit: I wanted to get a colour pda, (Joranda 720, but you just cant find many on ebay at least for me.)

Edited by Theostar100 2019-03-16 12:08 AM
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2019-03-16 10:43 AM
#
H/PC Elite

"Quiet clicking noise" - you're trying to use a Microdrive? Those have been obsolete since the noughties, a normal solid-state CF card should work just fine.
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2019-03-16 9:54 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Yeah, that sounds like a microdrive. CF cards have no moving parts, so they'd make no noise. There are quite a few 16 megabyte compact flash cards for sale on eBay for 10 bucks, 8mb for about 7 bucks.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2019-03-17 2:52 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

HPC:Fan - 2019-03-16 9:54 PM

Yeah, that sounds like a microdrive. CF cards have no moving parts, so they'd make no noise. There are quite a few 16 megabyte compact flash cards for sale on eBay for 10 bucks, 8mb for about 7 bucks.

16 mega byte? You don't pay money for 16 megabyte CF cards. Surely?
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2019-03-20 4:31 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Seven bucks isn't too bad, I'm sure you can find them cheaper if you look harder. All my CF cards are in Scandinavia and I'm here state side, or I'd offer a couple.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 11